Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

He looks great and is gorgeous.

I know someone that ended up with an animal cruelty officer at her house after walking her dogs. The officer talked to her and said her dogs looked healthy after seeing them. Someone must have reported her as abusing her dogs by starving them. People really need to know what the proper weight of dogs are and what a malnourished/starved dog looks like.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Felurian

Sometimes it just gets to you.

I love my vet.

I pay no attention to anything he tells me about feeding.

He wishes all of his patients were in the condition mine are in.

He pays no attention to anything I say about feeding

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

He looks like a normal young Belgian to me. Actually he has more weight than many young Belgians.

I don't get many such comments about the Black Dogs because they are so hairy, it's hard to tell what their weight is. But one of my friends has a young male Black Dog and several people at the training club almost convinced her there had to be something very wrong with him because he was so skinny. They'd touch him and get all alarmed "OMG! He's so skinny! What do you feed him? How much do you feed him? Have you taken him to the vet?". He's her first Belgian too, which sort of makes it worse.

It's funny though, how different people have different perceptions about that stuff. Another friend has a young, skinny little Mal girl and at a big show a few months ago an old dog guy commented "now THAT is working size and weight!" while we were ring side. I'd say at an AKC show, you could get all sorts of comments from all sorts of people about if your dog is too skinny, fine, just right, too fat, needs more exercise, needs less exercise and more food, etc. Different breeds all have their norms and someone with show Labs would very likely find most Belgians to be too skinny. Other Belgian people, probably not so much although some will obsess over trying to get and keep weight on their dogs (probably because someone else made them feel weird about their dog's weight at some point). Just be glad you don't have a one of the super skinny sighthounds breeds or you'd probably hear that sort of thing every time you had your dog out anywhere

ETA: Just showed the picture to my husband and said someone commented that this dog was too skinny and needed to be fed more. His reply "Oh brother - that's a good looking dog there!".
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

He looks FANTASTIC!

Luckily, I haven't gotten it much. A few people have made comments but most tell me how in-shape he is. My dad is typically the one who's like "you need to feed that dog more" because he's constantly hungry and begging for food... Ummm... He likes food, he'd eat all day and be 50lbs if I let him, LOL - doesn't mean he SHOULD.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Backup looks awesome!
I've gotten a handful of comments about my dogs out in public being too skinny, yet we goto agility and I have people come up and tell me my dogs look awesome. You just need to surround yourself with the right crowd.

People are rude. I was actually told yesterday that I abuse Tsuki because she's so skeleton looking. She is oddly put together, think dachshund wearing a poodle suit mixed with a ferret, mad scientiest, and squirrel, so I can see where they get it, but people need to learn to STFU and keep it to themselves.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

I used to get it a LOT with Skye, she was ribby and hard to keep weight on when she was young. To the point the 'trainer' at Petsmart took the bowl of cookies off the register and set it down for her to eat..sigh. I get comments every now and then now. Backup looks great . I get almost distraught watching some of the dog shows on tv and seeing the tubbies...it's getting bad.

Working in a pet store, I make a point to compliment people with dogs that are in great shape! And I do usually sneak in a (polite) 'hefty' or 'You like your snacks!' with dogs on the tubby side.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Bite Club

Yeah Backup is awesome, that is all.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

If the person is an idiot and I'm in a mood, I'll respond that dogs are like people, it isn't healthy for either to be fat and ask when the last time they saw a fat athlete was? (While giving the person judgy eyes, lolz, since most of these owners are also horribly overweight.)

But if the person is simply genuinely ignorant and nice I'll explain it in a kinder way.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Twin 2.0

Backup looks exactly how he should look, because it takes a fit dog to be the perfect Psychotic Lemur.

Sawyer is at a pretty decent weight, could use some more definition, but it's impossible to tell under his coat anyway. He looks a lot heavier than he is because of his floof.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:09 PM
~Lisa~

I think he looks great. .

People seem to think a fat dog is a healthy dog.

Having a fit beagle. I get comments ALL the time. Thats not a real beagle, he is to skinny. which I just say, no he is in shape, not fat like 98% of beagles you see daily.
9this picture is older, and he is more defined now. But you get the idea)
At the dog park a few weeks ago. I heard a man yelling.
"whos beagle is that?" pointing at Solo. I said he was mine. He too had his beagle there. He was so delighted to see another beagle, in good shape. his to was a awesome looking dog, great shape. we talked for a long while, well our 2 played (whats with the same breed always ending up playing with each other lol. As soon as solo sees another beagle he just wants to play with them lol)

Blaze is to fluffy to see how skinny and built he really is. But after he gets out of the water from swimming, all his fluff sinks in and you can tell how well built he is under all the fluff. So I hardly ever get comments on his weight.