Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Default I hope nobody has a telemarketer job here, but here goes nothin'...

I hate to be rude to telemarketers, but I don't want to listen to them. What can I say? They often mumble as though they have a full mouth of Cream of Wheat...and they try to get their whole 2 pages they're usually reading behind them as fast as a jet can fly to Chicago. And not only that....even if they didn't, I still don't want to listen to them. They might get me to buy something. No, those calls (not the people personally) are really annoying, especially when you're right in the middle of something important, like cooking or eating or watching your favorite show. They always seem to call at the most inopportune moments, not that there is any opportune time. I've even had them call as early as 8:00 in the morning! The nerve, waking people up like that. They don't know that I'm up by 5:30 or 6. lol.

So, I don't exactly want to be rude so I usually say something like, "Not interested, thanks anyway." And then I just hang up. I cut them off with that because I know that letting them insert one single word will be the end of my freedom. I'll be chained. My mother does that...gets all engaged, stands there and listens to them pressure her and I tell her to just hang up. She doesn't want to be rude either.

What do you do? I've heard some really funny stories. My sister-in-law's father says, "Just a minute, I'll get the lady of the house." And then he just sets the phone down for a looooooooooooooooooooong time. LOL.

What about saying "hello" like you always do when you answer the phone and when you can tell it's a tellemarketer starting the schpiel (sp?) you just continue as though it's a recorded message. "You have reached so and so. Please leave a message after the tone." Of course, then you'd have to make a tone of some kind. It probably wouldn't sound very electronic if you use your own voice.

So, let's hear it... what kinds of stories do you have of you or someone else of how they handle these kinds of calls? I know I've heard of some other funny ones...just can't think of them now.

In all fairness...poor souls. Nobody likes these calls. At least I don't think so. And they're just trying to do their job. I use to make cold calls when I was in real estate and I also sold newspapers door to door. So, I know how painful it can be. The door to door wasn't as bad. I sold loads of papers for the Seattle Times years ago...made a ton of money and got a promotion to sales trainer and got awards for top sales person of all the offices of the Seattle Times.
I don't know how I did it. But I did. lol. I just turned on the charming me I guess.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

I always politely tell them no thank you, I'm not interested. If they persist I get rude. I've actually had a few telemarketers hang up on me
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

I just quickly interrupt them saying, "Sorry, not interested. Please remove my number from your company's call list. Thank you" and hang up.

Now if it is one of those automatic dialers where there is no one there when you answer because there is no rep available for the call yet I just set the phone down and let them waste some money paying for a call.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I hit the "A" button on my remote and it goes directly to the answering machine. They don't leave messages

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

I'm pretty much always rude to them, unless I happen to get a polite person. They're always pushy, annoying, condescending type of people. I had one call me at 9pm once. I lost it. One of those, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" type of moments where you actually manage to get them to shut their mouths. I do the same to the ones that come to the door, religious or otherwise.

I can't stand it. You tell them, NO, and they come right back and ignore what you say, completely rude. There's really little option but to be rude with them as well, whether it's being short or simply hanging up.

I've had the one or two that stops and says, "Thank you for your time, here's our information if you're interested in the future" and politely hangs up. But they only occur once in a blue moon, when there also happens to be a lunar eclipse.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Felurian

I try to have a little compassion, since I know they've got supervisors standing over them, but if they get pushy it's a quick, "I said no." CLICK

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

I just say, "Not interested," and hang up. Why waste our time?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I used to have a Toy Story Woody doll for exactly this occassion. Cause I bet they aren't expecting "There's a SNAKE in my BOOTS!" on the other end

Then I hang up.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Top Dog

I especially hate when they call my cell phone. I have only given my number out to my immediate family and I still get at least 2 telemarketer calls a day. I just got one the other day to lower my interest rate, to talk to a rep press 1. When she picked up I told her to stop calling my cell phone and she said f*** you and hung up. I reported that number to the donot call list but I have reported many numbers and I don't think they do anything.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Someone called my cell and asked to speak to me. I asked him what it was in connection with. He asked to speak to me again. I asked in connection with again. Back and forth until he told me to go f@*k myself and hung up. WTH is wrong with these people??

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/