Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus The Moose View Post
oh, now I'm moderated ?
We've been running into technical glitches lately, and from the appearance of how your post was moderated, it seems it may have gotten tangled in a batch of spam moderation. I am checking into it and we'll straighten it out ASAP. Sorry!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
We've been running into technical glitches lately, and from the appearance of how your post was moderated, it seems it may have gotten tangled in a batch of spam moderation. I am checking into it and we'll straighten it out ASAP. Sorry!

oops! , I went to delete that as soon as I posted it but got sidetracked. I'm glad I had gone with the PG version

I had made a long reply to address several things and questions people brought up. Well, the good thing is I know the people, while not the most
upstanding responsible sort, are not training their pooches to be mean . There's a 5-year old girl there, and a baby , and they sure don't seem like the kind of mean people that make killer pits , merely what appears to be the norm here in 'Hooterville', which is hands-off dog owning. Country dogs,
that don't get walked or trained to do cute tricks . I'm sure I turned a few heads when we moved , being somewhat scruffy and more or less fitting in out here, but walking two little longcoat chis down the road . So far it's only me that walks their dogs; all the others are yard dogs or 'farm' dogs. Our guys are little city slickers in their cute sweaters and while they actually look pretty tough in some of their winter gear ,they're not exactly intimidating . "Those are mean streets for a wiener dog in a cardigan "

(Norm McDonald )

Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Felurian

If they are still young . . . make them your best buddies That will pay dividends later.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Active Pup

I'm going with PLAN A : Prime Directive : stay away from their yard . There's a whole wild area out back to walk them on , and it's not like they never get dirty , but yeah, a bag of treats instead of a gun is also on the list .

The Big Backyard
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Felurian

Mine would never come out of that backyard, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Mine would never come out of that backyard, lol.
The little guys are too tiny for much of the bosque right along the river (they have trouble in the ankle-high grass from the back door out to the
fence) but there are dirt roads that skirt the ditches that skirt the river , the Rio Grande . They do love it back there; lots of smells. Beaver, coyotes, raccoons , etc. . No wild hogs yet, but if and when THEY get this far north, I will be packing an elephant gun .

Dar
Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Felurian

Oh, we've got lots of wild hogs here in East Tennessee. They're a real menace. Backintheday a bunch of titled assholes decided they needed to import Russian boars to make hunting more exciting.

Yah, my 3 would think they were in heaven, lol. And be determined to send as many varmints as they could catch on their way. They consider things like that "fast food." Not fast enough to escape though

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
*Now with Snark*

Bear mace is widely available and super effective on 95% of dogs who don't get the hint of the evil eye GTF away face/posture. I don't recommend a taser or a cattleprod. While the taser would work, it's very expensive and you don't know which way the dog will react once its done with the shock. It might run... or it might decide to bite you. Cattleprods are not designed to work on dogs and require a pretty close contact compared to bear mace.

The other 5% that bear mace doesn't deter would benefit from the proper application of a walking stick/shillelagh. I highly recommend the cold steel blackthorn.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I have used pepper spray with great success. It does have its downfalls but I won't risk walking my 3 without it.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
Bear mace is widely available and super effective on 95% of dogs who don't get the hint of the evil eye GTF away face/posture. I don't recommend a taser or a cattleprod. While the taser would work, it's very expensive and you don't know which way the dog will react once its done with the shock. It might run... or it might decide to bite you. Cattleprods are not designed to work on dogs and require a pretty close contact compared to bear mace.

The other 5% that bear mace doesn't deter would benefit from the proper application of a walking stick/shillelagh. I highly recommend the cold steel blackthorn.
I did some poking around.... Cold Steel polypropylene blackthorn walking stick looks nifty !. Mace (brand) Bear Pepper Spray .... not so sure ... bear defense spray sounds less manipulative ... will poke around some more.

So, walking stick as a weapon ; striking , I'm assuming , but maybe strategic jabbing ? . I don't like the idea of cracking a pooch on the noggoin , but if it's them or us , it's us. I can hold two chis in one arm and wield my trusty staff with the other . I have had to snatch them both up quickly before but have never had something to use with a potential free hand . Any tips on technique?.

DS