Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Active Pup

Default Taser guns ?

Instead of a real gun with bullets , that is . For protection , in case the pit bulls down the street get out again and head my way when I'm out walking my little sweethearts . If they charge I will shoot, but I really don't want to hurt them , so I am wondering if a taser would be good (effective, and why wouldn't it be?) , and what's a good one to get (?) .

A friend in the city told his story of getting mauled in the park ; he was insisting I get a gun , "you're allowed to shoot them down there in 'Hooterville", and then I thought "taser ? " .

Dar
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Felurian

A taser is a poor choice because for a lot of reasons.

One, it isn't necessarily a non-lethal choice, especially considering you're talking about an animal that's much smaller than the one a taser is intended to stop. Two, it's basically a "one and you're done" proposition -- what if there's more than one dog?

A much better choice would be a cattle prod if you really feel there's a problem. Understand, though, that it's highly likely those dogs are going to link the unpleasant shock with you and your dogs and it's not going to improve the relationship.

Just how prey driven do they seem? Are they really coming out after your dogs aggressively or are they doing the "what are you doing here close to MY territory" bit? And where are the owners? Would a pocket of treats serve you better and maybe convince them that you and your dogs mean excellent things happen?

This, by the way, is an extremely Pitbull savvy and friendly forum. Many of us own Pitbull types and mixes (myself included, APBT, and a "hot" one). We know they can be very prey driven; we also know that they are (generally) extremely people-friendly. We also know that each individual dog is just that -- an individual and needs to be considered as such.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
A much better choice would be a cattle prod if you really feel there's a problem.
I agree.

I understand you wanting to take precautions, but I must ask, why do you think they may head your way? Are they known to be running loose? Have you had a previous encounter with them? Have they been in an altercation with someone else that you know of?

I really do understand precaution. We have a ton of loose dogs (some bully types, some not) who roam around town so I walk my dog with a walking stick.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Why not carry pepper spray. Non lethal and the dog has a choice to stop before it gets to the spray. I think tazering a dog is horiffic!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Active Pup

They have been loose on several occasions , and when I used to walk by their house , before I knew what they were, they came out into the road and asserted themselves , more in a curious than aggressive way. Later, after I stopped walking in front of their house, but still walked down the road in front of my yard, not all the way to theirs, they were in a more challenging mood, and followed me (us) when I walked back in my direction . Later still, after such an encounter, they had gone all the way 100 yards up the road and 100 in on our driveway into our front yard , right outside the front window. I went berserk and chased them home , and fortunately haven't seen them loose since.

Ok, two dogs, taser not good, but does pepper spray do the trick?. I already have that .
I know the owners are irresponsible people, so I assume they are also irresponsible dog owners , but they're still not mature dogs , so I don't know of any history. My plan is to avoid contact as the prime directive . I have been putting up fencing and once that's done I will stop walking them (mine) on the road . I can walk them out back by the river .

I don't know if they're prey driven and am not interested in talking to the owner at all ; my guess is that she (single mother , possible alcoholic , neglectful parent) is probably useless as far as providing any accurate, objective assesment of the dogs, from this perspective you folks brought up, so ... who knows. They did seem friendly at first, but staying away while I'm facing them , then following me home after I turned away seems agressive , but they were scared of me when I chased them home .

So, briefly again :

Plan A : avoid avoid avoid; keep them out of our yard ; don't walk in the road .
Question big : how effective is pepper spray ? .

DS
Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

How 'bout trying to talk to the owners first and ask them to keep their dogs contained. Then if that doesn't work, try the authorities. Tell them you feel threatened, if you do. Are these dogs seeming dangerous to you? Or are they just checking you out? I would try to go the "training" (Renee's idea) route first if you feel safe enough...if they're not seeming aggressive. If they do seem like they're dangerous, well....no, it's not your job to train them and if it doesn't take effect right away, you or your dogs could be hurt or killed. So, I guess it's a judgement call as to what to do. I know if a dog came out and looked like he wanted to kill me or my dogs, I'd be calling the police or some kind of authority and maybe finding somewhere else to walk for the time being.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

As the owner of small dogs, I pepper spray first, ask questions later. I won't run the risk.

That being said, I don't spray dogs that approach in a non threatening way.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

I also carry Mace/pepper spray and have found it to be very effective (even if the owners are nearby...nobody wants their dog to get sprayed).

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Active Pup

oh, now I'm moderated ?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Either option could be a poor choice. Depending where you live, the pepper content of mace may be regulated, and tasers carried by the general public may be illegal. It can be considered premeditation if you are picked up for going after a dog, or walkign down the street.

Using mace may not be as easy peasy as you would think. Wind, and poor aim may make it harder than you think to get enough spray in a charging dog's face. I've picked up people in poor form tasered by cops needing prong removal, and people who have oopsed with mace and gotten themselves. It can cause decent first degree burns to exposed human flesh. It also may not stop a charging animal or person. Some people and animals can continue through the burn.

Just extra to think about before arming yourself with a weapon while walking your dog.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground