Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Top Dog

I was absolutely anal about cleanliness and grooming for years. I'm not anymore for a few reasons. The biggest one is that I don't have access to free grooming anymore! I can't just bring my dog to work, bathe, dry, and trim throughout the day. Now I either have to put them in the bathtub at home on a hot day or heat dry them completely then clean the bathroom! Sooooo not worth it!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Are you dead yet?

I'm a food nazi, and as of late my dog is a sausage shaped atrocity. She and I are getting back into shape when I get home.

I used to be a foot nazi. Actually, just more of a grooming fiend. No joke, I would literally go nuts if feet and nails were not trimmed, coats were not clean and tangle-free, and there was no staining of any sort on any white parts.

Now that I have no high-velocity dryer, no dog bathtub, no grooming shears and no dremel? I'm decidedly less anal about grooming my own dog. If she's clean, doesn't stink and her feet have been trimmed in the past month, I'm not going to flip out.

Being a service dog handler has changed my "things" quite dramatically. My real "thing" with my particular dog is her behavior, and the behavior of myself and other people around her. I strive to keep her in a certain state of mind - calm, focused, aware of her surroundings but detached enough to not get riled up by them. My dog is a border collie and is high strung and rather prone to anxiety by nature, so at times it can be quite a challenge. I get frustrated with people who deliberately, after being warned not to, screw with this. I can't control environmental things that might bother my dog, like construction or thunder, but I can control your **** hand reaching for her, or your **** face making kissy noises.

Oh, I have another thing. I hate hate hate off leash dogs that aren't trained to RECALL or DOWN immediately. Too many times I have to deal with the stress my dog feels when an offlead dog decides the recall can wait the 30 seconds it'll take to molest my dog and leave her wound up tighter than a tick.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM
<--------Orson

It's really hard to decide because I feel I have 2 main 'things' LOL In order of obsession though:

1. Food. I love cooking, baking, reading about healthy things for him to eat. I love natural solutions and preventatives and learning how to use them for healing, cleaning, or incorporating them into his daily diet!

2. Outdoor kennel. This is not only where Orson stays when he's unattended outside, it's MOSTLY the potty area. It's right out my back door as well. So yes, I am obsessed with keeping it poop free, and also use vinegar and/or bleach water (it has concrete pavers as flooring) to keep it smell free!

Also, I guess to the average John Q, I am considered anal about nails, ears, and general dog cleanliness and have been told as much, LOL Honestly though, to dog savvy folks such as yourself, I feel you'd consider me lacking. Orson's nails get dremmeled about every 7-10 days, his ears get cleaned about 2 x a month, and he gets a bath about every 2 months or so?? (his odor -or lack thereof- dictates this....he isn't a smelly dog at all)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Puppy Dog

My "things"?

Well, in regards to dogs, I'm nutty about interacting on forums and reading about training. I read training books about issues my dog doesn't even have, like aggression and the like. I'm also a bit nutty about keeping track of the books I've read, which makes me look like an obsessive ninny.

I'm also a total agility nut. I can't watch enough videos, read enough about training, or go to enough classes. If I had more money, I'd go practically every night of the week.

Add to that an obsession with looking at Petfinder.com and border collie rescues to find the perfect dog that I CANNOT HAVE RIGHT NOW. Yeah...issues.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Agility freak!

I'm big on keeping my dogs in shape, agility (of course) and more specifically, weave training in agility. I'm just a little crazy about it. Nice weaves (and it's starting to become contacts, too) are the first thing I notice in a run. Don't care how fast the dog is, I'll notice nice weaves. And I'm really insanely proud of Psyche's weaves.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh gosh! In shape! Yes. I'm obsessed with my dog's weight and keeping it down and keeping her properly conditioned.

Wish I could say the same thing about myself. lol
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Diet and leashing. I am petrified of loosing a dog because it wasn't on leash.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

I can't come up with anything very specific. My thing is everything 'dogs.' I like them to be clean, fit and healthy, moderately trained, well behaved, playful...love playing with them, watching their behavior, their expressions. I get a big charge out of their personalities...enjoy walking with them and seeing their joy at exploring things. I love just having them as my pals, snuggling with them at night time on the couch. I don't know if I have one single main thing that's my thing.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
This is a source of frustration for me, too. Partly because I wholeheartedly agree (I was clueless once, too, and jabs at me would have never helped), and partly because I'm so passionate about it I get all twisted up and I get angry when people are hurting their dogs in any way, whether intentionally or not. Taking a step back and realizing I'm not helping the dog by scolding the owner is hard for me sometimes. *le sigh*
I deal with this all the time on forums and in my place of work. There are times to be stern and blunt and have an edge of scolding but mostly you'll save and help more dogs by mentoring or befriending their owners.

It drives me insane the number of purely positive snobs out there that express their opinions through cruelty. Good for you, you do right by your dogs and you don't approve of how other dogs are treated but if you follow the training methods you've so adamantly accepted you'd remember that humans are animals too and cruelty won't get you much more than a shut down cold shoulder.

PS, you guys would lose it at my work with all of my fat clients. LOL Sometimes I just pick my battles but I recently had to lay down the law when I had three of my bootcamp clients request I work their obese dogs in agility. Sorry, I don't want to break your poor dogs people.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
Dogs must be CLEAN! Despite my deep affection for canines, if a dog leaves a filmy residue on my hands when I touch it, I will avoid it like the plague. Even worse is the sour golden retriever stink I encounter so much at work. Honestly, I have to wonder if people actually touch their dogs if they aren't bothered by that stink and filth.
This x1 million. I hate the doggy smell, I hate filmy hands. I will absolutely not touch a dog I can smell across the room.