Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm going to attempt to do the whole raising-a-puppy-in-an-apartment...we'll see how it goes! I figure if I can get Chloe to adapt, a puppy should be a breeze.

I'm in a complex, but not really. They are one story units, with four units on each side of the building (front and back) with parking right in front, so people shouldn't be walking back and forth outside my window all of the time as they can park right in front of their own door. The lot is small, and it is off a not-so-traveled street, so traffic should be at a minimum. You walk out the door and go to the end of the unit and there is a huge grass yard for potty breaks. (One of the apartments I looked at I liked, but turned down because it would have taken me AGES to get to small grass spot, and I didn't want to do that at two in the morning with a puppy. O.o Not just because of how annoying that would have been, but for safety reasons.)

Chloe already goes out to the bathroom on a leash as our yard isn't fenced, so I'm used to throwing on a coat and shoes to take her out. I have no shame and will probably still walk her in my PJs with my hair like a crazy person even when I move. LOL

My one worry is that if Chloe will teach the puppy to bark at everything...and that I SO do not need. Luckily, the breeds I'm interested in aren't prone to being vocal - and if I adopted, I would be dang sure to make sure I'm getting one that is quiet.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Sit! Good dog.

My idea of hell. I don't want each wee to be a mission!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm All Ears

I raised Mia in an apartment..... It wasn't a very good idea but I had no idea Mia would end up so loud and destructive of a puppy.

I pretty much survived by spending literally 2+ hours of my day letting her run around off leash at the park.

I'm in a duplex/townhome now and still worry about sharing a wall although the lady next door swears she never hears my dogs bark, which is good.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I've raised a few puppies in an apartment. Yeah, it wasn't the best place for a puppy, but I'd do it again if I had to!

Rylie and Chloe spent their first 3 years in an apartment. Tucker lived in an apartment for only a few months. Rory and Emma grew up in our house which was much easier. No flights of stairs to run down for potty breaks!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM
The Littlest Hound

I've had all my coonhounds and fosters in apartments... I guess I've just never known any differently? I feel like I can put any dog in an apartment lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Resident fainting goat

Maybe it's because I don't know any better...
then again, people think we are crazy for simply LIVING in an apartment 52 floors above the ground with dogs period lol

I've never raised a puppy, but the idea of an animal being "let out" into a yard or just stepping out my door to be outside is so foreign to me that I doubt it'll be that much of an adjustment lol

There are some plus sides

-It's a forced socialization. In elevators/in the building and around it alone your puppy will meet all kinds of people/dogs and even cats lol and be on floor surfaces from your apartment, to hallways, to stairs, to elevators.. sounds of people apartments, smells of everybody cooking and just all kinds of things for your pup to experience

- Bathroom time is always supervised and always re-enforced (so potty training comes easier a lot of the time) . By the time you have made your way out the door, down the stairs/elevator, through the lobby and outside, you are SO HAPPY to see your puppy go that you are ALWAYS throwing a party when it happens lol and of course, you are always there.. no way they are making that trip by themselves.

- Potty schedules are easier to determine. You might not remember every time you stepped out in the yard.. but trust me, you remember every time you made the journey out of your apartment to the potty place, and you REALLY REMEMBER each time your puppy actually went.

- I like to call it "forced bonding" Lol it's a term I heard at the dog park one day actually.. You and this puppy are stuck together in a small space. and like most people stuck together in small spaces, like college room-mates.. there is no avoiding each other or getting away from each other so ...you tend to spend a lot more time getting to know one another/being around each other and learning quirks/habits.
Sticking this puppy in a spare room or yard is not an option..so you are kind of on the fast-track course to you and this dog getting to know one another VERY VERY WELL.

- Say goodbye to the lazy/anti-social lifestyle and HELLO to being a city dog owner. It's an exclusive club. Your life of lounging around by yourself are over. For now on, you are OUT and AROUND where-ever you live, all the time. You have to be. Puppies go to the bathroom a lot and they need walks. Never noticed that park 5 blocks down? Starbucks down the street? Pond down the lane? now you do.

- You are no longer "Mr/Mrs.So and So." another perk of being a city dog owner. You are and forever will be "Max's mom" "Fifi's Dad" etc.. You will go to the park/play areas around the same time as other people and start to notice the same dogs/people.. get to know em.. because chances are, you guys are gonna be close lol It's an exclusive club but a loving one most of the time

- No need to worry about your dog/puppy wearing collars/leads inside. Even if he does door dash.. where is he gonna go? lol

- "Creative inside games" will become your specialty. Forget dog books or training DVDs.. you want to talk to some creative dog entertaining small space games.. talk to dog owners in apartments.
Boy do we come up with the craziest things to get our dogs to leave us alone when we don't feel like walking them or it's winter time with no yard to run in

Kong stuffers? We are usually Professionals. That's kid stuff.

I am talking about the RIDICULOUS games we come up with that A. involve staying inside and B. Don't take up a lot of space...

*500 toy pickup where we throw toys everywhere and ask the dog to retrieve each and put them in the toy box.
*Hallway olympics which pretty simply involves doing laps around the hallway as fast as you can before neighbors come out and ask WTF you are doing lol
* Mini fetch which involves finding the ONE longest length of space SOMEWHERE in your apartment (usually it involves sitting in your bedroom and throwing toys kind of outside towards the living room)

*Hide & Seek.. which is less of a game (but still kind of a game) which involves you running around and throwing toys while also trying to find a spot in your apartment somewhere where you can take a nap without a dog in your face

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Cloudcandy

I will echo what Fran says about creative games,I sit on my sofa and lob toy's down the hallway into the bathroom and Coco runs up and down it.
One of the other games I like is "Coco up high",I let her sit in my dressing gown while I make breakfast so she can see what is up high.
I never really thought about the close bonding,infant Coco doesn't have a choice really,unless she wants to sit in the hallway or bathroom then she is with me,literally I live in a room.

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I have always had to go outside with my dog (no fence and in town) so that was never a big deal to me.

I guess moreso I worry about the noise level. What happens if your dog decides to bark its fool head off every time you leave, lol.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm All Ears

I never had any complaints from neighbors but that was always my big fear. as I mentioned recently, Mia is a loudmouth.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I have always had to go outside with my dog (no fence and in town) so that was never a big deal to me.

I guess moreso I worry about the noise level. What happens if your dog decides to bark its fool head off every time you leave, lol.
bark. collar.

lol

Good owner, right?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.