Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

Wow. I kinda expected the Sibe to be up there. High maintenance in just about every sense of the word....grooming, energy levels, attention spans, exercise, diet, intelligence....everything except health.

But I do think it really depends on the person and how they define it.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Average owner gets their cocker's coat clipped to nothing. They are prone to being badly bred and bought from bybs.. Can't say they are worse on SA issues than any other dogs I know.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Water Junkie

My border collie is so NOT high maintenance. It was actually a little funny this past weekend when talking to a person at a dock diving event. He made the point that it was hard to have Border Collies in the house. I politely said, actually Blaze is super EASY to have in the house - he's got a great off switch and knows when to chill out.

For me, and the Border Collies I've been around, they're super easy dogs.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Just try me..

Hmm I wouldn't say my dogs are high maintenance. But it could be what one is used to. I have never had what people consider easy to live with dogs, so who knows.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
such sights to show you

It's weird, but to me energy and mental/physical activity needs are just... normal dog qualities.

"High maintenance" to me means going above and beyond what I would expect an average dog to need... so stuff like a lot of grooming, or some really specialized feature like loads of facial folds that needed constant cleaning... but not stuff like exercise or training.

Then again, probably a lot of people would consider Squash high maintenance, but I like doing the things it takes to maintain him so my perception may be effed up.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM
<--------Orson

I think Orson is high maintenance in terms of being an attentionwhore. Grooming, easy as pie. Energy? easy. He's ready to go when we are and done when we are (99% of the time anyway, LOL) but attentionwhoring is that dog's trademark!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Big Dog

I don't think anyone can define what is high maintenance so much depends on what a person is used to or what you are willing to do. Some people would consider my Shih Tzu x Maltese high maintenance as they need to be either brushed a lot or clipped off. I keep them clipped short (do it myself), they are very low to no shedding so do not have to keep cleaning up hair from them.

Susie, I consider high maintenance as far as coat is concerned as she sheds so much hair all the time. It really depends on whether you are considering coat or energy in whether they are "high" maintenance.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It's weird, but to me energy and mental/physical activity needs are just... normal dog qualities.

"High maintenance" to me means going above and beyond what I would expect an average dog to need... so stuff like a lot of grooming, or some really specialized feature like loads of facial folds that needed constant cleaning... but not stuff like exercise or training.

Then again, probably a lot of people would consider Squash high maintenance, but I like doing the things it takes to maintain him so my perception may be effed up.
This! Dogs have energy and hair... now a puli or similar is high maintenance... not a normal dog.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I have Malinois. I consider them high maintenance. I think some people see this as an insult and it is not. I have to take special precautions with my Malinois that I would not have to take if I owned a less aggressive, lower drive, higher tolerance, easier off switch dog. My pit bulls have their own requirements as well per DA but in reality they are pretty low maintenance dogs (most APBT are not like mine). They sleep most of the day, they enjoy short walks, they love almost everyone, tolerate most things I ask of them and most importantly to me lately they're not hard to find a pet sitter for meanwhile I'm pulling my hair out finding someone I trust with the mals.

Eta, in the future too much DA and too much hair, are things that are deal breakers for me and things I consider "too high maintenance". Not an insult but too much for me to live with.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

I don't think you can really lump high maintenance as it pertains to grooming in the same group as high maintenance when it comes to energy and training needs. They're two totally different things.

I'd consider my Dobermans to be high maintenance for a lot of people, but for me, they're easy. They do seem to need a lot more structure and need a lot more expectation reinforcing than other dogs I've owned, but it's just the way life is for me and my dogs and so I don't find it difficult at all. When they were younger I used to get overwhelmed with just how head strong and persistant and attention seeking they were with scattered energy (ie: high maintenance), but I've gotten used to it and now I find them rather boring in a lot of ways, haha. They're just so easy for me now. For my mom though, they're not easy at all. She would probably consider them high maintenance. I like energetic, drivey dogs though and she likes laid back dogs.

I actually find it funny when people go on and on about how high maintenance Tollers are. And I am sure some probably are, but for me personally, I don't find any of the ones I know (mine included) high maintenance at all. But on the same token, other people tell me about their Tollers (who sound similar to Dance and the others I know well) and how overwhelmed they are with all of their dogs' needs.

Our friend with Poms always says how high maintenance her dogs are. Whenever we take care of them she says "I'm sorry, I know they're high maintenance" and they so are not. I don't know what kinds of dogs she thinks we live with but compared to ours, who (as I said) are pretty easy, her dogs are a piece of cake. They're untrained, sure, but all they really do is sleep, eat and bark. They don't require nearly the same amount of daily time as mine do.

So yes, it's all completely dependent on an individual. I personally will be getting a dog of a breed next time around that many would consider hyper or crazy or 'high maintenance', but I just happen to like dogs that most people think are too much work. And when people ask me about my current breeds, I tell them the good with the bad as I know for a lot of people that both of my current breeds would be near the top of the list as far as being high maintenance goes.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN