Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
So are you saying that just because those are a small percentage that EVERYONE should be prevented, because its saving all those other lives? That's ridiculous.
No, but saving life MUST be the primary purpose. If that inadvertently results in the death of the baby, then so be it... BUT, most often, it goes the other way around: Ending the baby's life is seen as a mean to save the mother's life. I hope I make sense.

Anyway, it's late and I must go home to my little Katie I doubt this thread still stay on track until I can log back in.. Until then, have a fun, constructive discussion everyone!

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy View Post
By reading the many abortion related threads in the past, I think most people choose to stand "in between" kinda like "I personally don't agree with abortion, and would not have one, but if you're pregnant and want to end it, go ahead, it's your choice!", as if we're afraid we'll offense...
Speaking for myself, it has nothing to do with trying to not offend, and everything to do with recognizing that what is right for me is not right for everyone.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
This. I'm pro-choice, NOT pro-abortion. There is a huge difference between being "pro-abortion", and believing that a woman's right to choose should never be taken away.
I'm also pro-choice. The baby's choice to live

Thanks~Jessie~

Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
I think most people choose to stand "in between" kinda like "I personally don't agree with abortion, and would not have one, but if you're pregnant and want to end it, go ahead, it's your choice!", as if we're afraid we'll offense...
I stand in the middle, firmly pro-choice, by *choice*, not because I don't want to offend anyone. Earlier in my life I abstained from sex so that I wouldn't have to make a choice; now that I'm at a different stage in life I am comfortable that if I found out I was pregnant I would opt to keep that child, but I am an individual, and my choices need not force the hand of others. What is good for me, may not be good for someone else and I try hard to keep that in mind!

I come at this a bit from the animal welfare side of things - in the animal welfare realm death itself is not a "harm". The way that death is handled *is* important, but the actual death is a neutral. It may sound harsh, but to me, abortion is not a true "harm" - it is a humane death and the fetus/child/collection of cells/being's loss of possibilities does not come near carrying the same weight as the mother's life/needs because those are real, not possibilities. I realize that many may not agree, but that's ok, I just felt it might be helpful to provide my perspective.

And of course, all that being said, I'm not quite sure that this changes anything about the OP for me!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Speaking for myself, it has nothing to do with trying to not offend, and everything to do with recognizing that what is right for me is not right for everyone.
Imposing one's belief/moral/way of life on someone else is not right nor recommended, but when it comes to right and wrong, there is a defined line and when being challenged/asked, one must stand up for what he/she truly belives.

What I tried to say is, for example, I think abortion is wrong. Do I go around and preach/bombarded everyone with it.. NO - but when a friend (a hypothetical friend) comes to me asking whether or not she should have an abortion... I would try my hardest to convince her not to. The decision is hers, and I realize I may not able to change her mind if she's already dead set on it, but I won't say "i think abortion is wrong, but if you think it's right for you, go ahead, I won't interfere with your choice". I can't...for she's responsible for her own action.. but oh how I wish I could.

Thanks~Jessie~

Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

I really need to be going I'll visit this thread again when I get home...

Thanks~Jessie~

Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Imposing one's belief/moral/way of life on someone else is not right nor recommended, but when it comes to right and wrong, there is a defined line and when being challenged/asked, one must stand up for what he/she truly belives.

What I tried to say is, for example, I think abortion is wrong. Do I go around and preach/bombarded everyone with it.. NO - but when a friend (a hypothetical friend) comes to me asking whether or not she should have an abortion... I would try my hardest to convince her not to. The decision is hers, and I realize I may not able to change her mind if she's already dead set on it, but I won't say "i think abortion is wrong, but if you think it's right for you, go ahead, I won't interfere with your choice". I can't...for you're responsible for your own action.. but of how I wish I could.
I have no trouble with anyone standing up for what they believe. Or telling others what they believe. Or trying to convince others to believe it too. And I sympathize with how heart wreching it is to see or know someone, especially someone you care about, is going to do something you deeply believe is wrong.

I do have trouble when the above crosses the line into harassment, or when those beliefs are being turned into legislation and not falling in line is criminalized.

(edited to fix typo)

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I have no trouble with anyone standing up for what they believe. Or telling others what they believe. Or trying to convince others to believe it too. And I sympathize with how heart wreching it is to see or know someone, especially someone you care about, is going to do something you deeply believe is wrong.

I do have trouble when the above crosses the line into harassment, or when those beliefs are being turned into legislation and not doing that isn't falling in line is criminalized.
^That. I never want to take away someone's ability to counsel a friend, offer their opinion, share their experiences if they are trying to help a friend, but to actually legislate those beliefs? No thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Kotah BEAR

I believe it is the woman's choice to do what she wants with her body. I have always said and believed that, and I always will.
I use to say I would never get an abortion. But honestly, I never know. Things happen and your mind could always change. You might say one thing today and tomorrow it could be totally different.

Here's a story:
A friend of mine from a few years back got raped at 15 by a friend of her family, she was pregnant, she planned on keeping the baby but when she went into labor at 7 months, the birth of the baby took her life and the baby's life. That was HER choice, regardless if she was 15 or not (because I know her age will be brought up into this. Its not like she willingly went and had sex). Her family & friends supported her (me being one). Though I did not agree with her choice, I supported it because she was my friend.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Kristen1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
I believe it is the woman's choice to do what she wants with her body. I have always said and believed that, and I always will.
Same here!