Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
*Now with Snark*

Default Alarm systems and companies?

Do any of you use an alarm system or home monitoring company?

I'm trying to figure out which company to go with installing a security system at our family summer home. I know it's not going to be an easy install (there's no phone line or internet) so I am scratching my head figuring out what to do and who to go with.

So any recommendations out there?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Love My Mutt <3

anybody I know with alarm systems, plus my work all have ADT. Other than that, not useful LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

I use Monotronics. But I'm pretty sure you need a phone line so it can be monitored and relayed to the police station. They are reputed to have a very quick resonse time, which proved true when I had a false alarm. lol. Soooooo embarrassing. I forgot that it wasn't just the Chihuahuas at home. They're too low to set off the motion detectors. I also had Toker, my son's dog there while I went out. The neighbor told me the police came and were walking all around in the back yard checking it out.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

My dad owns a local alarm company, he would hook you up, but I'm sure you don't live in Maryland so I guess I'm useless.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
My dog tickles my soul

We used to have ADT, we recently switched to a local company (Guardian) for upgraded features.

We didn't have any issue with ADT while we had them, but as soon as we cancelled their service realized that if there HAD ever been a break-in... ADT was next to useless.

We called ADT to cancel, and then had their system disconnected and the new system installed. TWO WEEKS LATER, ADT called us to say, "We've detected that your phone lines have been disconnected or cut. Do you want us to investigate a potential break-in?"

US: "Um, we cancelled and disconnected your service two weeks ago..."
ADT: "Oh, well, we only check the disconnection alerts once a month or so, so we just didn't see it until now."
US:

Basically, if a burglar HAD cut our phone line to deactivate our alarm system, they could have robbed us blind and/or murdered us, and ADT wouldn't have noticed anything amiss for WEEKS, much less sound an alarm or call the police.

Our new system is wireless, so there are no phone lines to cut. I'm glad we made the switch.

ETA: Long story short, I would do your research on local alarm companies. Find out what options they have for your specific situation. Since you mentioned no phone/internet... wireless may be the way to go, or you can also consider just putting in a no-frills landline, if the price to upgrade to a wireless system is too high (it's a pretty pricey upgrade... *sigh*)

Also... sorry about my rant. It probably wasn't all that useful.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
<--------Orson

Another here to say DO NOT GO WITH ADT............they are less than useless.

We had the back door alarm violated more than once and the police were NEVER notified........never. One time my sister (lives an hour away) came to visit and we weren't home. She figured she'd just come in the back door (with her key) and wait on us (she knew the dogs, the dogs knew and loved her) so no prob there. As soon as she opened the back door, the alarm went off. She went back to her car and figured she'd wait for the cops and explain, LOL............no cops were notified or showed. I could give several accountings of the same.

I will say their fire monitoring was excellent. Any time our fire alarm went off, the fire dept was notified BEFORE adt called us to check in...........and that happened several times, LOL, teenagers learning to cook can cause a ruckus, LOL

As to their billing, PFFFFT.........crooks. We cancelled by phone and in writing the day our contract was over. We had them set up on bank draft and they took another months pay. I called, they said they'd clear it up. Next month, same deal.........I called and was NOT nice. They then tried to tell me why we owed them even more money

I ended up going down to Wells Fargo and having them block any more payments from ADT. You know what Wells Fargo told me? No worries.........trust me, you aren't the first one to have to block ADT.

So ya, I'm no help on any other security company, but I can repeat STAY FAR AWAY FROM ADT!!! Bad monitoring, poor customer service, and worse billing!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
As to their billing, PFFFFT.........crooks. We cancelled by phone and in writing the day our contract was over. We had them set up on bank draft and they took another months pay. I called, they said they'd clear it up. Next month, same deal.........I called and was NOT nice. They then tried to tell me why we owed them even more money

I ended up going down to Wells Fargo and having them block any more payments from ADT. You know what Wells Fargo told me? No worries.........trust me, you aren't the first one to have to block ADT.
Holy crap they did the same thing to us! We had to change our autopay information to an inactive card for them to stop billing us, and then they owed us money for the month (maybe two? don't even remember now) that they kept billing us. We called every week about that refund for about six weeks, and every time they told us, "it was put in the mail yesterday". Jon finally demanded a supervisor and was SUPER not nice. Then we finally got *most* of our money back.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM
<--------Orson

I just wrote it off as "Good riddance to bad rubbish" and didn't contact them to get our money back.........I was just happy to be done, LOL

I've heard similar billing nightmares about ADT from more than one person
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

It wouldn't hurt to read some customer reviews on companies you're thinking about using. I think a smaller, more local thing would be better too. I'm pretty sure that's what I have. The guy was comparing his co. to ADT and mentioned some things that are better with Monotronics. Naturally, he's the salesman. But he was also an ex cop. Anyhow, so far, I'm happy with them. Good luck. It does give peace of mind to have a security system like that.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
*Now with Snark*

It's just a bizarrely complicated install. Not quite sure what systems and companies can really handle it. So far I've heard back from ADT, Protect America and I'm waiting to hear from Frontpoint. So far everyone has been pretty nice - and wanting to do a free house eval when we can schedule it.