Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Blue_Dog

On the car ride home from getting him he snuggled into me, but his first night with us he slept with me on the couch and just before he fell asleep he looked up at me and it just clicked. He was my dog.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
orange iguanas.

Probably a couple months in.

Juno was supposed to be the family dog. After I started working with her, it started becoming evident that she was clearly mine. It wasn't even really a mutual thing LOL she hooked on to me way before I connected with her.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
such sights to show you

Pip, when I saw his Petfinder picture. I can't find it, but it was very similar to this picture (which was taken his first few days home):

Sure, I went through the formality of meeting him, but I was lost already.

Squash, when I saw this picture:

I filled out a puppy application it turns out his first momma thought that he was a good fit for me out of his litter, but again... I was just lost at the sight of him.

Maisy... took awhile. I wasn't honest with myself about it at the time, but in retrospect I really wanted her to be just like her predecessor, Roxy. I wanted Roxy II. And she is nothing whatsoever like Roxy was. So it took awhile for us to bond. It was probably close to 6-8 months after she came home that she and I really finally figured each other out and truly clicked, now I can't imagine why I didn't want her to be herself all along.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Well, I was pretty in love with Abby when I first bought her home... BUT

I wouldn't say I had fully bonded with her until she was around 18 or 20 months.

The puppy time was fun, but as I discovered her temperament issues my dreams and expectations were shattered. And I felt really wretched and completely incompetent as an owner. It was all very upsetting at the time.

And she has always had this independence and a slight toughness about her that I wasn't sure how to handle at first.

But working with her and building up that working relationship which I didn't really have to begin with was what made us. I loved that puppy, but I freakin' adore my adult dog, warts and all. It's a very strong bond.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

With Chloe, the day I met her, before she was even mine. I just instantly bonded with her. She slept with my sister and I on an air mattress that night and it just felt right. She was meant to be ours. Once my dad said we could have her, we had to leave her in Alabama because she was supposed to be spayed (the shelter was being uncooperative however so we ended up not having it done which I regret) and when we left she looked at me as we were walking out the door and I broke down in tears. I didn't want to leave her there, and it sucked being away from her. But we've been together since.

As for Violet, she isn't mine, but I do have a strong connection with her. I think the moment that really bonded me with her was when she was 4 or 5 months and she brought a toy to me and nudged my hand to take it. Holly did the exact same thing, and it just made me want to cry... And I realized just how much she meant to me, because despite all the naughty things about her, she has so many great things about her too, and she's a true piece of Holly. And surprisingly I really love her for her individuality and not just the things that remind me of Holly.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
overdogged

With Luce, it was the moment she dove wiggling and snorting into my lap at the shelter. She had me hook, line, and sinker. And despite the number of times I've tried to pay people to TAKE HER over the course of her life, she is my heart and soul.

It took a long time with Steve. He's always been a really neat and interesting dog and one that I've enjoyed training, but it's only been within the last year, probably, that I've truly felt a connection to him.

And Mushroom, poor Mushroom. His heart belongs to my mother.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Just try me..

With Dekka it happened over a while, which makes sense as she was born here It was when I realized this little puppy found ME the most exciting thing, more exciting than the other puppies, than exploring, than new dogs etc

Kat was very quickly MY dog.

The rest aren't so much. Dash is getting there. Seren might get there, she REALLY wants to be MY dog so much. Its not right but I still have issues with her not being Kat, though she really is a fantastic little dog.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche was the first time I went into the kennel and hugged him in his cage and told him "I get to take you home!"

Logan was after the first night I slept with him at the breeder's place. I woke up to a collie nose in my face and then just snuggled him for a while. I do think it took a couple weeks for me to become HIS person, though.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

It takes me a little while.

I loved Bailey from the start (and never regretted adopting him at all, even though it was basically spur of the moment), but it was maybe about six months before we were really bonded. He was a crazy puppy! Plus he had some health issues, and I was totally new to puppies and felt overwhelmed. I love him with my whole heart now and I don't know what I would do without him.

Gracie has only been with me for a week and a half. She's fantastic and I like her a lot (most of the time, lol), but she's soo different from B (which I wanted, but which is still weird), she's not an easy puppy, and the whole household is still in transition. So we'll get there but we're honestly not there yet. We're doing a ton of training, though, which I know will help our bond (among other things!). I also have a lot of help so I don't feel quite so overwhelmed.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm All Ears

About 4ish days after I brought Mia home. We were playing chase in the yard and she looked up at me and grinned like mad and that was that. It was a definite feeling of 'this is MY dog!' And neither of us have ever looked back. She loved me from the get go and I loved her, but there was a very tangible connection that day. I have a picture taken of her at that moment, I just don't feel like digging it up.

Summer and Mia were both 'mine' the moment we got them home in that they just latched on to me and chose me to follow around from the get go. Summer was my girl completely once she got into the swing of things at college. But I really didn't get how close we were until I had to spend so much time away from her when my mom got sick and we left her at her breeder's/old home. Afterwards she never took her eyes off of me.

I still don't feel like Beau is mine. I still see him as my mom's dog and I think I might always see him that way. Beau and I have always enjoyed each other but in the annoying brother/sister way. He and I like to mess with each other but I don't have that same kind of always following, always watching me like I do with Mia and Summer. He is getting happier and happier when he sees me though. Maybe it will happen, I'm not sure.