Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Oh, and I still think about a neighbor's horribly obese dog I haven't seen for like 2 years. Her name was Pepper, she was a medium sized mix of ACD/Aussie. She was a little taller than Millie, probably 20," and was so fat her back had flattened to be like a coffee table. She probably should have been 40- 50 lbs. She was 85! The owners told me that when she got back from a vet visit. (But apparently he -the vet- didn't seem concerned?) My mom, who thinks I practically starve Millie, even took pity on Pepper. Every time I saw her I just wanted to cry.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

The weight thing drives me nuts especially because Dachshunds are my breed of choice and so frequently do I see incredibly fat Dachshunds. And every one thinks it's funny they're "fat little sausages." No thanks. My Dachshund is 11 lbs and a muscle man.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Top Dog

I've been starting to get into conditioning Elsie. She's got gorgeous chunky thigh muscles... that no one can see.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I've been starting to get into conditioning Elsie. She's got gorgeous chunky thigh muscles... that no one can see.
Spray her with a hose and try to get a pic.

Kidding, but seriously, Millie's coat is so deceiving. It's short, so it doesn't look like it's hiding anything, but her fur is so thick it adds a good 5 lbs. to her appearance. The only accurate waist pics I can get are when she's wet, lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Top Dog

She swims a lot; the next time she gets out of the pool I'll try to get a picture.

If she doesn't get submerged, though, she ends up looking like a skinny coyote, because she just wets down her legs, lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 AM
and Fozzie B!

Clickers. I'm addicted to shaping & modifying behaviors. My dogs get soooo excited when they see the clicker! ( : Poor dogs. Always doing weird things in hopes that I try to shape it into something. There's just so much to do with clickers, so many deep, intriguing ways that they can be used to humanely brainwash!!!

I wish I had friends who love clickers this much. I always try to explain them to friends & clients... and they just DON'T get it. I guess it's a lot to grasp for some people? "Wait so the click replaces treats?" No. "So all dogs naturally love the sound of the click?" No...

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
Even worse is the sour golden retriever stink I encounter so much at work. Honestly, I have to wonder if people actually touch their dogs if they aren't bothered by that stink and filth.
LMAO! Sour Golden Retriever stink is such a great term... I totally know that funk D: I hate it when I pet a dog and afterwards my hand is greasy and reeks. It makes me question their owner's personal hygiene, if they're ok with touching THAT all the time.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
Dogs must be CLEAN! Despite my deep affection for canines, if a dog leaves a filmy residue on my hands when I touch it, I will avoid it like the plague. Even worse is the sour golden retriever stink I encounter so much at work. Honestly, I have to wonder if people actually touch their dogs if they aren't bothered by that stink and filth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My thing is communication with people. It's my biggest pet peeve, angst, whatever. I find myself frustrated by people who think they can help dogs by belittling or being cruel in any manner to the dogs owners.
Both of these! Plus the fitness things and training in general...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
It makes me question their owner's personal hygiene, if they're ok with touching THAT all the time.
Oh this too... So true If I get grease on my hand it totally grosses me out and makes me wonder what their house might be like too. I understand that some of the retrievers get smelly easy but c'mon, I owned one for 8 years and he never got that bad before a bath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My thing is communication with people. It's my biggest pet peeve, angst, whatever. I find myself frustrated by people who think they can help dogs by belittling or being cruel in any manner to the dogs owners.
This is a source of frustration for me, too. Partly because I wholeheartedly agree (I was clueless once, too, and jabs at me would have never helped), and partly because I'm so passionate about it I get all twisted up and I get angry when people are hurting their dogs in any way, whether intentionally or not. Taking a step back and realizing I'm not helping the dog by scolding the owner is hard for me sometimes. *le sigh*