Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Show Dog

Default Talk me down?

I know this might be a terrible place to come to be talked out of a puppy, but...well I need council. We recently had a young bully breed puppy brought back to the shelter less than 24 hours after being adopted. The reason? It was growling at the adopter. She acts like a typical puppy. Yes, she throws some tantrums and acts like a little landshark, but she's just being a normal, mouthy puppy.

Still, she's gotten a bit of a reputation for being a 'bad dog.' I made the admittedly poor decision to take the puppy home overnight. She was just too **** cute. And I have a soft spot for the dogs that wrongly get labeled 'bad.'

So. Pig is in love. Bear thought this new creature was the most fascinating thing ever...then she bit his penis. He likes her a bit less now. However, Pig did the same thing when she was younger and he decided she wasn't all bad.

My sister fell in love when I texted her a picture while I was still at work. When I came home with the puppy, she gasped and declared that I was not going to be bringing it back to the shelter tomorrow. My brother seemed far less enthused. He's not a dog person, he's a cat person. And his cats hate the current dogs. He did give in that it was "pretty cute."

I own my home, so there're no worries about renting with three dogs/a bully breed. I would be able to crate and rotate if it came to that when she matured, however I would prefer not to have to. I can financially afford a third dog and have the time to devote to another puppy.

Still, I was not planning on adding a third dog at this time. Pig is just starting her agility training and only just turned one at the beginning of this month. Also, I really wanted to get my next puppy from a breeder. I adore bully breeds, but I really wanted my next dog to be either a dobie, a mastiff or a herding breed. Yet, not one of my dogs have ever been planned and they've all ended up being exactly what I needed. I just don't want to keep this girl and end up regretting it.

Also, I am going away for a week at the end of April for my brother's wedding. I already have plans to board my current two, but I wouldn't want to board a 3 month old puppy. I asked a friend if they would be willing to dog-sit a hypothetical puppy for me at their own house for that week and they said yes. Still, I'm terribly conflicted on this. I know it's a bad idea and yet part of me thinks it's the right idea.

And because I know this thread would be useless without pictures:
These are from when she was hanging out with me at work

Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Professional Nerd

OMG, she is so cute!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Love My Mutt <3

How does the shelter handle "bad dogs"?

Really, it sounds like you are in a good situation to take in a third dog, but if you are going to regret her, that won't be fair to you OR her. Can your sister take her, possibly? (Does she live with you??) If she *does* live with you and she takes responsibility for this puppy... would you be able to take on a fourth further down the line? Would you want to?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Let it be

I'd probably keep her myself. I'd be all ITS FATE... But if you think you will regret her maybe she is not your third dog.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Show Dog

If she goes back to the shelter she just won't be adopted out to someone with young kids and the adopter must have previous dog experience, preferably with bully breeds or just 'harder' dogs.

My sister does live with me. We share the house with our brother. All three of us are adults (22-35). My sister and I semi share responsibility of the current dogs. Ie, if I'm not home she'll feed them and let them out. She comes to class with Pig and me, but just to watch. The dogs are mine though, even though she likes to call Pig "half hers."

Adding a third wouldn't necessarily prohibit me from getting a fourth. However it would push things back quite a bit. Which might not end up being a bad thing. My breeder puppy was supposed to be another competition dog and if I kept this bully, Pig (my current hopeful) would be even further in age from the next sport dog.

But that face. Ugh, she slays me. And she snores. It's terribly endearing.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Another thing, is if you are worried about training with the two young ones, since your sister likes to come to classes with you, maybe she could do the classes with the puppy?

She is frikkin adorable... LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
But that face. Ugh, she slays me. And she snores. It's terribly endearing.
Sounds to me like you've already decided =P

She -is- pretty cute....

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

I could have possibly talked you down, but then you posted pictures and it was over for me.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Another thing, is if you are worried about training with the two young ones, since your sister likes to come to classes with you, maybe she could do the classes with the puppy?

She is frikkin adorable... LOL
I tried to get my sister to handle Pig once in her first puppy class...it didn't go so well. She likes to watch Pig work, but gets flustered when she's the one working her, especially in public. Still, training is one of my favourite parts of dog-ownership, so I wouldn't mind. lol

She's been an angel so far, she's tired from running around with Pig before. Still, it's been less than a year since I had to housebreak a puppy and the sleepless nights are still fresh in my memory...
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 AM
APBT crazy!

Oh my she is WAY too cute!!