Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default This is what a stay-at-home mom does all day

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/thi...y-2522745.html

Original column and reply...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052201554.html

It's sad that people can't imagine how a SAHM could possibly be busy all day, let alone assume they "Relax and Enjoy" insulating they use being busy as an excuse... I did enjoy my days though, nothing I'd have rather been doing... But Relax was not always achievable! LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

LOL I know... I read that and I just LAUGHED.

I only have one child so I don't have it nearly as difficult as some stay at home moms do but it's not a cakewalk LOL. but it is the greatest pleasure at the same time

tonight we were playing on the porch with Hannahs sand table and she asked me "Mom where is my mickey mouse thing with the cheese" Brian looked totally lost and I was like "Don't worry... i actually know exactly what she's talking about" LOL it's a little bubble wand in the shape of a mouse with a piece of cheese

I always dread when someone wants me to call them or they call me (other than my parents or my MIL lol). Talking on the phone is not an easy task. The dogs are barking, Hannah needs to go potty and needs help, then I don't care how great a parent you are... 4 year olds do NOT get the concept of the phone and not interrupting when you are on it lol, and then I'm trying to switch over the laundry and get dinner ready while holding the phone with my shoulder because both hands are busy. Other moms always just seem to know that texting is the way to go until we can see each other face to face lol.

another example... saturday afternoon we were home relaxing and Hannah was watching a movie on Brians laptop and I was taking a few moments of me time and playing epic mickey. When Hannah came out and discovered what I was doing... the next ten minutes went like this

"Hey what are you playing? can I try? why not? who is that guy? what is he doing? what are you doing? what are you looking for? why are you looking for that? what does that do? is that a ghost? is he scary or friendly? did you find what you were looking for yet?" and so on and so forth until I gave up LOL

I read something that said "did you know that the average preschooler asks 437 questions a day" YES I did know that LOL

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Resident fainting goat

Anybody who thinks that stay at home moms do nothing all day have obviously never even babysat children.
I'd say around age 9-10, yea, things do get easier for parents. You notice more stay at home moms looking well rested, finding part time work or enjoying more free time but before that? Oy. There isn't enough money in the world for me to do that job (nor do I have the skills necessary lol)

It's not like you can stick babies/toddlers in a crate with a kong lol they are INTO EVERYTHING, they tend to not like to sleep at regular times.. have particular eating habits..and are just loud and crazy! lol
Not to MENTION mothers that also do house work (Cleaning, laundry, cooking) as well as raising babies.

You know the saying "It take a village to raise a child". I am a proud product of that philosophy and my parents are VERY LUCKY to have the support system of aunts, uncles, cousins etc.. where child care and everything is done together. (not to mention being from a country where having a nanny/house keeper is as normal as having baby bottles when it comes to kids lol)

I think stay at home parents are awesome and have very hard jobs. Raising a kid (not to mention other house stuff) is HARD WORK.

(also must add, I don't think moms that love their careers or for some other reason choose to not stay at home don't love their kids/have the right priorities/raise their children etc.. any worse than parents who do stay at home. IMO No choice is worse/better than the other. It's all about what is right for the family and situation.but no matter how you do it.. raising a child is a job in itself. and a hard and important one at that)
Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

yeah add in the housework and that stuff ... it's a juggling act lol

We are usually out of the house at least 4 hours a day. Between social obligations, homeschool co op, grocery shopping, "play" times (playgrounds, childrens museum etc... time to burn off their energy lol), all other errands so on and so forth.

I have it pretty easy. Hannah was never the kind of child that got into things. I never even had child proofing things because she just didn't have any interest in getting into stuff she wasn't supposed to lol so I was very lucky that way.

But yeah.. it's a full day. but extremely fulfilling and then you get moments like today... I was SO tired this afternoon and I begged Hannah to give me a few moments to lay on the couch with my eyes closed for a bit. so she came over and gave me a kiss on my forehead and told me she loved me and then she went and sat down and watched mary poppins quietly lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Squishy face

Personally, I'd prefer going to work every day to taking care of a kid. Going to work is easier!

I have a friend with a 9 month old little girl, who's name also happens to be Hannah, coincidentally. She works, and sometimes her mom watches her baby, and sometimes her brother watches the baby, and sometimes her husband watches the baby. Her husband, of course, is used to the baby, but her mom and her brother always say how TIRED they are when my friend gets home! And the kid can't even walk yet, but boy she can crawl!

I like kids, and I'm pretty good with them, but I can only handle them for short periods of time. Just watching them play and run around exhausts me, lol. I could never be a parent, I value my independence, "me" time and quiet time way too much.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I praise God every night that hannah is so good about goin to bed in time and going right to sleep lol. 8pm and after is my time

Tonight brian is at Men's fellowship for our church and hannah goes to bed soon and I am making myself an adult beverage and firing ip epic mickey lol

G.K. Chesterton

Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
(also must add, I don't think moms that love their careers or for some other reason choose to not stay at home don't love their kids/have the right priorities/raise their children etc.. any worse than parents who do stay at home. IMO No choice is worse/better than the other. It's all about what is right for the family and situation.but no matter how you do it.. raising a child is a job in itself. and a hard and important one at that)
For sure!!! I hated that superior attitude in some SAHM's I knew as much as the insulation by others that SAHM don't work hard...

As long as you are putting your kids top priority that's what matters... Though I do think sometimes people (Jenn's childhood friend had parents who both trucked long haul, they were only home every other weekend, he was raised by a string of different "Helpers") should consider if their career will be compatible with raising a child...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Finally we return to the kitchen, and I realize that the baby is wailing because she's pooped in her nice clean diaper (the girl likes a clean canvas).
Loved that! What a funny, but believable article. So true.

Try adding that to mowing the lawn, painting the house inside and out, cleaning gutters and clearing blackberry bushes, cultivating and planting a vegetable garden, keeping it up, cleaning, cooking, transporting the older child around to classes, the toddler to pre-school for a couple hours a day, etc, which of course entails sticking other kids in car seats for the ride, including 2 to 3 day care children, usually 1 infant that I had for about 4 years in addition to my 2. My ex, (then husband) worked at a job and had a home shop too. He worked hard, granted. But he did nothing in the way of home maintenance to speak of. I did all the yard work etc. Then he told me I wasn't doing my part, that I should be working. No paycheck to him equaled not doing my part. How do you like them apples?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

That is one thing I am truly grateful for. I am grateful for many things but this in particular. Brian is super supportive of what I do all day. I couldn't do his job and he fully recognizes that he isn't cut out to do mine either lol. He is a great father, don't get me wrong about that but he isn't cut out for domestic goddess status lol

G.K. Chesterton

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

A good parent is engaged and involved in their kids' lives regardless whether they work outside the home or not, or whether they are the mom or dad...

Granted my mom worked plus raised the kids while my dad traveled a lot, and even managed to produce three productive members of society who are well-adjusted and, so far as I know, never felt anything but supported in all our interests as kids.

But then the older I get, the more I realize my mom is and was pretty much a superhero

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13