Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Like have you ever been asked in an interview "what do you do in your space time?" .
I didn't know that was illegal. I've always hated getting that question. I mean really, what's the best way to answer that?

First of all, most of my spare time is spent doing activities with my dogs. So if I'm applying to a dog training job, you'd think that'd be a good thing; but it could also mean that I'm not very interesting if I literally spend ALL my time - at work and at home - with dogs stuff. And if I'm applying for a non-dog job, maybe the employer doesn't like dogs, or thinks I'll start asking to bring my dog to work or something annoying like that.

Really, the only thing to do is to grasp for hobbies that make you seem well-rounded. Like, I made a quilt (with my mom's help!) about 2 years ago and haven't really sewn since; but if you ask me my hobbies, I love quilting!

But yeah, it'd be a lot nicer if they just didn't ask that at all.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yup... they are only allowed to ask you about your qualifications to do the job you are interviewing for. They also can't ask if you have kids, though the argument is if you have kids you might be "distracted" while at work or having problems with the hours and blah blah blah... LOTS of questions they can't ask but are routine to ask.

I was in an interview once and the girl asked me that, so I told her I had two dogs (I had Pepper at the time) and that I did agility with them, so I spent a lot of time training them. And that I was a runner, so I also spent a lot of time training myself. I think I said I was an artist so I did some illustration and design stuff when I had time.
She then said "What else?"
I stared at her blankly. What else?? Um... I don't really have time for anything else beyond that... work, sleep, train dogs, train me... uh... what else...?
To this day I can't figure out what she was looking for, what she expected me to say. "Well when it's warm outside I spend a lot of time washing my car..." I think I'm going to add that next time LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
She then said "What else?"
I stared at her blankly. What else?? Um... I don't really have time for anything else beyond that... work, sleep, train dogs, train me... uh... what else...?
To this day I can't figure out what she was looking for, what she expected me to say. "Well when it's warm outside I spend a lot of time washing my car..." I think I'm going to add that next time LOL.
^^^YES. I've gotten that before too! It makes you feel very inadequate and totally makes you second-guess yourself through the rest of the interview. VERY annoying!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
There was just an article the other day about how many questions on applications and asked during interviews are actually illegal. Like have you ever been asked in an interview "what do you do in your space time?" None of your employers business and it's illegal for them to ask.
BUT if you decline to answer that, good luck getting the job... =P

I agree that it makes sense for a religious institution to hire according to religion (or lack thereof) but for just any place..? Yeah, weird.
got a link?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Squishy face

Virginia must be weird, because I have NEVER been asked what I do in my spare time on a job interview. Every time I've been on an interview the questions have been about the job my my qualifications for it.

One time I had a prospective employer ask if I had a boyfriend, because boyfriends distract girls from doing the job and make them want to call out sick etc. according to him. I think that was the only illegal question I've ever been asked.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!