Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Default What's your "thing?"

I enjoy learning about food, I care about my pets' diets, but I'm not overly concerned in any way.

I enjoy training and I understand it, and am able to apply it, but I don't have that super competitive edge.

I'm concerned about disease prevention and other veterinary stuff. In fact I adore learning about it and going to conferences.

However... I am anal about car safety.
My dogs ride in Roadie harnesses or in a secured crate 98.5% of the time or more. It drives me absolutely crazy if my dogs are not secured for whatever reason!

What's your "thing?"
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM
such sights to show you

Heat/humidity. For some reason I am unnaturally paranoid about the dogs overheating. I will skip exercise if I have even the slightest doubt and have been known to turn on the AC specifically for the dogs.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Dog nails. I'm anal about keeping my dogs' nails as short as possible. When Keegan was a puppy I was dremmeling his nails at least twice a week, when I realized that maybe they were getting TOO short. So I had to let them grow out just a little bit.

At work we're supposed to dremmel nails once a week, but I'm the only trainer who ever actually does that. It drives me crazy that nobody else seems to think it's as important as I do.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Blue_Dog

Hmm, I guess socialization was my big thing for Sam. I was terrified that he would turn out dog aggressive like my neighbour's golden, or worse human aggressive. Especially because he was so shy of women and dogs when we first got him. Now he loves everyone and isn't obnoxious about it. I know a lot of people here like a more reserved dog, but I'd take a happy-go-lucky dog over dealing with DA or worse any day.

Other than that it depends on what I'm doing. Right now I want to change Sam's diet so I'm all about learning about dog's diets. Yet last summer dominance theory in dogs (or rather the failings of such a theory) was mostly what I was reading about. Oh and LLW is my 'thing' right now too. XD

Last edited by Blue_Dog; 04-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Sports. I'm a perfectionist about it. Not in a way that causes me to blame the dog or get mad if it makes a mistake, and not in a way that's unsporting - I know when somebody's done better than I have and I have no problem with being honestly beat.

It's just that I'm very, VERY serious about getting things precise and clean. Probably why I like traditional OB so much. Heh.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

I guess I'm also kinda nutty about "clean" handling and training for that. I flinch everytime someone "cheats" in the ring by using their body to "guide" the dog rather than training the behavior to better fluency!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I guess I'm also kinda nutty about "clean" handling and training for that. I flinch everytime someone "cheats" in the ring by using their body to "guide" the dog rather than training the behavior to better fluency!
LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Reading about dogs. Scientific articles/studies in particular, but really, anything. Blogs, books, whatever.

It's funny you say that, SpringerLover--I'm trying really hard to stop communicating with Elsie so much while we're heeling. It's so hard, because she watches me so hard. If I tense my shoulder slightly she gets closer, if my heel drags slightly, she slows down, if my face gets 'hard' she shapes up. We're working on it.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm kind of into diet. There's only so much I can actually do about it (I don't pay for the food) but it kind of bugs me that my dad insists on giving the dogs Beggin Strips, and bugs me that they aren't eating the absolute BEST diet - but I do what I can. I care about the treats I buy. I pay attention to how their diet is affecting them... Juno's coat kind of looks like crap since being put on Fromm, so I intend on changing that as soon as I run out.

So yeah. That's kinda my thing.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Reading about dogs. Scientific articles/studies in particular, but really, anything. Blogs, books, whatever.

It's funny you say that, SpringerLover--I'm trying really hard to stop communicating with Elsie so much while we're heeling. It's so hard, because she watches me so hard. If I tense my shoulder slightly she gets closer, if my heel drags slightly, she slows down, if my face gets 'hard' she shapes up. We're working on it.
I've got some pretty silly video that shows me "guiding" my dog in trials a couple years ago. I've since worked incredibly hard to clean up my handling and training... haha!