Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Lab Love

Duke loves everyone. He's up and down where he can be a bit of a snob and some days he just wants to be pet by eevvveryone. He's generally pretty loyal, but would leave me for Boomers' owner for sure. He loves that guy. Lucky for him we 'share' the dogs so he gets to be his dog for the day, then mine for the evening and weekends. lol

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Top Dog

Elsie loves her 'family,' and would prefer it if all strangers would just leave the planet. She says hi to people because I tell her, and she's fine in crowds, but she has no interest in meeting new people.

She prefers me over everyone else, but has no problems being left with anyone she knows.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 AM
BusterLove

Buster has always been mine. He has plenty of time for the family and will solicite free love from any visitors once he's decided they're okay but I've always been his favourite.

Quinn has some time for the rest of my family, no time for strangers and I'm her favourite human. I think thats only because I'm the one that feeds, works and trains her. My brother and I are the only ones with a lot of patience for her and we reap the benifits. She's not really a lovey dog most of the time but when she does decide to be affectionate she makes you feel pretty special.
She will also only really listen to me 90% of the time. I want her to listen to my family aswell but she flips them off a lot.

I adore one person dogs. It would drive me nuts having a dog with more friends than me.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I much prefer one person dogs. Wanting to socialize is fine, but it annoys me if wanting to meet any and all people is a major distraction, ie, "OMG I GOTTA MEET THESE PEOPLES SO BAD I JUST LOST MY BRAINZ! ZOMG!" I can't stand that. One reason I could never have a typical lab or golden. They're too friendly, lol.
Honestly, Millie's apathy to strangers is ideal to me.
I want Fable to like my mom and vise versa (and so far, that's a success), but I don't want Fable to get too attached. I want to stay her person.
Having said that, though, I don't want Fable to a complete spaz who can't function without me.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Are you dead yet?

All of my border collies, when young, would've left me to go say hello to someone else. If they settled down in the house when we had guests, they would settle down by the new person. New people, new situations, new smells, new ANYTHING was sooo much better than old anything. In retrospect, I appreciate their curiosity and the fact that they weren't born with a complete aversion to everything new.

That said, I'm super glad that they are now mature and don't try to establish relationships with everyone around them. Eve is still friendly and willing to greet most people if I tell her she can, but since she was about a year old she's been absolutely my dog, and I prefer it that way.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh gosh I think my friends' pit bulls would just wander off with any human who gave them a good butt scritch.

My dog is a one-family dog until there's food involved. If someone offers her a tasty treat she's pretty much theirs for life. I could walk away and she wouldn't notice me because her head is so filled with "omg food!" It's like we never feed the poor starving creature or something.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

It doesn't matter much to me whether it's a one person dog or the dog loves everyone. I've had both types. The Chihuahuas, I'd say are more "my" dogs, but Chulita especially really digs visitors and she'll choose their laps over mine....I think just for the novelty of it all. Jose` loves the family when they come to visit, but he's really quite attached to me...a mama's boy. Even though they and past dogs loved everybody, I always felt like they were still more into me and I never had to drag them away from anyone. Toker, my son's dog is part Pit bull and she is ecstatic over other people, but still....more glued to my son or me if there's a choice between us or other people.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Top Dog

Peewee is the same way. He loves meeting people. Ivan is different. He is definatly my dog, ambivalent to new people, he might go and check them out, but never stays with them or forgets about me. Now his breeders, my dad and one of my friends he will leave me so fast all I see is dust. He no longer hears or sees me. The dork.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
But overall I definitely prefer a "really into owner" and "aloof with strangers" type dog.
This.

Chloe loves people and kids, but she definitely looks to me for everything, even when people are around. If kids are annoying her, she runs straight to me if they set her down, and I know she's had enough lol.

Violet on the other hand SHOULD be aloof with strangers, but is not at all. She loves ALL people and wants to jump up on them, get up in their lap, you name it. It's ridiculous and she won't listen to me AT ALL with other people around (unless I have food ). However, even though she acts like she doesn't have a preference, I think if we gave her to someone else to live with for a bit, she'd be glad to see us when she came back. When we had to leave her at the vet, when we came back, she could hardly walk, but she still RAN straight to us when she saw us. It was sweet.

Also, I'll add that she prefers me inside the family. If she's in trouble or even if she hurts herself somehow she runs straight to me for comfort even though she's my dad's dog, lol! I like it though, it's adorable.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Squishy face

I prefer one-person dogs too. That's why I want a Fila one day. Daisy is a family dog, and she is attached to the family, but that attachment is really only apparent when she would be taken out in public somewhere, i.e. out of her comfort zone. Then she would become very clingy and nervous. Benji was my mom's dog. He liked us, but he LOVED her. Rocky is my mom's dog. If I go over there to watch the dogs while my parents are away, Rocky will temporarily attach himself to me and follow me everywhere. When my mom is home, she is all he sees. If we want to catch him to take him for a walk, my mom has to catch him, etc.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!