Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

Just a bit on the prices. Judge's first litter was priced at $600-800 which is cheap for GSDs. But they were from unproven parents who had no titles at the time. His upcoming litter will be $1000-1500 as he has a couple little titles and he is now a proven producer.

I can say that I personally won't pay more than $1500 for a puppy from my chosen breeds! I think breeders can work with certain individuals based on knowledge, experience with the breed, working titles on other dogs etc.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

As far as I know with farm bred or trial bred BCs prices are 400-600. So the people that I know that have working bred dogs think it'd outrageous that other breeders want 1200 or 2000 for them. The general opinion i hear is that they can get a dog just as good if not Better for 300, why would someone charge 2000 other than to make money? Considering that BCs don't need as many health tests like MRI (Cavs) and cardiac (Dobes) and considering litters are often 6+ puppies, where does the money go.

That being said I don't have a problem Paying 2000 for a puppy considering Paps are a pretty expensive breed. Nia was 1500 on a s/n contract so if I wanted a full registration or co-owned show dog I could very well be looking at the 2000 range. However, for BCs I dont know that I would pay that much because that's extremely high compared to other breeders.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

I'd like to add the top opinion is not my own, just what I hear from others in the work community. Of course it is likely very different from a show or sport community.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
As far as I know with farm bred or trial bred BCs prices are 400-600. So the people that I know that have working bred dogs think it'd outrageous that other breeders want 1200 or 2000 for them. The general opinion i hear is that they can get a dog just as good if not Better for 300, why would someone charge 2000 other than to make money? Considering that BCs don't need as many health tests like MRI (Cavs) and cardiac (Dobes) and considering litters are often 6+ puppies, where does the money go.

That being said I don't have a problem Paying 2000 for a puppy considering Paps are a pretty expensive breed. Nia was 1500 on a s/n contract so if I wanted a full registration or co-owned show dog I could very well be looking at the 2000 range. However, for BCs I dont know that I would pay that much because that's extremely high compared to other breeders.
One reason I can understand high-ish pricing is all of the trialing they do with their dogs. My one BC last weekend, to get his RN and CGN cost me $140 alone, NOT including the price of gas and the cost of taking classes and those associated fees. And that was for one title + the CGN. I think of all the titles some of their dogs have in varying sports and can imagine the cost of getting those accomplishments and the amount of money and time spent on training them for competition.

Now Spy cost me me $850, and I thought that was totally fair. $2000 is a whole other level of expensive though, and I don't think I would be willing to pay that kind of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
One reason I can understand high-ish pricing is all of the trialing they do with their dogs. My one BC last weekend, to get his RN and CGN cost me $140 alone, NOT including the price of gas and the cost of taking classes and those associated fees. And that was for one title + the CGN. I think of all the titles some of their dogs have in varying sports and can imagine the cost of getting those accomplishments and the amount of money and time spent on training them for competition.
This is where I don't fully grasp the big price difference between sport and working bred pups.

Many working breeders still do sheepdog trials, and that takes gas, hotels, entry fees, membership fees, etc like a sport trial would. Not to mention, a working breeder probably owns a farm, which requires money to grow on trees. lol

*shrug* I just don't understand that argument for the price difference, coming from a person on the working perspective, paying $60 PER lesson to work sheep.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
This is where I don't fully grasp the big price difference between sport and working bred pups.

Many working breeders still do sheepdog trials, and that takes gas, hotels, entry fees, membership fees, etc like a sport trial would. Not to mention, a working breeder probably owns a farm, which requires money to grow on trees. lol

*shrug* I just don't understand that argument for the price difference, coming from a person on the working perspective, paying $60 PER lesson to work sheep.
Could health testing factor in? I don't know how much it costs to get the tests done but I do know typically less working breeders test than sport breeders.

Either way, I would probably be prepared to pay up to about what I payed for Spy, and based off what my breeder says ~800 for a sport dog from a good breeder is about the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I would be more than comfortable paying 1,200-2000k for my next sport dog, be it BC or mal.

The cost we've spent on Sloan preparing her to be tested as "worthy" of breeding is very high and we're not even there yet. Let alone the cost of having a litter, maintaining the litter, putting foundation on the litter, and ensuring the best possible start for the pups.

I paid a low price for my two but honestly neither had any foundations, what so ever. Quarrel had a ton and he paid over double what we paid for our dogs, in the future that foundation is worth it's weight in gold to me, especially with my desire for sport training but even as a pet his pup instilled manners are totally worth it.

I guess it's all about what your money is worth. I will say though paying a big price for a big name alone is crap but most big names are in fact big names for a reason.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.

Last edited by AdrianneIsabel; 04-17-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I can't type like a coherent human.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm All Ears

I'd be comfortable paying what I paid for Mia for another dog, but to pay more everything else would have to be pretty much perfect. Mia was not a cheap puppy though.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would like to declare a new treaty, I shall call it the LaurJustPickADamnBreederAlreadySoYouCanGetAPuppehT hatWeCanAllSqueeOverAndSeeMiaAndSummerAndPuppehPic tures treaty of 2012.

All in favor?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I would like to declare a new treaty, I shall call it the LaurJustPickADamnBreederAlreadySoYouCanGetAPuppehT hatWeCanAllSqueeOverAndSeeMiaAndSummerAndPuppehPic tures treaty of 2012.

All in favor?
Oh and you even found a split face puppy for the picture very nice lol!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13