Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM
<--------Orson

Default Adding fresh mint....

to treats or food. Anyone do this?

I don't know WHY it's never dawned on me before, LOL I grow fresh mint, I make dog food and treats.......but never the two combined! Especially since Orson is one of those sensitive stomach kind of dogs......seems to me mint might help? IDK, it helps my stomach for sure! I was recently reading that dogs (or canines) in the wild seek out and eat mint! It might help his breath and farts at least

So, anyone else feed their dog fresh mint? Anything good/bad you can tell me to be aware of?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM
swimming upstream

interesting....this might be something to try!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

When I grew mint, our dogs avoided it like the plauge. They loved the flower buds on chives, though. Ew. Onion breath much?

If you think they would eat it, you could try, though!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

Have you ever seen it as an ingredient in dog food or treats? Maybe it would be good to research and make sure it's not one of those weird things one never thinks of that happens to be toxic. But wouldn't that be great if they'd eat it? Just think how much better their breath would be. You've got my interest piqued.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 AM
<--------Orson

Well, from all the searching and reading I have done so far, I can find nothing harmful between mint and dogs. I have found a couple instances of Mint dog biscuits.......Dr. Foster & Smith have one, the ingredients say "mint flavor" so I'm not sure WTH that means! LOL

I find it weird that nobody here on Chaz has tried this or knows anything to offer! There's normally one or two in the crowd who's been there/done that! LOL
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Hmmm...I know my ex has mint growing and I've never noticed any of the 3 or 4 dogs that have been there over the years have ever shown any interest in it. They'll eat grass or rabbit poop, but never go over and investigate the mint.

I was wondering too, about parsley. That's suppose to be good for bad breath.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Original Twin

I have a box of lamb/mint treats for Saga. I haven't noticed any difference though.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

My oldest, Macie, liked nibbling on Parsely. (Maybe the others did too, but I didn't notice it as much). It didn't really make her breath smell any better, though. Lol. Mostly peppery/oniony mixed with the bad breath.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM
<--------Orson

Hilliside, when you say you don't notice any difference, what exactly are you speaking of? Does Saga have stomach issues? Sensitive stomach, frequent nausea? Does she get an acidic tummy if she goes too long between meals/snacks?

Orson has to have a meal in the morning, snack midday (just something small like cookies or dried sweet potatoes to put in his belly), and an evening meal. If not, he'll heave up nasty stomach acid.

The bad breath would be a nice fix, LOL, but I'm more concerned with his tummy. I don't know if it has anything to do with the shape he was in when we saved him (full of different kinds of parasites, barely able to walk) or if that's just Orson, but he has always had a touchy tummy. I'm hoping the mint might offer a bit of relief for him.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Sit! Good dog.

There's also a world between mint flavour and mint essential oil. You need the essential oil from the mint, and it needs to be in a decent enough dosage to have an effect on the intestine. It slows/calms peristalsis.

I did my dissertation on essential oils - mint and fennel - and their effect on peristalsis

Many, many moons ago now.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein