Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Calling other woman mom....
I have called friends' moms 'mom' no biggie 7 14.58%
Nope, can't do it, feels wrong. 34 70.83%
Meh, it's just a word........who cares? 2 4.17%
Hershey bar with almonds 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
<--------Orson

Default The word Mom...

I keep seeing FB posts which say things like:

Friends call your mom Mrs ------
REAL friends just call her mom

I don't agree. I have a mom. Your mom is your mom. I might love you like a sister and love your mom like an aunt..........but I will not and cannot call her mom. Further more, I do not want my kids' friends to call me mom either. Mrs. Cooper will do.........Angie to their very close friends is fine after they've been given leave to do so.

I have a mother in law, I do not call her mom either and won't as long as my mother still breathes. To me, in my heart, it feels like disrespect to my own mother and I can't do it.

How do you feel about this issue? *poll coming*
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

That would be WIERD if someone called my mom mom and she wasn't actually their mother. I don't like that at all.

Then again, the other side of my family is super close to our grandmother ("Omah", and growing up ALL of my cousin's friends called her Omah, and still do! She loved it though, and I didn't find that all that wierd.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
That would be WIERD if someone called my mom mom and she wasn't actually their mother. I don't like that at all.

Then again, the other side of my family is super close to our grandmother ("Omah", and growing up ALL of my cousin's friends called her Omah, and still do! She loved it though, and I didn't find that all that wierd.
Agree, that's where it gets cloudy! I don't mind calling other people Grandma or Grandpa if they ask to be called that. Doesn't bother me at all, I call my husband's grandparents that, no problem.

Not mom or dad though, that's different! *shrugs* weird, LOL
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Uh, no. My mom is and was Mrs. Lastname to all my friends. My parents are still Mr. and Mrs. Lastname to my husband of 4 years.

I call his parents by their first names. She asked me to call her mom, and I tried...but I just can't do it. I could call her Hilda Pigglebottom before I called her Mom.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Owned by 3 mutts

I call my mil mom & my husband calls my mom mom. We became one & joined each other's family when we married each other... so my parents (and grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc..) also became his, and vice versa.

Beside my mil, I've never called anybody else mom. I do call the Priests, with whom I have close relationship with, dad. They are, after all, Fathers

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Behavior Nerd

Yea I can't even bring myself to call my MIL/FIL mom or dad - it's just wrong to me - so they are Nancy and Jeff or "Scott's Mom/Dad". It never even occurred to me to call friends' parents mom/dad either!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Nope. I have a mother. Pauls family is not my family. They are his family. I have my own Mom and Dad and I don't want or need his. I call his mom Margaret and he calls my parents by their first names.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

I always thought it was weird to call your friend's mom mom. I do have a "second mom" but that's her description - her name is Lisa.

I never thought about referring to my MIL/FIL as mom/dad.....I think I would've been really weirded out by them asking me to. I already have a mom and dad thanks. I do wish someone would tell me what to call Matt's gparents. LOL.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I'll call some people I know Momma Jill, or Mama Mickey etc. Those are always the assistant coaches who do more mothering then coaching, so its appropriate. They really are my other moms, and I like that I can call them that. Its just a name, it doesn't really matter imo
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

For me, no I can't call anyone else Mom. But 1 or 2 of my friends called my mom, mom. My house was the one where everyone was all the time, so they all knew my mom way better than I knew theirs.

My husband however does call his best friend's mom, mom, because she was like his mom the years when he was living with his dad growing up. (she is not his step mom, he just spent so much time at his best friend's house).