Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Felurian

Tallulah . . . OH, THE DRAMA!!!!

She can be quiet and usually is, but when she has something to say EVERYONE knows about it.

Truthfully, I get a kick out of all her varied vocalizations. If it was just plain barking it would get old fast, but she literally has a huge vocabulary and it's fascinating.

Bimmer and Kharma are the same way, although they both have the nature to want to be silent until they can scope something out.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Plus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I HATE barking and whining, dogs that whine drive me NUTS.

I love all the adorable little other noises.
This is what I was trying to say but put better.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

Oh yes. Absolutely.

The funny thing is, the shrieking doesn't bother anyone else at home, so I was always the crazy one griping at Liberty for no reason =P

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Fishies!

I have threatened both Buster's vocal cords and life on a number of occasions... His alert bark is a high pitched cross between a howl and a bark. He also thinks people taking their trash out is a cause for alarm. Some days he is nice and quiet, and other days he is a monster. I don't think Ruby barks more than once a week, and even then it is a deep regularly timed bark. That is much better. Of course she does snore sometimes.

I try to enforce the rule that there is no barking until someone touches the door, but that does not always work.

I hate the sound a vacuum makes, I'll either wear earmuffs if I have to do it or leave the room. I can hear my plecos rasping at wood (and they are the small ones) The sound of rain has kept me up before... I do not like noise.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Squishy face

I am bothered by excessive barking. Benji used to bark a LOT and it drove me NUTS. Its funny though, I'm not bothered by the bloodhound (at FOHA)'s baying and he bays all the time. I'm also not bothered by hearing those dogs bark all day. But in my house, excessive barking is NOT COOL. I like Miles, he's a quiet little pom, he only barks when somebody comes to the door.

Other vocalizations are cute. Except that high-pitched whine dogs would do when I worked at the grooming place. Its high enough pitched that its just barely discernible to the human ear. It's like whhhiiiinnnnnneeeeee all drawn out. Drives me bonkers.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM
...ice road...

I like talkers... Zealand is a talker and it's so entertaining! He also barks a fair bit in excitement which I don't mind most of the time, but if I tell him to shush he does. I am more accepting of barking out of excitement than barking for any other reason.

Bindah barks at *everything* that moves, and I can't stand it.

I don't like whining, or dogs that are vocal in the truck.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I love talkers. Or yellers. Or squeakers. Or grumblers. As long as it isn't outright, obnoxious barking, I'm good. Excessive whining gets to me, but a little whine doesn't bother me.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Yes! Yes! Yes! I would not be able to own a "vocal" dog. Certain breeds I would not be able to ever own because of the sound of their bark (GSD's and schnauzers come to mind). Poodles have a tendency to be barky. Thankfully Riley was a very quiet dog! He only ever barked at home if someone was at the door. I like quiet dogs!! Whinning drives me Batty!! Screamers make me want to do things a dog lover should never do... LOL! (I would obviously Never follow through on though!). I really hope "New Guy" will not be a noisy dog. I hate being barked At the most though.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

The only time I really mind is in the car. I just get so irritated by it in the car. It can be distracting and I'd prefer it not in such a small space. Otherwise I don't really mind dogs being vocal. A lot of times I can just tell them to shush and they do , so.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Are you dead yet?

Yeah, vocal dogs bother me. Not in an outdoor setting, not if they're someone else's dog, but living with a dog whose primary mode of communication is to bark would really drive me nuts. Eve is loud enough for my liking, but she primarily uses her "inside voice". Still, there are days when she just wants to BARK and it sets me on edge and makes me grumpy with her.

It sucks, because a lot of breeds I love are noisy. As much as I admire Koolies and Tollers, I had to write them off my list because of the barking and screaming.

I appreciate a dog's right to make some noise, but some dogs definitely take it beyond just needing to communicate. lol.