Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default The 1st step is admitting you have a problem.

And I have a problem!! I'm turning into a big fat fatty and I can't stop!

I have to accept I've gone up a clothes size now

I normally can get a hold of things and stop eating crap, but I'm struggling... so I'm joining slimming world tomorrow for some support.

There, I said it!!!

It's hit the peak, time to start feeling good about how I look again, and more importantly about how I fit i feel!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Felurian

Getting a handle on it like that is the best first step. It's so easy to deny it!

Strength to you

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Cloudcandy

I know how you feel,I've had to admit that this year too!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Twin 2.0

I've been getting myself put back to where I want to be as well!

Admitting is the first step, now you've got a game plan. Just stick with it and go enjoy that Welsh countryside more!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Super-Genius

Good luck Dizzy! Losing weight is an incredible thing.

Here is how Tanya and I did it. (She lost about 90 lbs, I lost 40.)

www.sparkpeople.com

You put in what you weigh, what you WANT to weigh and when you want to get there. It then asks you a few other questions about your lifestyle. It then produces your plan. How many calories, how many fats, carbs, etc...

Then its on YOU to stick to it. That is how, IMO, it works. If you WANT to lose the weight you will. No gimmicks, no 'special' food, none of the usual 'rules and no crazy 'supplements'. It just becomes your lifestyle. Even now, after we are not really playing the "game", we just eat a certain way and we are maintaining our goal weights.

Some things that really helped us? Lowfat microwave popcorn for evening snacks. Cutting out a lot of carbs, having meat and veggie only meals. Less booze. ( I know, I know.... LOL) Most of all... NO FAST FOOD and no regular pop. Eat meals you prepare yourself.

Good luck. It will change your life.
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

I just realized I have gained 20 pounds in the last year, oh I knew I had gained some but I guess I was in denial about how much. I was at my perfect weight this time last year, I hope to get back to it by mid summer.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Felurian

I can't recommend belly dancing too highly! My teacher has moved to Asheville, but I invested in a couple of DVDs (she told me that's how she started when I talked to her last) and this is the ONLY kind of workout that has ever, EVER made this kind of impact, this fast and thoroughly. Burns a ton of calories, too. And it makes you feel . . .

It changes the way you carry yourself, too. Your walk, posture, everything.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

You can do it! Some great tips given already. What has helped me too, although I still have some more to lose, is getting interested in cooking, using loads of veggies and healthy meats. I lost initially about 40 lbs. Experimenting with lots of herbs and trying a lot of variety has been pretty fun. I love sea food so living near Seattle, there is always lots of good, fresh fish, especially salmon, my fav.

Anyhow, once you get on the roll, you'll do it. What I've done is basically cut out a lot of the bad carbs, white flour etc, lower the fat, but not eliminate it, increased veggies big time and use nice, fairly lean meats, fish, beans...stuff like that. I lost the majority by counting calories pretty much, but now I'm just estimating and not being quite stringent enough, so I'm a little stuck here with another 10 or more lbs to go. 10 first. Then maybe another 5-10. It's really hard when you get older...everything just slows way down. arrrggg. Plus, going out a couple times a month at least, (eating pizza and Thai food with those wide rice noodles) doesn't help, especially when you add beer to the equation. And chocolate here and there. Eh-hem...have issues with chocolate.

Lots of exercise is good too. I don't care what "they" say about it not helping to lose weight. (well, maybe not so much weight, but fat) I think it does. Plus, it is so good for you for many reasons. I got to the Y most days and do a variety of things. Haven't tried belly dancing. They offer it. Today it was fun at the pool. There were only 2 other people in it. Had the locker room to myself and the Jacuzzi too.

So, maybe that thing Puck posted would be a help to you. Good luck. You can do it! Just dive in and start having fun with cooking. Play with it, try interesting things that are healthy and not too fattening. Fill up with lots of fiber and lots of water too. Go for it!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

I am rejoining Weight Watchers tomorrow, I find for me, I need the accountability of the weekly weigh in....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Felurian

I've been using www.myfitnesspal.com to track. It's helped to be able to see a progress graph and keep up with carbs and calories and how much I've burned through exercise as I go through the day.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian