What's your "thing?"

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- House Manners.
People think I am some kind of dictator with all the rules but really, I wouldn't be able to deal with having a dog that doesn't behave in the house
~ no scratching/licking yourself anywhere but your crate
~ sitting in your designated spot when guests arrive
~ waiting for dinner/waiting to cross thresholds
~ no barking for no reason
~ no begging at the table
~ no pulling on lead
~ getting on/off furniture when asked, waiting for permission to jump on
~ no mouthing. My clothes/hands do not belong in your mouth EVER EVER EVER
~ keep the licking to a minimum.

- Grooming
I can't deal with "dog smell" ..I am touching/petting them nearly constantly so not only do they not have to smell bad, they have to smell like FLOWERS! lol
Oh and brushing, they have to be soft and knot free

- Tricks :)
I really enjoy teaching tricks, I also really like the clicker

- Walks
being from the city, walks are a religious experience lol they are my zen time and fun time and time for being at the park and play. I love being a dog owner all the time, but walks are really a special time for me when I REALLY REALLY appreciate it
It's not that odd for the dogs at home to get walked 6 times a day lol

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Grooming. They must look clean, they must feel clean, they must smell clean, and they hopefully must look like their coat is in good condition (no clumps of dead hair/mats). I'm less anal about nails, but I like to keep them trimmed.

I also will not tolerate my dogs to be chunky. They don't need to be lean, but I will not let them become overweight.

I'm religious about keeping them on leash as well, simply because that's what I'm used to (no fenced yard) and Chloe doesn't have a very good recall.

SpringerLover

I did all four of Buzz's feet today (which involved washing them, drying them, then trimming with a scissors) as well as his ears (washing, drying, trimming). I couldn't give him a whole bath because he has sutures but this worked out ok!

Bailey got her two wookie feet trimmed and a whole bath. Ears were trimmed and all that's left is rear feet. They just need a touch up as I did them about 2 weeks ago.

Nails tonight... I'm so happy they've got neat feet again!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm kind of weird about dental health too. Obviously this is a newer thing because Lucy's teeth were allowed to get out of hand. But I care now!! Juno has like, the faintest spot of tartar on one of her top molars and I am like IT MUST BE ELIMINATED!!! We do tooth brushing almost every night. And they get weekly dental chews (Zukes Z-Bones for Juno, Bright Bites for Lucy). I just don't like stinky dog breath, I like how pretty clean, white teeth look, and obviously a dirty mouth isn't good for their overall health.

Teal

...ice road...
My thing is training. I tend to be overbearing with information to other people.. they'll ask a minor question, and I go all pro trainer on them and talk way too much lol

I guess my other thing would be weight/fitness. My dogs are not allowed to be fat and lazy! (not that they themselves would allow it anyways lol)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
My big "thing" is diet, of course, haha. My day job is all about it, and I enjoy delving into the hows and whys of every ingredient in dog foods. And I still feel like I know next to nothing! I'm not so much a diet snob as I'm a pet nutrition nerd - I want to know why certain ingredients do this or that.

Dogs being in shape is my second. Correlated to the diet thing, I think. I don't need to see crazy-ass muscles in a dog, but seeing blatantly overweight dogs makes me very sad.

My third is quickly becoming nails. :D I didn't mind before when Finn's were a bit long (trimmed, but clicky on hard surfaces). Now I'm moving his quicks back slowly so that he can have more tidy nails. I like tidy nails. I'm sick of seeing really long nails. Ugh.

I am fanatical about grooming them. I love Radar but my next little terrier will likely be a cairn, small white super active dogs get soooo dirty so fast! It drives me nuts, I brush him everyday and I have to fight the urge to bath him constantly. I miss my prissy collie who would shudder at the thought of jumping in a mud puddle, and the lovely wash and wear aussie coat, sigh:eek: On the plus side both Desoto and Radar are champs at behaving well for grooming thanks to living with me :rofl1: They both love having their ears cleaned and Radar will actually fall asleep when I groom him!

I also really enjoy learning about food. Desoto is really picky so he has to stay on the one food he will condescend to eat. Radar however I get to try new things with and I love it. I am slowly learning about raw and want to 'test it out' on the kitties at some point.

JacksonsMom

I'm kind of weird about dental health too. Obviously this is a newer thing because Lucy's teeth were allowed to get out of hand. But I care now!! Juno has like, the faintest spot of tartar on one of her top molars and I am like IT MUST BE ELIMINATED!!! We do tooth brushing almost every night. And they get weekly dental chews (Zukes Z-Bones for Juno, Bright Bites for Lucy). I just don't like stinky dog breath, I like how pretty clean, white teeth look, and obviously a dirty mouth isn't good for their overall health.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about my new dental thing too! Ever since Jackson got his professional dental, I've been sooo anal about his teeth. They weren't REALLY bad before but I just really want to plan on keeping them pearly white. And I notice if I skip a few days that I start to see a tiny tiny teeny bit of plaque forming, so then I immediately put on some Petzlife and brush again.

Paige

Let it be
Mostly snuggles.
Best response in the enitre thread. I don't know if I'm overly anal or crazy about anything really other than being kind to my dog. I love loving on him all the time. I also love both quality and quanity time with him so I suppose there is that. I just really am pretty easy going about everything to do with him. I know a lot about dogs but really other than gentle training and good food in our cuboard you'd probably not pick up on me being a total dog nerd. His hair gets a bit out of hand, he's a tad chubby and his nails are not super short.

Members online

No members online now.