Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Are you bothered by vocal dogs?

Just curious.

Nikki was a loudmouth and I don't know if that plays any role in it, but vocal dogs have never been a problem for me. Even shrill, ear piercing papillons. I always thought it was strange that people really worry about how vocal a breed is because it's just a non issue for me.

Then on Friday I took Josie and all the dogs for a walk. Mia gets VERY excited when we go somewhere and will spend the entire ride there making various vocalizations. Whining, some shrieking, etc. It's just what she does when things are exciting. Never has bothered me at all. So it's about a 15 min ride to the place we were going and I could tell Josie was getting completely annoyed by Mia. She keeps looking back at her and glaring and finally says 'I could not live with your dog'.

I've stayed over here 4 days now and there have been several times when Mia starts getting excited and 'talking' and it is clearly just driving Josie up the wall.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Plus One

I cannot stand it. Barking if there's a reason, I'm fine with but barking senselessly annoys me. Whining drives me up the wall which is unfortunate as it seems to be all my dogs are capable of now Tika is in season. Fudge does "talk" occasionally but he does it so infrequently and for short periods of time that it's endearing and not annoying. But overall vocalness does annoy me.
Top Dog

Yeup drives absolutely nuts too. Some barks for a legit reason are good, shrieking if I'm restraining him and throw the ball, that's fine. But that anxious/excited whining or shrieking for a prolonged period, or too much barking, no. When my mom comes home her dog goes crazy, barking, growling, rooing, yapping, tearing around... I HATE IT.
Tru evil has no pantyline

I own 2 VERY vocal Paps. So either I don't let it bother me or I lose my mind.

When I am particularly hormonal I yell at them, otherwise they don't bug me.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Heck yes. I can't stand barking. Both of my dogs are fairly quiet, as long as nobody is at the door. Gusto "hums" when he is excited. It is bearable because it isn't too loud.

I'm sensitive to noise in general. I've had to leave the house when my father has the TV on too loud.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
such sights to show you

In general, yes it bugs me. But it depends a bit on the particulars. When the dogs are playing with each other and play growling/barking, not really. Whining and shrieking in the car for 15 minutes straight? Oh yea, that would bug me.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

I hate barking. If there's a reason to bark, fine, but two or three barks is definately sufficient. And when my dogs are on leash with me, unless it's dark and a bad guy is literally on the verge of attacking me, they must stay quiet.

Honestly, I guess, barking doesn't bother me that much; but what bothers me is that barking bothers other people. It's super obnoxious to be in a training class and my dog (*coughKeegancough*) is barking over the trainer, so that she has to stop and wait for him to shut up. It's annoying when he barks at the neighbors just out working in their yard. It's distracting to other dogs when he barks at them at the park. Etc.

Ooooh, and DON'T get me started on DEMAND BARKING. First rule in my house: Do NOT bark at ME.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

The only barking I don't like is when a dog barks at everything and nothing for no reason. And really reactive barkers can drive me nuts sometimes too - you don't need to bark every time you hear a noise outside or inside. Ripley's brother is like this and I hate it. Can't even watch TV with that dog.

Being vocal in the car irritates me. Both Dobermans are noisy car riders (scream and whine) with excitement, and now Dance has started whining and sqealing in the car too, thanks to them.

But I love talkative dogs. We've had three talkers now and I love when they roo and woo and makes all sorts of funny noises at you when they're happy. Really, the only barking/noise I can think of that really bugs me is barking that makes no sense and is irrational. And for everybody that could mean something different. But for me it's when a dog barks to seemingly hear their own voice, demand barks/barks to get something they want constantly (for a toy, dinner, outside) and won't stop or be quieter when you tell them, or, as said above, when they're extremely reactive barkers toward every little thing.

I've lived with all sorts of barkers and none of them really drove me up a wall. I guess I just get used to it or something based on individual dogs. The only dog's barking I truly cannot stand is Ripley's brother that I've taken care of a few times. He just stupid barks.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Doesn't bother me. But then again, I wouldn't be able to own the dogs I do (especially Kimma) if it did. Sometimes they get out of hand with the alert barking, and I teach them that "enough" means to stop. They're pretty good about that. The reactivity barking bothers me, but that's something we are always working on (and only with Kimma and Bubbles, who really aren't terrible anymore). In all, though, I honestly LOVE a lot of the noises they make

ETA - I even don't mind when Kimma barks at agility class anymore because it's "I WANT TO PLAAAAYYYY" barking, not full-fledged attention barking (there is a difference with her). I think that if I made that go away, she wouldn't be as excited to work as she is. She actually never barks while running a course/sequence, though. I only feel bad because sometimes I feel like we bother other people.... If she's terrible and someone is trying to talk, then I usually take her outside for a minute and come back in when she's calmer.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Resident fainting goat

honestly? it does kind of drive me bonkers. Any repetitive loud but not evenly timed NOISE (like barking. snoring. construction work. people hammering walls) drives me nuts lol

A couple of barks doesn't bother me at all, I think a few barks as alerts for things are fine (door bell, there is someone outside, throw the ball NOW etc..) but the idea of being in a car or in a home with an animal that barks for any long period of time just to vocalize or the ENTIRE TIME they are excited would grate on my nerves..pretty quickly.

More so than barking/vocalizing bothers me (I actually don't mind barking in general) barking for any span of actual time longer than a few seconds bothers me. With dogs that bark/vocalize the ENTIRE TIME they are excited (like during car rides, while you prepare food, etc..) I tend to react a bit like your sister with the "I couldn't live like this.." lol

We teach our dogs at home to alert bark. They can bark twice at the door bell/someone outside and that's it. They can bark freely when OUTSIDE during play. but inside or in the car, with rare exception, no barking/making noises.

Perhaps it's living in an apartment/condo. but it has always seemed like such a natural thing to teach dogs not to bark/vocalize for any length of time.
So I guess my ears just aren't used to it when I am around people who allow vocalizations and barking as a regular ok thing lol

Oh and by "vocalize" I mean LOUD vocalizations (Barking, loud whining, grunting, etc...)
I don't mind when dog's "woo" or quite whine or chuff or anything else they use to express themselves as long as it's relatively quiet