Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

I'd teach her to take treats v-e-r-y gently as a completely separate exercise and attach a verbal cue to it. Spend time in the evening or something when you're not working on anything else. Hold a treat in your closed fist...a very smelly, tasty treat. Let her maul your hand as much as you can stand but don't open it until she only licks and is being gentle. Don't ever let her have a treat when she snaps for it. She's learned that works. Now she has to learn that doesn't work, but gentle mouthing or licking does. Gradually add in the training with taking treats so she generalizes the gentle mouth even in other contexts. Like when you're working on this as a separate exercise, do a sit or few steps of heeling, then back to taking the treat while she's not doing anything else. Then again, another skill that she can get rewarded for and practice while it's fresh in her mind.

Also, when you do want to reward her when training, don't let her have it anyhow, even if she did the other thing right until she is gentle. Or if you want to avoid teaching her to take it gently, open your hand so your fingers aren't vulnerable....like you would with a horse and just feed her like that.

Lyric was a barracuda about treats and it took a bit of time to get the message across, once he had been reinforced for being such a snapper.

My son managed to teach Toker, his dog to take treats ridiculously gently. I mean, he can say, "eeeeeeezy" in a very exaggerated way and you can see her trying really hard to barely touch her teeth to your skin. She can go from pretty gentle to more gentle, to even more gentle as you stand there and say again, "eeeeeezy." It's really cute. She's such a clever dog.

Anyhow, give it a try and see how she does.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
That's how Jora was too. She could do food zen and other sorts of "leave it" type exercises without an issue but she was always VERY excited to work and the more excited she got, the harder she took treats. I tried lots of stuff with her, none of it really worked and eventually I decided that it was just how she was and I didn't care that much. I did warn others who wanted to give her treats though!
Yep. Macky has a HELL of a "leave it" and excellent food zen skills, but she was still dubbed "shark mouth" by the agility instructor today. LOL. If you tell her "take it nice" she slows the approach but still snaps it up. Oh well. I just toss her treats or risk my fingers!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Wild At Heart

I usually toss Harleigh's treats in the air for her to catch. She can be pretty shark-like when taking treats at times, mostly at agility, so it is a win-win for us

Harleigh <3
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Treat zen, I agree! There's a great description on the Training Levels website:

http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page26/styled/

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way down the page and look for "Zen".

It does make it harder to lure behaviors, though, since the dog learns that he gets the food by staying away from the food.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Top Dog

Yes, lots of Zen/It Yer Choice........the other thing I do with dogs like that is a bit opposite to your natural instinct but it works (so far )

So we all know that dogs that get snappy or quick for a reward are often taught that, meaning they snap/grab etc and we instinctively jerk our hands away. So the dog especially in a excited state figures they have to be faster and therefore get worse at trying to get the reward before it goes away. Nasty cycle to get into and an easy one.

What I do, is if they grab, I shove my hand into their mouth while holding the treat, delivering it very quickly, it works lol. Yes, we teach IYC first and don't use verbal 'leave it' 'easy' etc. But some dogs just don't get it. I have shoved my hand into very large mouths with some very large canines in there to mouths with those tiny needle sharp puppy teeth lol. Also you don't hold your hand in there, just shove towards the dog and into the mouth long enough to give the reward.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I taught all my dogs to catch

Actually, I've done what ado does and just try to give them the treat as quickly as possible, as well as some Zen, and I tend to not hold treats between my thumb and forefinger anymore and instead give the treat to them like you would a horse, or I'll hold it between my middle and forefinger or middle and ring finger and palm it to them.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Active Pup

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Training wise working on leave it and being calm around treats and that kind of thing would help

but some other quicker solutions maybe..

Like this..
except teach her to accept treats straight from the dispenser instead of them coming from your hand?

Or perhaps using peanut butter on a spoon?
Throwing treats on the ground?

Or even just spraying bitter apple on your fingers.. help bring the lesson of "open your mouth and treats go in= yummy. Hands in mouth=yuck" home
I would be afraid that they would associate the bitter apple spray to my hands all of the time. This may result in them thinking my hands were bad and they may not want to let me touch them. I don't know, just a thought.
The dispenser was a good idea though.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Active Pup

Question Maybe no bitter apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Training wise working on leave it and being calm around treats and that kind of thing would help

but some other quicker solutions maybe..

Like this..
except teach her to accept treats straight from the dispenser instead of them coming from your hand?

Or perhaps using peanut butter on a spoon?
Throwing treats on the ground?

Or even just spraying bitter apple on your fingers.. help bring the lesson of "open your mouth and treats go in= yummy. Hands in mouth=yuck" home
I would be afraid that they would associate the bitter apple spray to my hands all of the time. This may result in them thinking my hands were bad and they may not want to let me touch them. I don't know, just a thought.
The dispenser was a good idea though.