Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Evaniaday

Default kamagra tania

good Kharma keeps the wheel turning...
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Durp Dog

See Renee, now the spammers are promoting your tags hahaha!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogKisses View Post
See Renee, now the spammers are promoting your tags hahaha!

Maybe it's Renee's alter ego!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

I haven't read the whole thread yet...but for your first post...

What sort of things does a beginner need to know? They are best in m/f pairings, but whatever pairing you get, they should be spayed and neutered for their best interests. Entire does stand an 80% chance of dying from uterine cancer by 3 years old, and also, both sexes will often spray when entire (and trust me, its not pleasant at all!). I don't think you are in the UK, but in the odd chance you are, they need vaccinations each year for Myxi and VHD. Both are killers, VHD will kill without a doubt, and Myxi is a long disease which unvaccinated rabbits will very very rarely survive.

Should I get a pair of rabbits? If so, they would be same sexed.Rabbits do best in pairs or groups, as a general rule, single bunnies can be very lonely. They are social animals, and if you are away for long periods of time, then yes, they should have a companion.

I have read that Polish rabbits are good for beginners....any thoughts on Polish rabbits or any other breeds? I personally have heard the complete opposite, but maybe there is a difference in Polish in the UK and USA. Polish tend to be quite flightly, full of attitude, and hard to tame. That is the general experiences of people on the rabbit forum I use. Netherland Dwarfs are somewhat easier, but still have a ton of attitude. I love Mini and Dwarf Lops

Can they live in a hutch outdoors? Yes they can, but it needs to be a very large space (ideally 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, with an attached run of at least 8ft). Those are the requirements in the UK, and I don't feel rabbits are happy in anything smaller. Mine have a 10ft x 6ft shed, with a 14ft x 3ft run. If they are outdoor rabbits, they should have company, as outdoor rabbits see far less of their person than indoor rabbits.

This is my bunnies home...

Islay, Jura and Arran's new shed by Niseag, on Flickr

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ayYYwLQgh-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

Can you see that? ^^^ I can't, so try this...http://youtu.be/ayYYwLQgh-w

My Photos
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Has anyone had any experience with mini rex rabbits?
Mini Rex are lovely rabbits, I've never met a badly tempered one. However they are VERY prone to sore hocks, they need thick thick padding under their feet. A friend of mine has Mini Rex rabbits, and she has spent thousands on vet care and home changes to try and keep her girls hocks healthy. She's been battling with them for around 4 years now.

I personally wouldn't have one because of that, but they do have great personallities.

My Photos
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and a well cared for rabbit should live around 8-10 years. My vet's Nethies are 13

My Photos
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
Mini Rex are lovely rabbits, I've never met a badly tempered one. However they are VERY prone to sore hocks, they need thick thick padding under their feet. A friend of mine has Mini Rex rabbits, and she has spent thousands on vet care and home changes to try and keep her girls hocks healthy. She's been battling with them for around 4 years now.

I personally wouldn't have one because of that, but they do have great personallities.
A good way to avoid sore hocks is to provide at least one area of the enclosure where the rabbit isn't on wire. If you look at the picture I posted of Shaker's cage, you'll see white plastic resting pads over the wire. Before I found those, I used a piece of cardboard for my first rabbit. The only problem with that was the poop would scatter all over when he moved. Shaker is going to be 9 next month. I've never had to deal with sore hocks.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
A good way to avoid sore hocks is to provide at least one area of the enclosure where the rabbit isn't on wire. If you look at the picture I posted of Shaker's cage, you'll see white plastic resting pads over the wire. Before I found those, I used a piece of cardboard for my first rabbit. The only problem with that was the poop would scatter all over when he moved. Shaker is going to be 9 next month. I've never had to deal with sore hocks.
In the UK, we don't tend to use wire flooring, rabbits can be seized by the RSPCA for being kept on wire flooring It's not banned, but if the RSPCA find a rabbit being kept on wire flooring, it is usually taken away. I, personally, feel wire flooring is cruelty.

She has used foam mats, baby blankets, and several inches thick with hay. She has never had them on wires, but still, they constantly get sore hocks seems a very common problem I have discovered from being on rabbit forums.

My Photos
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Obey the Toad.

Good to know about the wire. It seems like most of the rabbit homes I have seen for sale online have wire floors.

Can a rabbit be shown for a few years, then altered?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Good to know about the wire. It seems like most of the rabbit homes I have seen for sale online have wire floors.

Can a rabbit be shown for a few years, then altered?
It seems to be more of an American thing, keeping rabbits on wire flooring (no offence intended). I have had many many arguments on YouTube with people showing videos of their 'brilliant rabbit accommodation', and its rabbits in 2 x 2 wire boxes really gets me down.

No reason why a rabbit can't be shown and then altered, but the longer you leave a doe, the higher her chance of cancer, and with both sexes, they will likely spray, just like cats do.

My Photos