Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

I almost didn't adopt Zuma because she barked almost constantly out of frustration at her foster home. I cannot stand barky our whiney dogs, I get twitchy and angry real fast. Luckily, my hunch that Zuma was just underexercised proved to be correct and she rarely barks now.

Classic learned to whine and scream in the car thanks to Titan...hopefully one day he will stop.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

YES.

Bailey went through a phase (after we'd moved from a quiet place to a much more busy/noisy one) in which he alert barked at every thing. It drove me mad. He's pretty good now, though, and generally only alerts when appropriate (though he and I sometimes still differ on that!). He just recently started talking back (he's almost 4), when we're asking him to do more difficult behaviors in distracting environments, and it totally cracks me up. I have to try really hard to contain it because I swear it slays me. He'll whine sometimes when he's anxious, but I can't get annoyed by that.

Grace's puppy "get me out of this crate NOW" screaming antics drive me bonkers. It's only been a week, though, so hopefully she'll chill out soon.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Yes and no. It depends on what you mean by vocal. I call Trent a vocal dog, but in reality, he's not that vocal in that he doesn't talk, whine, squeal, cry, and scream all that much. Alert barking is his forte, and he barks and whines out of reactivity, when he is around another dog. He talks to me sometimes at home but mostly because I "talk" back, I don't mind "conversational" vocalizing because I get a kick out of it. But persistent vocalizing drives me crazy, especially anything high pitched (whining and screaming).

Compared to a Sheltie or a Mia he's definitely not an exceptionally vocal dog. He doesn't bark for his toys, he doesn't bark to be let out, and doesn't bark in the car unless he's left alone in a stranger's car Met up with a friend and her dog earlier this week and we left him in her truck for a bit. Big old turd wouldn't stop barking and just wouldn't give it a rest. I think it was more because we were walking away with another dog (he's very dog reactive) and less because he was in a strange car but who knows! He was very quiet when we got back, until we let him out and he saw the dog again LOL
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Really can't stand prolonged high pitched barking or whining at all. I don't mind a few excited or alert barks, but demand barking is a huge NO!

My dogs have all been very quiet and I really love them for that. I've dogsat a dog that barked nonstop while out playing and I just wanted to scream at her! My grandma's dog demand barks for treats and it is so loud and persistent and high pitched that I can't even think.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Vocal as in being vocal during play sessions and such? No. T-Bone does her fair share of play growling and grunting, snorting and occasionally barking. But those are short sessions (and she only barks a few times at once, when we're playing hide and seek for example).

Vocal as in as soon as the dog gets outside it barks nonstop for 15 minutes straight? YES, that bothers me. We have a few min pins in the neighborhood that are notorious for this. I hate it!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia alert barks a lot, but doesn't bark reactively at dogs or anything like that. Nor will she bark for no reason. The big thing with her is screaming and excitement whining. Right now she's asleep on the bed and I know if I said the right words, she'd scream and bolt to the door. The only time it lasts a long time is when she's riding in the car.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Let it be

It does. One bark and we go back inside. I hate it! But Bandit is very quiet unless he wants in so no harm there.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I cannot stand dogs that bark at every little thing! It's so annoying.

Barking when the door bell rings is one thing. Barking just to bark.. SHUT UP!

Sako is a "talker", but he's quiet about it and it's usually just low pitched growls. I find that funny; he only does it when he has a toy and wants someone to play for the most part.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

I don't mind talkative dogs. But dogs*cough*Judge*cough* that bark at things they shouldn't bark at, neighbors, neighbor dogs etc. He wears a bark collar in the kennel. It helps with the nonsense barking.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
orange iguanas.

I hate hate hate it.

Juno is more vocal than I'd like and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I seriously can't stand noisy dogs lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013