Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

Default Lure coursing!

This weekend I took the dogs lure coursing (AKC CAT). It was a blast! Sadly between the crappy weather and being there by myself I didn't get any pictures of them running

Logan was turned on the minute we got to the field on Friday and was barking, screaming and lunging the entire time we were waiting. I've honestly NEVER seen him like that before, it was really cool seeing him so "on"! He was a complete ass and had no manners at all and not enough focus on me to listen to *any* commands, but we both had a ton of fun. Friday Logan ran twice for two qualifying legs. He was the only collie, but not the only herding dog. There were several corgis, a couple BCs, and an aussie or two. There was also a vizsla, two doxies (ADORABLE to watch course, by the way), some JRTs, a lab and a few goldens, plus a crap ton of sight hounds of course.

Today I took both dogs. Logan ran again and got his title no problem. He even impressed some of the sighthound people with his cornering ability in the wet weather (and this icky sloppy muddy field). Gavroche ran for the first time, too. It took him a bit to get turned on, but after watching 2 or 3 dogs go before him, he also turned into a barking, screaming, lunging idiot. And it, too, was very cool to see. I've seen Gavroche turned on like this before because he has prey drive from hell, but he's also been scared of plastic bags in the past. Plastic bags are not scary when he's chasing after them at 30ish mph lol.

I will DEFINITELY keep doing this. Both dogs love it, I love, and it's fun to watch all the other dogs do it, too.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Lord Cynical

SO jealous! I want to go to a CAT so badly.... sounds like you had a great time!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

Ohh, really cool! I've looked and looked for all breed lure coursing here but unless I want to drive for hours, no such luck . You'll definitely have to get photos sometime!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

We love it here too. We have an all breed lure coursing club here in WI.

Watson's brains fall out when it is time to course too.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

It's SOOOO much fun! I'm lucky there are any here at all, but it's just once a year. At least it's only a 20 minute drive! I am considering driving to Tulsa next time they have it, though, especially if they have two runs in one day. I didn't take Gavroche for all 3 runs this weekend because I wasn't sure he'd chase it, but now I'm itching to get his title lol.

ETA: Speaking of Watson, there was one Basenji there, too! Sadly I missed seeing him run.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It's SOOOO much fun! I'm lucky there are any here at all, but it's just once a year. At least it's only a 20 minute drive! I am considering driving to Tulsa next time they have it, though, especially if they have two runs in one day. I didn't take Gavroche for all 3 runs this weekend because I wasn't sure he'd chase it, but now I'm itching to get his title lol.

ETA: Speaking of Watson, there was one Basenji there, too! Sadly I missed seeing him run.
We also have lots of Basenjis around here after all we have the Basenji Club of Southeastern Wisconsin right here. So once a year they also have a coursing match we can go to. There are also a couple of sight hound clubs that hold a meet I believe.

I love seeing dogs run...they just have so much fun doing it!

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

That's sounds like so much fun! I am so jealous, I'd love to get Art into lure coursing, I think he would have a blast!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 AM
overdogged

Had they done any coursing before you signed them up for the CAT? They're having two tests here on June 2, and Steve has never done anything like that before. I don't know if I should sign him up for one or both. $40 is a lot to find out he won't do it.

He loves his flirt pole, which makes me think he'd be all over lure coursing, but who knows.

Congrats to you guys. Sounds like SO MUCH FUN!
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Neither of them has done lure coursing before this. That's the exact same reason I only entered Gavroche once. Judging by what I know of Steve, though, I think he'd love it. Do they take day of test entries? I entered Logan twice on Friday, and then entered him on Saturday to get his title after I knew he'd run.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

I would love to do this, I'm convinced Lucy would find it amazing. But I would prefer to get the chase out of her rather than encourage it, what with my house being full of small animals.

My Photos