Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Resident fainting goat

To me, sport mixes make sense.
Back in the day, people needed/wanted dogs to herd, to guard etc.. so that's what dogs were bred for.
It only makes sense that since people have changed..what they need dogs for has changed. There is a need..the market meets that.

Many people don't NEED herding dogs anymore, they simply get herding bred dogs for herding trails.
So how is getting an agility bred dog for trails any less respectable?

As long as breeding is done responsibly (health testing etc..) and homes are available just in case for the pups that don't turn out to be sport prospects (low drive etc.).. then whatever, live and let live.
Even though I would never personally go out and get one
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

why is breeding for sport better than breeding for pets?

all byb crappy practices aside, if you health test and cgc dogs but only breed for pet market , why is that bad?

is companion ship not a good enough reason to breed? especially with the way "some" rescues are hell to get a dog from and the pound dogs are not for everyone. especially the pound around here , if it is not a pit x or a hunting x it is not at the pound.

forgive me but not everyone wants a pit , no matter how many rainbows shoot out there butts.

wow this kinda turned into a rant , but this has been running through my mind everytime a thread like this turns up.
why are just companion dogs looked down on?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
why is breeding for sport better than breeding for pets?

all byb crappy practices aside, if you health test and cgc dogs but only breed for pet market , why is that bad?

is companion ship not a good enough reason to breed? especially with the way "some" rescues are hell to get a dog from and the pound dogs are not for everyone. especially the pound around here , if it is not a pit x or a hunting x it is not at the pound.

forgive me but not everyone wants a pit , no matter how many rainbows shoot out there butts.

wow this kinda turned into a rant , but this has been running through my mind everytime a thread like this turns up.
why are just companion dogs looked down on?
Who's looking down on companion dogs?

Of course there are good breeders out there who breed dogs for the primary purpose of being super amazing housepets. Still a purpose-bred dogs for a particular market. And that's fine provided the breeder is also doing the basics like relevant health and temperament testing, being honest about what sort of dog she produces and trying to make the best matches, and standing by the pups for their lifetimes.

The point is that not everyone's idea of what sort of dog they want to spend their life with is the same. My idea of The Perfect Dog For Me does not invalidate someone else's, nor vice versa.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 04-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
A Sportmix is a buscuit, which comes in many different colors and "flavors", all of which are actually chicken

Sorry, couldn't resist, lol, we (regrettably) sell these where I work.
Mini-rant: How can you call it a cheese buscuit when there is literally NO cheese ingredients, fake or otherwise?!
Omg...we sell these too... have you noticed the lamb meal and rice is chicken based as well?! And the same color? It irritates me to no end when I put them away haha.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Not looking down on companion dogs at all here! If a dog is bred for a purpose (yes companionship is a purpose), they fill that purpose and are bred responsibly (health tested, etc) I have no problem with it!

There are responsibly bred doodles out there that are bred just to be pets. That's awesome, I say they need to spread the word on BYB's and get more doodle breeders to follow in their paths.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Omg...we sell these too... have you noticed the lamb meal and rice is chicken based as well?! And the same color? It irritates me to no end when I put them away haha.
LOL! I find the Lamb ones to look greyier (awesome word, right?) than the others, but I'm sure I ring people out wrong all the time with that one when they buy from the bulk bins.

They are ALL chicken based.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Who's looking down on companion dogs?

Of course there are good breeders out there who breed dogs for the primary purpose of being super amazing housepet. Still a purpose-bred dog for a particular market. And's that fine provided the breeder is also doing the basics like relevant health and temperament testing, being honest about what sort of dog she produces and trying to make the best matches, and standing by the pups for their lifetimes.

The point is that not everyone's idea of what sort of dog they want to spend their life with is the same. My idea of The Perfect Dog For Me does not invalidate someone else's, nor vice versa.
^ this.

Also, I think most quality breeders (in working, sport, show and other specializations) end up with quite a few puppies in the litter that make amazing pets so many people do wonder why it's necessary to have breeders breeding solely for that purpose. (although I will agree, the market for these pet pups is there)

Personally, as long as it's done responsibly (health testing, pedigrees, temperament testing, etc..) and there is a market/available good homes for the pups..I see no issue.

it does kind of concern me that there is no set guideline to what makes a breeding worthy companion dog.. the definition isn't set in stone (as drive standards, show standards etc.. are for working/sport/whatever.. dogs) so I do worry how breeders make the decisions as to which dog to breed and how do they know what "good companion" means to their clients but that once again, fits into the being a good breeder regardless of market, thing. and not being affected by kennel blindness, which is a problem regardless as to what KIND of breeder.

I, personally, prefer breeders that do more. To me, being a generally good companion to the breeder is a GIVEN for any dog they are living with lol and I NEED to see PROOF of that in terms of being a therapy dog, obedience trails, rally etc.. then just taking a breeders word for it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
If someone was breeding two of the same breed (we'll just say labs) together with high drive to create dogs to be better at performance sports, no one would have an issue. I don't see why breeding together two different breeds together to create a performance dog, is any much different? If they have people that want them, why the hell not? Same goes for designer dogs.
Because all they're creating is mutts...which shelters are full of.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Any sport mix breeder worth their salt is going to be working with performance-tested dogs of known ancestry who has been health-tested for relevant genetic issues. They, like any breeder worth anything, know what they are producing and what sort of home is likely to be a good match. And they should be providing support and a safe place to land for the lifetime of that pup.

Not exactly the chi-tzu-poo breeder around the block breeding Teh Adoooooorablez she happened to get her hands on and selling them to whoever shows up with a check. Or for that matter, the bottomfeeder sort of purebred breeders who do the same.
So, you're trying to tell me that these "breeders" will only place these dogs with an owner that does sports? What a load of crap...there are poor, unsuspecting families out there that these "breeders" are selling pups to that end up with a crazy, high energy, driven dog that they can't handle.
The dog then ends up in a shelter.

It's ridiculous to try to compare these sport mix breeders with reputable pure breed breeders.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
If someone was breeding two of the same breed (we'll just say labs) together with high drive to create dogs to be better at performance sports, no one would have an issue. I don't see why breeding together two different breeds together to create a performance dog, is any much different? If they have people that want them, why the hell not? Same goes for designer dogs.
Becuase they're breeding mutts and charging an arm and a leg for them.