Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 AM
and Spy.

Default Torn paw pad advice?

Hey guys,

So I was a total idiot earlier and let Spy run after a toy on concrete... I have not noticed any blood, limping, or signs of pain but when playing with his paw tonight in bed I came across this:

photo-11 by EJWeeks, on Flickr

Needless to say I feel really bad about it and can't believe I just noticed now, hours later... Anyway, the reason I am posting is because I want to know if I need to go to the vet. I've done a bit of reading online and from what I can tell, a lot of people say you don't need to go because all the vet can really do in these cases is apply some topical antibiotics and wrap it up in bandages. One of the home treatment methods suggested was to bathe the foot in epsom salts, apply some neosporin and bandage (not too loose, not too tight) for the next two weeks. If things look like they are getting worse or becoming infected, THEN call the vet.

Does this sound like a bad idea? I actually think the picture makes it look a bit worse than it is, but essentially the pad is ripped and a bit of the skin is loose and still hanging over the wound. As far as I can tell, no blood, limping or obvious signs of pain.

If the injury really does need to be dressed properly by a vet obviously I will take him in, but I was just hoping that this kind of injury could be dealt with at home. Unfortunately, our wallets are still recovering from Tucker's vet bills over the past few months so I guess I am hoping to save myself a trip to the vet if it's not necessary.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 AM
overdogged

Steve does this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. Neosporin, a bandage if he'll leave it alone (just to protect it), and time. I don't let Steve swim, either, until it's fairly healed because I don't want him softening up the regrowing skin and re-tearing it.

I've never had one get infected, but if it should get icky, I'd take him in to the vet and get him on antibiotics. Otherwise, there's not much they could do for it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Steve does this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. Neosporin, a bandage if he'll leave it alone (just to protect it), and time. I don't let Steve swim, either, until it's fairly healed because I don't want him softening up the regrowing skin and re-tearing it.

I've never had one get infected, but if it should get icky, I'd take him in to the vet and get him on antibiotics. Otherwise, there's not much they could do for it.
Awesome, thanks so much Yeah Spy frequently cuts his feet and bleeds from his mouth after playing with toys so I feel your pain Spy isn't much into swimming so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Honestly? They heal really really quickly. Look awful, but generally not as bad as they look. Bodhi has done this a few times. I sometimes rinse in a bowl (briefly) if she's been somewhere muddy, but otherwise just leave it be.

Just try and give it chance to heal... bodhi doesn't really get not running tho, and always been ok.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Just to add, bodhi has swam with a cut pad, had no issues. I do keep an eye on it and her.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

Coming in way late, but for next time, you need to get a product called "EMT Gel". Keep it in your pet emergency kit at all times! Enda recently cut one of her toe pads the Monday before we were to show on Thursday. I knew there wasn't really anything you can do about it and it would take a long time to heal, but I Googled it anyway, and came up with someone who said to use this product. After doing some research we called the local TSC store and I had my father swing by and get some. She didn't cut her pad that deep, but heck do they bleed!!! By the time we got to the show it had not only stopped bleeding but was about half healed! About one week and it had healed in half the time, you can't beat that. I'll be keeping this stuff around from now on.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
such sights to show you

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much, just keep it clean and keep an eye on it for signs of infection.

Musher's Secret works great to protect paw pads from concrete or pavement, btw. Not that I think you're planning for this to be a regular occurrence, but just F everyone's I.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

used to happen quite a bit and still does on occassion. I don't do anything. They dont' need anything. They heal just perfectly in a few days as long as they aren't running out on blacktop or something while trying to heal.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Mutts to you

I use Musher's Secret on Riley when we go scootering, since a lot of the route is either pavement or gravel. It's supposed to be good for cut pads, too.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey