Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I use My Fitness Pal too. I use it as a carb counter. I am really bad at this diabetes thing, and if it wasn't for myfitnesspal I would have probably gone into a coma from DKA repeatedly by now. I add up the carbs I am eating, and then use an insulin to carb ratio to inject a bolus.

Incidentally, this is a great weight loss program, since eating anything is a huge hassle, and fraught with difficulties due to my frequent errors.

***Addendum- I do need to mention that since last year, when I was on long acting insulin only, I gained 25 evil pounds. I have lost five of them again in the last month.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused

Last edited by drmom777; 04-15-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Honesty is necessary
Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Just try me..

I too use my fitness pal, well on and off. Pssst Renee what is your user name? You can do it Dizzy
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Felurian

Renee750il

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I can't recommend belly dancing too highly! My teacher has moved to Asheville, but I invested in a couple of DVDs (she told me that's how she started when I talked to her last) and this is the ONLY kind of workout that has ever, EVER made this kind of impact, this fast and thoroughly. Burns a ton of calories, too. And it makes you feel . . .

It changes the way you carry yourself, too. Your walk, posture, everything.
Would you mind sharing the DVD names? I'm super interested in belly dancing but I'm really uncoordinated and not very willing to embarrass myself in a class room. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Would you mind sharing the DVD names? I'm super interested in belly dancing but I'm really uncoordinated and not very willing to embarrass myself in a class room. Lol.
Me too!!! Always been my hold back on any class situation that requires coordination....
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Felurian

I love this one http://www.amazon.com/Tribal-Fusion-.../dp/B000621452

Her instructions are amazing and easy to follow and she includes intervals of yoga stretches that strengthen and lengthen those core muscles.

I am ordering this set as well. I've seen some previews of it and I love it http://www.amazon.com/From-Zoe-disc-...=3R4YLETAKLAJV

There are some that are more geared toward workouts, but I prefer the ones that are aimed at learning the actual dance, especially since I have found even in the past with contemporary dance classes that the actual dance practice is a far better workout than the "workout!"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I failed at the 1st hurdle...!! I didn't go. I went to see a friend after work, and then got home late (with 10 mins to spare) and didn't go!!

It's like I have a mental block. I probably need to lose about 2 stone (24lbs) maybe 2.5 stone (31lbs).. probably not even that much - I am not after being skinny especially!

But I have some mental block. My housemate is a trained counsellor - I have told her to give me some therapy LOL
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 PM
APBT crazy!

I feel for you. I am doing Zumba to help me lose weight. It isn't for everyone though, it's very intense cardio. You can burn up to 800 - 1,000 calories an hour.

I take classes once a week (plan on taking two in the future.) and have the zumba game as well. My instructor is awesome, I think I have lost a bit of weight from starting Zumba in the middle of February but I can't say how much. It's totally FUN and you don't even feel like it's a work out because you're dancing. It also makes you very happy, atleast it makes me really happy.

If you are uncomfortable taking classes in front of everyone (I was believe me, but my instructor and the girls in my class are very supportive and I am very comfortable with them now.), you can buy the DVDs online on http://www.zumba.com and just work out an hour or two a day. Zumba isn't going to do it all for you but it will certainly help.

If you're unsure what Zumba is:
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/about/

You can also find classes in your area, there are a few like I would say 4 in my town but I am totally comfortable in the class I am in. My instructor is from Argentina which I think is awesome.
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/parties/search/

DVDs if you don't want to do it in a class setting. I don't think they are very much!
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/shop/category/dvd_s/

You can do this, zumba is just a suggestion I have since I love it so much and am addicted! But we're all behind you. Another suggestion, maybe you can offer to walk shelter dogs at a shelter and take them on long walks? That will certainly help too. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I love this one http://www.amazon.com/Tribal-Fusion-.../dp/B000621452

Her instructions are amazing and easy to follow and she includes intervals of yoga stretches that strengthen and lengthen those core muscles.

I am ordering this set as well. I've seen some previews of it and I love it http://www.amazon.com/From-Zoe-disc-...=3R4YLETAKLAJV

There are some that are more geared toward workouts, but I prefer the ones that are aimed at learning the actual dance, especially since I have found even in the past with contemporary dance classes that the actual dance practice is a far better workout than the "workout!"
Thanks Renee! And yeah, I would want to learn the real dance - if I feel like I'm just working out I'm much less likely to do it.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I failed at the 1st hurdle...!! I didn't go. I went to see a friend after work, and then got home late (with 10 mins to spare) and didn't go!!

It's like I have a mental block. I probably need to lose about 2 stone (24lbs) maybe 2.5 stone (31lbs).. probably not even that much - I am not after being skinny especially!

But I have some mental block. My housemate is a trained counsellor - I have told her to give me some therapy LOL

While exercise is very important, diet is more important when it comes to weight loss. So even if you can't motivate yourself to go exercise right away, if you change your eating habits you will still see progress