Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Just try me..

Darien (11) and his friend (also 11) saw it today. They were fine. They went by themselves and neither are the least bit upset, weirded out by it. Then again they both play COD...

I think 5-8 is way too young. But I agree its a matter of know you child. Darien has a very good grasp of what is 'real' and what is not. I know at that age I had issues with books or movies that were very detailed and would get dreams and nightmares.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't think it's too violent of a movie, given the concept and how the book is written. The multiple times I've seen it, lol, there are a couple scenes where the entire theater gasps in a sort of horror... but I don't think young kids would even get it...

I think you just have to know your kids. Certainly when I was 5, I was watching things that should have been way inappropriate for that age. But it didn't have an affect on me. I know my 6 year old nephew would definitely be freaked out by THG though.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It is a violent, traumatic story line. I haven't seen the film yet, but I've read the books and even then I'd be very cautious letting an elementary school child read them.
^^^Definately. I'm even upset that schools are requiring kids to read them. IMO it's too violent for schools to require kids under high school age to read them, and kids in high school should, frankly, be required to read better books (IMO Hunger Games is NOT literature). I don't care if middle schoolers read them, or if high schoolers read them; I just don't think schools should require them.

My sister's a teacher and her school's going to require it starting next year. She's going to have to teach it to her ninth graders.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Just try me..

I am ok with it being taught to ninth graders. No its not literature, but to inspire minds you need something that engages them first. I am an avid reader and I remember dreading the books we had to read for english as much as the next kid. There was no relevance, no interest (except Shakespeare, love Shakespeare)

The Hunger Games, is engrossing AND has loads of topics to discuss and springboard off of.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Kid leering over kid with bloody brick isn't violent?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Let it be

I have not gone to a movie since Briggs was born. I think its pretty obvious how I feel about kids at the theater.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

I saw a lot of horror/gory movies, etc when young. I had a good grasp on what was real and what wasn't, though. I doubt I was going to a theater to see those movies at five, though. But, as others have said, parents know their kids best..I'm sure many 10 year olds, etc would be able to separate fiction from reality just fine. Especially if their parents can put things into context, etc. I think a 5 year old in any 2.5 hour movie is pushing it, though. No matter the content.

I agree that a 2 or 3 year old in the theater meant their parents just didn't get sitters. We saw the movie. Our kid was happily at his sitters having a great time, though, lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like they couldn't get a babysitter. I haven't seen the movie yet but recently read the books. Definitely not something I'd take my small kids to. I'm kind of surprised it's required reading in schools. It seems too violent to be forced on kids.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Kid leering over kid with bloody brick isn't violent?
Not as violent as the original scene in the book with the muttations at the end of the 74th Hunger Games or how the girl who died from the tracker jackers appeared to Katniss...

Yes, there is violence and the PG 13 rating is appropriate, but I didn't find the movie nearly as gory as it could have been.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
^^^Definately. I'm even upset that schools are requiring kids to read them. IMO it's too violent for schools to require kids under high school age to read them, and kids in high school should, frankly, be required to read better books (IMO Hunger Games is NOT literature). I don't care if middle schoolers read them, or if high schoolers read them; I just don't think schools should require them.

My sister's a teacher and her school's going to require it starting next year. She's going to have to teach it to her ninth graders.
I don't think it should be *required* BELOW high school, but I had to read Lord of the Flies in high school, which I did not like....now if Hunger Games replaced that, I would actually have interest in the required high school reading!