Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Squishy face

Default Slight rant about apartment living.

Yes I know I seem to post a lot of these lately. This one is not about my roommates though.

If you had kids, say 7-9 years old, and you lived in an apartment (not on the first floor!), would you let your kids be as loud as humanly possible, or would you attempt to keep them quiet? Would it be possible to keep kids to a dull roar in this setting? I ask because the neighbors upstairs can sometimes be VERY LOUD. We've asked them nicely to keep it down before because my roommate sleeps during the day, and it worked a little, but sometimes I sit here and wonder just what the heck they are doing up there! Tonight it sounds like elephants thumping around up there!

We are looking at renting a townhouse when our lease is up in June because they are raising the rent. They have also sent out letters threatening to raise pet rent because stupid people aren't picking up after their dogs. We always pick up after Miles, but they can't tell who is picking up and who isn't, so they will punish everybody. I think it will be nice to live in a townhouse, we won't have to listen to people stomping about over our heads anymore!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

When I was a kid we always were taught to "walk softly" in the house and keep the noise level down... common decency IMO not just for our neighbors but for the sanity and mental health of the parents themselves!

Kids need a place to burn off steam and scream their heads off? that's what parks are for. or chucky cheese or zoos. or whatever.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Squishy face

There is a playground right across the street. But for some reason the kids prefer running back and forth across the floor instead (I do understand that you can't take kids to the playground at 9:00 at night though). Just a few minutes ago the couch shook.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Tyler used to have this issue when he was living in an apartment, and he was a shift worker so a lot of the time he was sleeping during the day. You would hear the kids running back and forth stomping like Elephants, but you also heard the mother constantly screaming and yelling at them.

When that would happen we would just take the broom or a hockey stick and start pounding on the ceiling, that usually did the trick, until next time lol

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Oh ugggg! I'd hate that. I think a townhouse would be so much better. Then all you'd have to worry about is the sound from beside you. Hopefully, you can get an end unit so you only have one shared wall. Still...it beats the heck out of that over-head crashing around. Good luck. I hope you find a remedy for this awful situation.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

While it sucks, I admit I think it is not really possible to keep 7-9 year old kids quiet all the time in their own home. I mean, we do dancing, tickling fights, etc. that all probably make noise and thats not including just normal noise.

Then again, I have never lived in an apt.

I have been in some though were things that were really pretty normal activities sounded really loud below.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

I live in a townhouse, and we share walls with a family that have three daughters: 8 years old, 5 years old, and 3 years old. They are SOOOO loud! They run up and down the stairs and it sounds like someone is running and jumping INSIDE our house. I know it's impossible to keep three young kids quiet all the time, but the level of noise is intense!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Who woulda thought <3

IMO when you live in an apartment building with multiple floors, you generally know what your getting into, no matter how quiet a person is the people on the apartment below are going to hear everything... yes there are times when people can be more courteous, but you really can't expect people to tiptoe around and not "live" just because you hear everything they do..
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Show Dog

I live in a house. My neighbors kids are animals, they yell all day long outside. My husband sleeps during the day. This is the only thing I dread about the summer.

These kids use bad language and they are about 7. They come up to the fence and tease the dog. Last year they threw chloring tablets over the fence for the dog to eat.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

I don't have children, but I spent a large portion of my childhood in apartments. I was a naturally quiet child, but my mom always made sure I didn't make too much noise. We were always on the ground floor, too, so there wasn't any worry of walking/running and having people downstairs hear it.

However, most of our neighbors were not as considerate - there were children running and screeching at all hours. I don't know if I'd ever be able to go back to apartment life. It's bad enough hearing the neighbor kids through the walls of my HOUSE.