Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

I don't like very vocal dogs. The sound scares me and makes me jump. To me, from the dogs I've had, they bark only when there's something wrong or worrisome. I can't get over the fact that if a dog keeps barking, I feel like something's wrong.

It just bothers me, not so much if a dog's playing but just yap yap yap yap irritates me.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 AM
*Now with Snark*

Bodie and Vinnie are yapsticks. It does bother me and I do consider it a potential temperament problem. It is however - slowly getting better but it would be impossible to make them not yappers. It's who they are - it's just not a trait I like.

That said I really like all the other little expressive noises my dogs make.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't mind barking. I mind the constant whining.

I always tell Rosey I love the ferrets more cause they are quiet.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

I'm kind of a nervous person to begin with and have a low tolerance for a lot of any kind of noise. A little barking I can tolerate, but if it's too much, too loud or goes on and on, it makes me nervous.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Lilly's nickname is Silent Dog. So you can imagine the adjustment I had to make with 2 shrill, screaming, whining Papillons.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Knox (surprise surprise) is generally a quiet dog. Which is strange for a GSD. He does have a wide range of groans grumbles and moans, but he doesn't whine and he doesn't bark often. He actually only barks for his tug or ball and so far only on command. He did scream (and I mean scream) in the crate, but he generally reserves that for me when I let him out of the crate now. And I don't mind that because he shuts up when I tell him to.

Enzo is a silent dog. She barks, tops, once a month. If that.

Ozzy on the other hand will bark just to hear himself bark. And he's got that jrt high pitched machine gun bark with all the pleasantness of nails on a chalk board and the rhythm of a marching band. And he can bark for ages. And he barks all the time at NOTHING. Its one of the reasons that I'd like to strangle him most days. It sets me on edge and pushes me so far over threshold I can't stand it. And he has to have the last word. Ugh. Just thinking about how obnoxious he is makes me angry. And he's the only one that demand barks. NO SIR.

He will demand bark for toys, for food for the chuckit, ect. He's gotten better with that because I've quit simply waiting him out to throw it, I just go back inside and ignore him for a little bit. Now he'll bark once and I can put it down and he'll realize what he did, but thats just it, he doesn't realize he's barking I think. Jerk dog. Ugh.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Top Dog

Barking annoys me. I can stand it to some extent, but not for long periods of time. Whining is meh, and "talking" is fine. Gavroche has turned out to be quite the talker (he used to be silent), but it's freaking adorable. It's the growly mumbly cute noise he does when he gets hungry lol <3

I will not tolerate barking in the car or barking on leash. Absolutely not. This is why I refuse to take my parents' GSD anywhere, he barks NON-STOP in the car >.<
Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Top Dog

I've learned to live with a certain amount of barking (Abby is vocal) but I do try to keep it at a minimum for my neighbours' sake. I find that she is less likely to bark when tired (preferably exhausted lol) and well exercised, so I make that a priority as well as training to keep her mind satisfied. Despite this she still is, and always will be, a dog that barks. I am considering a pap or toy poodle for my next dog well aware that they can be vocal. Abby has paved the way for my adoration of lively, intelligent little dogs and the fact that I haven't murdered her yet indicates that I can handle a bit of noise in a dog.

I will admit that she doesn't demand bark at me, but she will let it known when she wants to go in or out by low 'gruffing.' She will gruff when excited in play, but rarely barks unless she is playing with Grace.

Whining is one thing I do find very grating. My grandmother's old kelpie/GSD (RIP) was an absolutely wonderful dog, but the whining.... oh my God.

What breeds are known to be whiners or is this more of an individual dog thing?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 AM
~Lisa~

I have to vocal breeds. That said, yes it can drive me nuts. Blaze does the whin in the car sooo annoying. we do ALOT of 3ish hour (one way) drives all summer long. So it is annoying lol.

But neither are to noisey other wise. unless playng with each other, a bark here and a howl there is fine by me.
excessive barking/howling can and will eventually drive me nuts. Take blaze to a lake, pond, gravel pit any where there is rocks. and he barks. the-whole-freaking-time. at rocks. I eventually have to leash him up as its annoying. Ive tried ignoring him, correcting him to many ways. But all he wants to do is bark at rocks and bring them to me lol
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Top Dog

It depends. Tipper is what I consider the top of my range and she took a LOT of adjusting to. She's the only one of my three that demand barks on a regular basis and that's after a year of us no longer giving into it. She likes to tell me when I'm doing stuff RONG and most of the time I just laugh at her. Or I end up feeling bad because she has no idea what I want her to do so she defaults to frustration barking.

Barking (especially if they'll stop when I tell them to) doesn't bother me near as much as whining/screaming. OMG noisy prolonged whining makes me crazy.

Max (my parent's Airedale) talks when he's sad. If you're restraining him and he's tired he'll start saying "Naaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" and if you squish his sides he goes up and down in pitch. I think it's the most hilarious thing EVER, my parents, not so much. LOL

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013