Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

Default Now I understand...

..why people prefer one person dogs. Seriously. It is part of the pit bull trait to love everyone, which is great most of the time, BUT sometimes it is really annoying. For example, I go to the park with a friend of mine and Kai. Kai loooves this dude. When he is around I'm not even there anymore. He ignores my commands and listen to all of his. Then when we have to leave I have to drag his behind away because he doesn't want to leave my friend. I swear, he would probably happily go with him home if I let him! Where is the loyalty!!

I think after this I'm going one-person dog.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer is not a one person dog at all. She'd leave me in a heartbeat, especially for a kid...

Mia is absolutely, unequivocally mine. She knows it, I know it. She likes my family and select other people but most she just doesn't pay attention to. I love it.

One REALLY annoying thing about having a small dog that is an attention ***** is that in rally class Summer has crawled through tiny gaps in the ring to leave me for someone else. lol I never have to worry about that with Mia.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Felurian

Funny, Tallulah is definitely MINE. The other two are as well (especially Kharma, of course). They will take attention from someone else (if Her Highness is in the mood), but they let it be known that they are going to "dance with who brung 'em," lol.

Thinking about it, I don't really think I've ever had a dog that wasn't "mine?" Probably has something to do with the breeds/mixes I'm drawn to.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-11-2012, 10:01 PM
orange iguanas.

Hmm I think they both have their drawbacks Juno is 100% attached to ME, makes me feel bad when I have to leave her with other people. She gets a little sad about it. But sometimes it is nice that my dog LOVES ME SO MUCH hahahahah.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

There's pros and cons to both, for sure. I DO LOVE the fact that Jackson is all about me... but it makes it very difficult when it comes to leaving him, etc, because he's so attached. I could NEVER just drop him off at daycare or leave him a boarding place and expect him to be okay. I think he really would be miserable and just sad the whole time. My grandma's Lab would just go with anyone and happily go off to boarding or whatever, and Jackson is just not that type of dog.

But overall I definitely prefer a "really into owner" and "aloof with strangers" type dog.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Hahaha I always said tucker, my wheaten, would happily go home with anyone. I hated it and love that my dogs are much more into me.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Twin 2

I like where Traveler is. He looooooves people and kids but I win out over anyone else (unless it's a small dog or a kid he's really taken with). It's the perfect combination for me because he loves seeing people and getting pets and being a wiggle butt but can be called away easily, wants to stay with me and can focus fine around people.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm All Ears

I really sometimes think if I asked Summer, she would chose my little sister over me.

She does know she's mine though in that if I leave a scene, she comes with me. She won't just stay with anyone (It's always with a look that says something along the lines of 'But Mom, I was just getting started!'). However when I'm in a room with a bunch of other people (or something like that) Summer is busy meeting everyone and Mia is sticking with me. I think for Summer it's more of a 'I already know this person, she's boring. Now THIS person could be my long lost best friend!' She's kind of like your stereotypical lab in a papillon body. 'Everybody loves me! Everyone wants to pet and adore me!'

It drives me absolutely insane most the time. Occasionally though I appreciate it. Summer has a way of really connecting with people fast, it's what made her such a good therapy dog. There have been many times we've just been on a walk or something and Summer will end up really brightening someone's day. For that I appreciate how outgoing she is. Otherwise, drives me batty.

Beau is a happy medium. He likes most people but is not the attention ***** that Summer is. He's also not antisocial like Mia. Summer and Mia are polar opposites.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Big Dog

My ex-foster, Elwood, is really attached to me, and my family. He's not a one-person dog by any means, but normally he's pretty cautious about strangers. But... as soon as Dekka comes over he's happy to abandon us all to see her! Drives me nuts - well in a good way, but still No idea why he loves her so much. *shakes head* Funny dog.

Zorro, on the other hand, has serious attachment issues with me. He's happy enough with others, but pines after me. Silly old boy.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Strangely I prefer ambivalent dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.