Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Does your dog tolerate puppies?

Both an incident today and Adriennes thread with Sloan got me thinking.

Knox has a serious dislike of young male puppies. Girl puppies can beat the snot out of him and he love it. Little boy puppies he tries to eat. He doesn't hurt them, but he scares the crap out of them when they get in his face and start licking. Once they hit teenage years he's completely different and loves to play with them. But until then I have to make sure they don't go up to him and bug him. He doesn't seek them out, but he'll give them whatfor about getting up in his face and not backing off.

Does your dog like puppies? Merely tolerate? Try to eat them more often than not?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Stryder loves puppies. When the poodles were puppies they'd just and seriously cling/hug his face, and he'd just love it. Kiba was the bitchy mom who always corrected them and wish they'd never be born, Stryder was the fun uncle. Stryder also lets Charlie do anything to him and he just loves her.

I'm not sure about the younger dogs though, we're not around a lot of puppies.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM
APBT crazy!

Buster tolerates them, Rudy is ok with them, and Dixie I am not sure because she is the last pup we brought home.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Argon despises puppies. He has a rigid bubble of how close another dog can get to him, and puppies violate that. He will not correct gently either, so I have to watch him very closely.

Gambit has always been good and gentle with them, but, with him hitting maturity, I've noticed that he's developing definite likes and dislikes with other dogs, and we haven't tested it recently. He's good at telling other dogs off gently, though.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Lol well I wasn't sure.

Shamoo likes puppies for a few minutes but tires quickly.

Arnold likes some dogs and plays well but it's never consistent with genders or ages. His two best play mates were a spayed young female and an intact male. He also plays with Sloan once in a blue moon.

Backup is weird, I'm not really sure. He growls, postures, and bluffs a lot. He never interacts with strange dogs though so I don't have a great range of knowledge for it.

Sloan appears to ignore/tolerate. We'll see what happens if we have a house full of puppies. O_o
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

My dogs all seem to like puppies.

If the puppy is super submissive Keira is a bit of a bully. She stands over them with her hackles raised and has a low growl, but she appears to have no reason for it. She doesn't do anything. Her littermate sisters have been doing that to her since she was a baby though, so maybe it's a learned thing? I don't know. She knocks it off when I tell her to though. And with bolder more confident puppies she either immediately play bows or ignores them.

Ripley hasn't been around many puppies, but he thinks all dogs are friends and the puppies he has been around he's tried to play with. He was really gentle with them. The sharp teeth shocked him a bit though and made him yelp. We'll see how he is next year if my puppy plans turn out. I have a feeling that once he gets over the sharp teeth, he is going to love having a fun tiny playmate. He's just that kind of guy.

Dance generally tries to play with puppies but she also tells them off when they're being rude, as she does with adult dogs also. She's really kind of the fun police now that she's getting older, though. She plays with puppies but seems to have a lot of rules, and gets irritated if those rules aren't followed.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Lab Love

Duke generally likes puppies. My neighbor has a chocolate lab pup who is 5 months old now, and is the RUDEST puppy I have ever seen. She scratches the crap out of his face, licks him all over and just loveshimtopieces. He gets really excited to see her (runs up all giddy) and then just stands and growls while she loves on him. Then just will randomly burst into a butt-tuck run.

Then some friends of mine have two GSD pups about 3 months old, and he played with them really well. But then one of them bit his tail and he was done with them. Stayed up on the couch and just grumbled when they jumped up to claw at his face.

I guess in summary he's more apt to play with puppies than with adult dogs. But he's a ornery guy and prefers people.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Wild At Heart

It depends.

Harleigh tolerates puppies if they are in her house - she still plays with them, but she doesn't like sharing the attention with everyone else. Outside of the house, though, she absolutely LOVES puppies!

Harleigh <3
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Kenya loves puppies. She can play with them for hours.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Millie is pretty much angelic when it comes to puppies. She is SO patient. She was wonderful with Lucy, and she is with Fable, too. Actually she should be snarkier with pups. I wish she'd defend herself more. But after 2 weeks with the ultimate landshark she's getting better at it.