Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
But from a behaviorial standpoint, what you're actually probably doing is teaching the dog a pain tolerance. I have a friend who trains with a remote shock collar. He starts out with a high level shock, basically making a big impression on the dog, and then turns it down after that, using a low-level shock from then on out.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you do that, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to use a low shock and make it progressively higher.
Pat Miller writes that in order for positive punishment to be effective, it needs to be harsh enough to only need to be applied once or twice to make the point so to speak.... so starting out on a high level rather than starting out low and going up would make sense to me as well.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

How I have been taught to use e collars (for training recall, rattlesnake training ect, not barking) is that you start off with the lowest possible setting the dog responds to and you tap the dog for unwanted behavior. If the dog blows you off, you make a large jump in setting to get their attention and then you drop back down. Gradually and slowly increasing will just up the dogs tolerance for the correction. The same way nagging with a prong or choke chain will create a dog that tunes it out.

One good correction is worth ten nagging corrections. Good luck with the collar. We're about to that point with Ozzys barking. We thought being in the country hed have less to bark at. We were wrong
Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Except she wasn't saying that they are a bad thing and not to use it, she was giving her experience with it. Same as you could come in and give your experience about another collar without being jumped on, like many people before have.
As Cali has since pointed out, she explicitly asked for advice on how to go about using the bark collar and NOT to be "jumped on" for choosing to one. Others were not simply sharing their experiences, but attempting to sway her away from her choice.

I don't want to be snarky, but Cali obviously has tried everything and is using the bark collar as a last resort. She doesn't need horror stories.

To the people that are recommending starting at a high level, I'm just curious if you have first hand experience with it....
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
With all due respect, I don't want and didn't ask for bark collar horror stories. I want to know how to use it successfully to minimize usage, that's all.
To be fair mine wasn't mentioned for a 'horror' story. More as a cautionary tale to check it frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Telling stories about the prongs leaving marks from the collar being left on for too long (no the shocks cannot "burn" your dog), is as relevant as me telling stories about buckle collars buried deep in a dog's neck from it being left on too tight for too long.
Well then lol. If someone is asking about using one, how is it not relevant. I didn't say DON'T use one. I said these are some issues I have dealt with so be aware so you can avoid them. If I asked for advice I would love people not to just say you do it like 'this' but also examples of how to mitigate potential issues that you might have thought of.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Show Dog

Which bark collar did you buy?

The way I'd use a bark collar would be different to how I use my remote training collar.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Yes, I've used the collar on myself. All the way to its highest setting. It hurts like a bitch. But if my dog is chasing a deer towards the highway I need something that is going to get his attention.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

I have an Innotek spray collar and I LOVE it. It's not a bark collar specifically, it's a remote collar, but they do make bark collar versions. The remote collar can be used for more than just barking (but if barking is all you need it for, then a bark-specific collar would have better timing). Admittedly the spray may not work for a hard dog, but for my dogs it's plenty.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

It has a vibrate only setting, as well as 7 "levels" of shock.

She does not give a darn about spray in her face. I just end up with a barky (albeit sweet smelling) dog. I wish that solved it She's too stubborn though.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Just try me..

Ya some dogs just don't care about being sprayed, and some find the spray more upsetting than a shock. Its good you tried the spray first.

LOL I would threaten to turn them into air fresheners if they didn't shut up!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
She does not give a darn about spray in her face. I just end up with a barky (albeit sweet smelling) dog. I wish that solved it She's too stubborn though.
Sweet smelling? I had to change to unscented because I couldn't stand the citronella lol. My dogs are both fairly soft.