Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
IMO when you live in an apartment building with multiple floors, you generally know what your getting into, no matter how quiet a person is the people on the apartment below are going to hear everything... yes there are times when people can be more courteous, but you really can't expect people to tiptoe around and not "live" just because you hear everything they do..
We don't expect this. And I don't think we hear everything they do. The mom is a SAHM and sometimes I will hear her walk across the floor, or do things in the kitchen, and you can hear when people vacuum above you, but its not loud. These are normal sounds, and they don't bother me or anyone else. Actually, it is pretty quiet up until about 4:30pm, which is, I assume, when the kids get home from school. Then you can hear them run across the floor, and sometimes it sounds like they jump off of furniture. And sometimes you'll just be sitting there tuning out the regular noise, and suddenly right over your head there is a giant THUMP. Always makes me jump out of my skin! This noise will continue until about 9:30, I assume that's when the kids go to bed.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

See but for me, that is normal kid activity. I just know when I go to a hotel with the kids it is so freaking stressful trying to keep them relatively quiet and calm. NO way it would happen at home.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
See but for me, that is normal kid activity. I just know when I go to a hotel with the kids it is so freaking stressful trying to keep them relatively quiet and calm. NO way it would happen at home.
I agree with this--if this apt. is their home--they can't be expected to run out to the park every time the child/ren want to romp. As a parent, I definitely would try to keep it to a low roar--but kids are kids--and to expect them to be quiet is not reasonable. Living in an apt--you are going to hear things, and you are also going to cause noise of your own.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Squishy face

I doubt my roommates and I make that much noise. One roommate is asleep all day, one roommate is at work all day, and when I get home at 12:30 I take a shower, put on my pjs and look for jobs on the internet. I suppose we do make noise when we use the Wii fit, as some of those games require running in motion. And everyone hears everyone else's smoke alarms go off from time to time because they are super sensitive and will go off when cooking, even if you just have the oven open too long. We've figured out ways around that though, we cook with the vent fan on high, try not let things sizzle, and open and close the oven as quickly as possible to minimize the amount of heat escaping. We've gotten it to the point where the alarm only goes off every couple of weeks or so.

I've never lived under kids before, so I don't know if this noise is par for the course or if it really is an abnormal noise level - it is difficult to describe it over the Internet. I've been around my friend's kids, and yeah the four year old and six year old like to run around and be loud, but the 9 year old sits on the couch and plays his DS, or watches sports with his dad. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. At least our neighbors are friendly.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

Our condo has quiet hours. We don't hear much anyway (dogs barking, babies crying, kids talking, people stomping, vacuum.. we can't hear any of it unless we are in a hallway walking by their door) we have thick walls and really the only sounds like penetrate are REAL SCREAMING (the kind of screaming people do in horror movies)

but IMO yes, quiet hours need to be respected, kids or no.
I am sympathetic to babies crying.. but I'm sorry, between the hours of 9 PM-7 AM you need to shut your kids up if I can hear them SCREECHING LIKE BANSHEES through walls that are designed to muffle sounds.
People are trying to sleep and you signed up to live in this environment and follow the rules.

There is NO REASON your kids needs to be YELLING/SINGING FRIKIN DORA THE EXPLORER TUNES AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS at midnight (yes. this has happened before and management did go up and tell them to quiet down)

We got a really nice letter from our next door neighbor saying that she just had a baby and apologizing for the late night crying that would be going on. and I think that was really nice and totally ignored the baby noise and everything else.. a little courtesy goes a LONG WAY when it comes to what people will deal with.

But the attitude of "my kids can do no harm! We don't have to follow any rules kid will be kids and I AM SUPREME RULER AND HOLIER THAN THOU BECAUSE I AM A PARENT!" needs to stop.

Nobody is expecting kids to be silent... but if you bought an apartment. you agree to follow the rules.. and that means quiet hours.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Unfortunately, a lot of apartments are so poorly built that quiet is impossible. But yes, people need to train their kids to behave like reasonably civilized beings, at least when other people are trying to sleep. But it would be hard to do all the time.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of apartments are so poorly built that quiet is impossible. But yes, people need to train their kids to behave like reasonably civilized beings, at least when other people are trying to sleep. But it would be hard to do all the time.
sweet said the roommate was trying to sleep during the day. I think that makes it tough to keep a kid quiet during the day. Evening --sure. You also have to think about the structure--some places the walls are so thin you can hear anything. I suspect that Fran, you live in a more upscale place--not all apts. have rules for quiet hours.
Either way--parents do need to teach their children manners, etc. But to think they won't make noise--or romp around is unrealistic, IMO.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Who woulda thought <3

not all apt complexs have quiet hours lol I know mine sure doesnt.... BUT as I said earlier when you move into an apartment you KNOW you are going to be in close proximity to other people and you have to expect to hear other people to live their lives... I do however think that people need to be more courteous, but depending on the apartment no matter how quiet you try to be, to the apartment below its going to sound a LOT louder even if it is just "normal" sounds.... In my building there are just 4 apartments and we are all single working adults and I do live in a bottem floor apartment and can hear EVERYTHING, but I knew that going in so it wasnt a surprise.. even so it all depends on the location, normal play CAN sound like bouncing off the walls in apartments lol
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Yeah romping around at midnight and being loud is totally different from during the day AND from crying. Sorry, unfortunately some kids cry a lot and there is really nothing you can do. If a toddler has night terrors for instance, or babies with colic, on and on. Sure, you can be courteous and apologize, but in those situations there is no way to "shut them up"

ETA: hmm, this may come across harsher then I intended. I didnt mean for it to be snarky. My point is though its often easy to think they should do "this" when it just doesnt work. Some children really cant control their crying (and no young baby can) or even their tantrums.

Last edited by Greenmagick; 04-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Maybe the world is changing but we lived in an apt for the first two yrs we were married and our neighbours on the next floor had kids that we hardly ever heard .Even in our own house I didn't allow any loud yelling or banging around. They could laugh and play but in decent tones , heck I didn't even let them go nuts and screech like animals outside, you hate to disturb your next door neighbours. On the whole street their was only one family who let their kids scream and yell out of control and they were not well liked in our neighbourhood.
I make exceptions for sick children , they can cry all day and all I feel is sympathy, little kids shouldn't have to be in pain....lol.