Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Default Does my idea have any merit?

I just need to know if this is a ridiculous idea.

I walk Abby about 4 x 1 hour walks per week, plus twice a week we might go out to nice park/beach on the long line and have a wander. I visit my friend's house once or twice a week (I alternate) and we usually have a good training sessions and she romps around with the other dogs. And we have play and training session on a daily basis.

I also walk my grandmother's whippet 3 x 1 hour a week. What I am thinking of doing is making a comfortable bag so I can carry Abby on my walks with Locke.

I don't like to walk them together, because Abby is reactive and takes all my concentration... I wouldn't find walking them together particularly enjoyable. Besides, they have different paces... Abby goes fast for herself, but it's only moderate for me and Locke makes me walk briskly. But I do know that Abby would stay still and most likely not react if being carried. And she would enjoy seeing the sights and sounds.

Now, this won't replace her walks, just supplement them. Is this a very bad idea? I'm not one of these owners who carries their small dog around all the time I swear. I just thought it'd be nice and give her another few hours a week out and about. Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Cloudcandy

Well I "supplement" Coco's walks by carrying her around/being in my bag(when I say that I mean with her head out not locked up inside a handbag) sometimes.
Mostly I think it's better then her being at home,and if she can join me why not?So the only reason she is carried/bagged and not walked is mostly because she's already walked that day and is tired or I can't walk at that pace.
I don't know much about dog behavior so someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it could help Abbey be less reactive by getting her used to the other dog,whilst still keeping physical distance.

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
and Spy.

If she enjoys it, I think it's not a bad idea at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

I think it's a fine idea. And it could definitely help with the re-activity....she's at a safer distance and is seeing other dogs and so forth in a less threatening place.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Ok, great. I'm glad you guys think it's a fair idea. I'll give it a go!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Let it be

If the dog is still getting exercise and enjoys being in the carrier why not? I'm sure the dog would love to come around more.