Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Smile Anybody doing any big landscaping projects this year?

My back yard of my new house is small and very plain. There's only sod the builder put down and a thin trim around the perimeter of bark. And a 6' wooded fence. Very boring.

I just got a bid on some professional landscaping. Well, only an approximate bid. He's doing some more figuring and will get back to me. It's going to be expensive. But I really can't do this myself...it's too much work. I am debating whether or not to put in a water feature. I'm going to enlarge the patio and have a fire pit. Then there will be some more space for gardens, one area with a short, rock wall and I'll have a few trees and lots of perennials. I love the English cottage garden look. But there will still be grass too for the dogs.

The front will have a little sprucing up, but not a lot done there. I'm getting rid of the beauty bark and putting that nifty, dark mulch that looks like rich dirt, but it's going over the top soil. It looks so much better and plants that don't like acid do fine in that. It's hard to grow a lot of annuals or vegetables with beauty bark. I didn't even know about this cool looking mulch until the guy showed me. He has a nice portfolio and good reviews. So, I'm really excited. I may not get everything the way I want it right away because it's so costly, but at least get a start. I'll get another bid or two and go from there.

So, anyone else have any plans for some big changes in your yards?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Just a terraced retaining wall with some planting areas. We have a sloped side yard and it's a pain to keep the area up against the house mowed and it's honestly unusable. A nice raised garden bed there will do the trick, we think. We'll cut in a retaining wall at the bottom and do two more as we go up the hill with one along the edge to tie it all together. Each "flat" area will be a flower bed, then.

It's designed in my head, now just to really put it all down and figure out the logistics.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

That sounds nice Eddie. Yes, my yard slopes a little too, but not that much. Even the little bit that it does makes it harder to mow. So, your project should turn out really nicely and it will be nice to be able to use that space. Is it sunny there? You could stick in some veggies in and among the flowers. That's what I'm going to try at this house rather than a whole, designated vegetable garden and I'll use some pots too. I have to use mostly the front yard for that because the back is too shady...faces north. There are some amazing things one can do with areas that seem hopeless. You should take some before and after photos, as I will do and we can post them later. Your work sounds quite physical but it will be so nice when it's all finished.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

It's not 'big' but I'm trying to learn to garden. I'm terrible at keeping plants alive, but we've started peas and tomatoes from seed, and we're going to try squash and watermelon, too. So far my peas look super happy.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We've been working redoing our pool tiles seen here:
675U9923 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

When we bought the house they were already weak and our dogs playing in the pool have made it worse. The house was built in the 80s and the pool gets the most sun at this part, like all day, so it was just a matter of time.

We'd also like to re-paint the entire pool deck:

_MG_9980 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

From this ugly red to a nice tan that *does not* show all the dirt so badly.

Last, I'd like to re-do all the rock from this crappy, disappearing with every poop pick up, red lava rock and put in a nice river rock or something. I'm open to suggestions here.

It appears I need some non-dog photos of my yard. LOL

ETA: found one

We're also doing a lot of plants. I put in several in the front yard (and would like a dry river bed there but thats low on the list) and I put a few in the back in pots, finding a way to protect them from the dogs has been challenging at best.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Adrianne! I'm so jealous!!! That pool. The sun. The stone wall. It's wonderful. I'm surprised the dogs can ruin tile. Wow! They sure look like they're having the best time! Well, that sounds like quite the project, but you'll be so glad when it's all spruced up.

Red, It's easy to garden once you get use to it. I've gardened since I was 9 years old. My Dad put me up to it. LOL. It's fun, but a bit of work. Those veggies though, home grown can't be beat. Those peas will have a short time to do well because they don't like too much heat. So, enjoy them while you can. The tomatoes will be soooooo delicious...peppers, all kinds of stuff. Southern Cali...you couldn't pick a better place.

It would be nice to have updates on everyone's projects and post pictures later. I'd be interested in how things go for everyone.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

We've already torn out 5 trees (4 dead, one close). Will be tearing out at least 4 more plus several scraggly nasty old shrubs. Also planting a small orchard and some new shrubs to be shaped and cared for unlike the ones that came with the house. Tearing out 30' above ground pool and associated deck. Fencing the primary backyard. Possibly tearing out and replacing the front walk but that really may have to wait til next year.

ETA: Also reducing our ridiculous 40' wide flowerbeds to something more manageable (naturally they are framed with infinite rocks that need moved too...), moving the firepit, etc... Not to mention the whole veggie garden thing which is far enough from the house that I'm not counting it as landscaping...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 04-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Super-Genius

Tilling the veggie garden, getting it ready for planting.

Expanding one of the front flower beds to cut out an awkward grass cutting angle.

Getting a truck bed full of bulk mulch home in the truck. That will be used for all of the projects.

Filling holes our lovely dogs dig in the backyard.

Graveling over some paths along the East side of the back fence. Not enough sun to grow grass.

Now, all I need is some nice Saturdays! LOL
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Show Dog

Building a larger Koi Pond, adding some tree screening along the fence line by my awful neighbors.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Fishies!

It has ends now. That is where the labrador pond was. Drained it, pulled the plastic and all the muck that accumulated with the bad pump, and filled it in.

The waterfall hill went from the edge of the hoop house to the apple tree on the right. Didn't use an erosion barrier so I might rework the pile of rocks.

I have also been told to grow grass. You can see what the yard leveling, the dogs, and the giant Ponderosa did to the grass.