Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-26-2004, 03:08 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Default Boxer

Why do I have a feeling this is a bad idea???

My mom really wants a boxer. Now, this wouldn't have anything to do with me, but naturally guess who's going to have her (Mom doesn't like male dogs) when the parental units are on vaca, or work late ect...
Everything I read contadicts info on the boxer. I heard they are high energy dogs, but one magazine said they're couch potatoes. Any boxer owners out there? What about shedding? Is it true their goal in life is to dominate the other dogs? I'm hoping this is just a faze, but she's going to look at one tomorrow and wants me to go along.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Felurian

Poor Brattina!

One statement: even the best cared for and best fed boxers are farters.

One question: is this the same mother who got rid of Minnie?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

I LOVE Boxers so I've done a lot of reserch on them. Here is what I have summed up so far:
1. Exercise= Boxers can be/are mellow in the house, but they need a lot of physical and mental exercise each day. They are also 'Velcro' dogs that want/need constent companionship. (In other words, you can't just throw them out in the backyard and expect them to be happy.)
2. Other dogs= Some dogs are dominate with other dogs, but most are freindly.
3. Shedding= They shed like a normal dog would. Not as heavy as a Golden Retriever, but heavier than an Itailan Greyhound.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Poor Brattina!

One statement: even the best cared for and best fed boxers are farters.

One question: is this the same mother who got rid of Minnie?
Y E S!
Now you don't wonder why I'm so against this. Some good news is that the lady called us saying that someone offered her 200$ more than the asking price so she sold her to that person w/o delay, so we didn't even have to go look.
But now she wants to raise her own Boxer puppy. (can you hear me groaning through the computer?)
I want to know whether it could possibly work out, or have some good hard facts to prove to her it is a bad idea.
Exersize. How much is a lot? My mother jogs around town (its about 3 blocks honestly) with her friends in the morning (sometimes I join her with Maddie & Carly). She would consider going again in the afternoon. I don't know if that would be enough for a boxer, as I have absolutly no experiance in the breed. She likes to train dogs so she can show them off to her friends, tricks & obediance. She already invested in a meduim sized puzzle ball for when she is at work. No one would be home for about 7hrs...
I'm worried about their 13yr old Sheltie. I'm afriad there will be tension and/or fights over who is to be the alpha dog because Nikki isnt really up to it. I also worry about the boxer getting along with Maddie and Carly, but I don't think that will be that big of a deal. Mom doesn't like male dogs, she wants a female of course. I know that if you have a female its a good idea to get a male, but not always so. Will that matter with a boxer & the current dog/s?
My great aunt had a pug that shed a lot. I'm not sure if pugs are considered heavy shedders or not. How does a boxer shedding compare to a pug?
Thanks guys, for all your help, I'm trying to prevent a disaster here, and the books/websites I've found/read arent much help.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

A REALLY good website for your questions would be www.boxerworld.com. These people have all of the experience with the breed like no other. I guess I would put the Boxers activity level near the 'Golden Retriever Puppy' level. I've never owned one, but I do know some Boxers and both of those were REALLY active. A Boxer would shed less than a pug. Pugs (IMO) shed a LOT. Boxers aren't so heavy. I wouldn't want to leave a puppy alone for 7 hours. Exspecialy a Boxer puppy.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Felurian

Here's a thought, Brattina ~ if your Mom wants a dog she can "show off," jog with, and train to do a few tricks, why not adopt a retired racing whippet? From all the accounts I've heard and the ones I've seen, they're easily trained to do some tricks, obviously will jog with her, are quiet around the house, non-destructive, and shouldn't cause any problems for little Nickie, even if it's a female. And you could point out how elegant they are . . .

Boxers are the clowns of the dog world; rambunctious, funny, energetic and easily bored. And you're right, even the most submissive Boxer pup will drive an elderly dog around the bend if not supervised and kept out of the older dog's hair. They just want EVERYBODY to love them and join in the fun.

Sometimes you just can't stop mothers from doing absurd things, so you have to deflect their interests in a less destructive direction . . . kind of like puppies!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 PM

Thanks everybody!
Sounds like a good idea Renee! If I could flip it to a different breed that would be more appropirate for her lifestyle it would be a lot better! She's eased off after I sent her some Boxer rescue sites here in Ohio. They have strict guidelines for who adopts, and explain their reasons. 2 points boxer rescue, Mom 0 (lol)
I'll update if anything else happens...

Old 12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Felurian

One thing about it, a retired racer wouldn't be much of a strain on your menagerie - just make your Mom agree - if she does get another dog - that it is partly yours since you wil be caring for it, too and getting attached to it. I know you don't want a repeat of Minnie's disappearance.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-01-2004, 06:59 PM

Yes, and I've always wanted to say Good for You Serena!

Exactly Renee! Thank you!
Really, I didn't think I'd miss that dumb little dog when she left, but I do/did miss Minnie so much! I still try and act like I don't, call her dumb, but I think thats just a bad defence mechanism that doesnt really work.
I sent her a long e-mail telling her what I thought, nicely. Sometimes its easier because she won't get defensive and not let me finish talking...
idunno... I'll just try to do my best and deal with whatever happens, because thats all I can do right now.
I think she almost understands what I mean, because I've been having her help out with Carly (she's being such a pistol!) and its put things into perspective for her. This morning she said 'puppies arent easy' *gasp!* (no duh)

Old 12-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Felurian

I'll add:

PPO must be able to stand onslaught of two enthusiastic Fila Brasileiros upon arrival home.

PPO must be able to scold sad faced Fila puppy with empty trash bag stuck on back leg and unidentified garbage suspended from the jowls in drool - while keeping a straight face.

PPO must be willing to give up the last delicious morsel of their favorite food on a routine basis in bonding exercises.

PPO must be willing to put entire hand in maw, feeling around in jowls and under the tongue for what the big puppy has that it shouldn't and really, really doesn't want to give up.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian