Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Calling other woman mom....
I have called friends' moms 'mom' no biggie 7 14.58%
Nope, can't do it, feels wrong. 34 70.83%
Meh, it's just a word........who cares? 2 4.17%
Hershey bar with almonds 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I don't think Pauls family is my family. I am MARRIED to him, he is my husband, not my brother. The only way his family could be my family is if he was my brother and if he were my brother I certainly wouldn't have married him.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
<--------Orson

I probably should have mentioned this in my original post!

Adoptions and/or step parents I don't consider in the same category. That's just completely different than calling friends' moms Mom.

Anyway, I have 3 step children. Their mom died when they were ages 2, 5, and 6. I have been their step mother 13 years, so longer than they had their birth mother and they all call me mom. (which is fine because I love them dearly and feel as though they are mine)

Honestly though, if she were alive (and I was step mom still) and the kids wanted to call me mom, I think it's something I would discuss with her. If it hurt her feelings or was something that made her feel uncomfortable it wouldn't happen.

AND..........

I'm SO glad to see that I'm not the weird one for a change!
I have seen that post on Facebook more times than one and always thought maybe I was the weirdo for thinking it was weird! WOOT! LOL
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah it weirds me out to call anyone else Mom. My MIL and I are very close and I absolutely consider her family but I just CAN'T call her mom. Luckily, she understands this and it doesn't hurt her feelings. So I just call her by her first name or Grammy when Hannah is around

I don't know why I feel this way. My mother certainly doesn't care if I call anyone else Mom. it's just a weird quirk of mine. Now hubby does call my parents Mom and Dad. he's comfortable with it, my parents are comfortable with it. it works lol but it's just not something I can reciprocate. For the longest time I didn't call his parents ANYTHING. Any situation where I would have to call out to one of them... I'd avoid those moments like the plague. Finally one day my MIL called me on it and said "you know... you don't call me anything. What would you like to call me?" that's when I told her about my issue about calling anyone else "mom" and she said "that's ok... just call me Peggy" and that's what I call her lol. I talk to her on the phone everyday just like I do with my own mom but still can't do it lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Silence! I ban you!

So either I'm the "weird" one or you're all neurotic
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I don't think Pauls family is my family. I am MARRIED to him, he is my husband, not my brother. The only way his family could be my family is if he was my brother and if he were my brother I certainly wouldn't have married him.
What?? I'm trying to understand the statement "the only way for my in-law family to be my family is if my husband was my brother"? It just doesn't make sense to me.

When I married my husband, I married into his family, and became a member of his family. I attend family dinners and events that are for family members only. I gained a mother, siblings, and multiple relatives-in-laws. They consider me a daughter of the family and love me as such... In returns, I consider myself a member of the family and treat it with as much respect as I would my own. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved My MIL has two daughters and three daughters-in-laws... and if you see the five of us together, you wouldn't be able to tell which one is in-laws and which one is by-blood.

I realize that not everyone is as lucky as I am when it comes to the in-laws.. but I'm not alone with the the mentality/reality of "when you marry someone, you're marrying into his/her family", am I?

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
So either I'm the "weird" one or you're all neurotic
Take your pick Eddie........probably truth in both!

Seriously though, I do think it's less of an issue for guys. Don't know why, I just think it is for the most part.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

My Mum is mine and my sisters Mum only!

My Photos
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My mom has been called "Momma Smeltzer!" or "The Other Mom" by quite a few different kids, mainly very good friends that spend all their time at our house. She says they are her other kids, so they call her their other mom. I have no problem with that at all. That being said, I've never called anyone mom (or dad) besides my own parents and I doubt I ever will, even with my boyfriend's family. Mom is my mom, Dad is my dad. That's just the way it is.

Now, it was rather funny when my parents and I met up with my boyfriend and his father to go out to eat. When my boyfriend introduced my parents, he said, "Dad, this is...Dad and Mom." LOL

Quote:
I realize that not everyone is as lucky as I am when it comes to the in-laws.. but I'm not alone with the the mentality/reality of "when you marry someone, you're marrying into his/her family", am I?
No, I have that mentality as well. My boyfriend's family is like an extended family to me. When we get married, I expect to have all of the same commitments/relationships with his family as I do with my own extended family. And I would absolutely hate it if he didn't expect to be a part of my family. Family is family - blood doesn't matter.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Felurian

If someone wants mine they are more than welcome to her

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy View Post
What?? I'm trying to understand the statement "the only way for my in-law family to be my family is if my husband was my brother"? It just doesn't make sense to me.

When I married my husband, I married into his family, and became a member of his family. I attend family dinners and events that are for family members only. I gained a mother, siblings, and multiple relatives-in-laws. They consider me a daughter of the family and love me as such... In returns, I consider myself a member of the family and treat it with as much respect as I would my own. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved My MIL has two daughters and three daughters-in-laws... and if you see the five of us together, you wouldn't be able to tell which one is in-laws and which one is by-blood.

Because in order for Pauls mother to be my mother and his sisters to be my sisters, he would have to be my brother. I don't see them as my family. I am not related to him or them. I don't want them as my family. His older sister is my VERY close friend but is not my sister. I can't stand his younger sister and the feeling is mutual. His mother is just that. HIS mother. Not mine. They are not my family. I married him, not them. Some people think you marry a family, that's great for them. I didn't. I married a man.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/