Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Default Tick Prevention?

Ok so, the ticks here are already getting bad... my vet has never seen them this bad this time of year. SO, I need to seriously think about doing... something for Rosey this year. We go out exploring in the woods too often to risk it, we're thinking.

We are willing to try the chemical preventatives and what have you.... but any *good* non-chemical ways to prevent them would be very much appreciated (I hate putting chemicals on her, and unless necessary would rather avoid it).

She has no allergies or other special considerations, and doesn't -play- with the ferrets so that's not a concern. She *does* go swimming often, so that may need to be taken into consideration.

I know I can google it, and I have, and I know of other ways through schooling and such... but really, I want to know what actually works for other people

She's about 40lbs (44lbs at her check-up last year but she's lost a few) and is a Border Collie/German Shepherd mix, best guess.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Wookie Collie

Lavender and rosemary oils are natural tick repellents. You could blend them with water as a spray or just dab some on her collar or between the shoulder blades.

There's some dietary tricks that some of our customers claim work wonders, like giving a bit of extra garlic, or brewer's yeast, or apple cider vinegar!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I need to get some lavender and rosemary then. For whatever reason ticks are loving Knox this year. Ozzy and Enzo not so much. I'm thinking something about their dietary differences because everything else is the same but we can (and have) been on fifteen plus woods walks and Knox is the one with the ticks everytime. And he doesn't even go crashing the bush like Oz and Zo. Weird.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

I have real doubts about the natural repellants being effective if you go into woods with a high tick population. I'd like to believe that it will work but I just have my doubts.

My dogs get garlic in their food, supposedly another natural repellant and they become infested with ticks on one of our hikes. The first night we pulled 30 off of Savvy alone and when all was said and done, after a week the count was probably about 100 or so off of four dogs. That doesn't even count the ones which were washed off when they dogs were bathed when we got home. My friend is going to try out a natural repellant for ticks, we'll see how it works out.

I'm looking at spot ons now, probably going to try Advantix first. We used Frontline on the dogs the day after the hike and while it did seem to work some what, it is pretty slow to kill the ticks. And we were still finding a few live ticks on the dogs days after it was applied.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Advantix ALL the way!!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM
<--------Orson

I include fresh minced garlic in my dog food, and I also rinse with apple cider vinegar (about 25% ACV and 75% water in a spray bottle) after a bath and sometimes spritz with a bit for deodorizing. The vinegar aids in removing all the soap too so there's no flakey skin

We've never used pesticide type prevention and have never had so much as a flea........let alone a tick! We live in deer central station around here, I've pulled a couple ticks off my daughter but never the dogs, LOL

If ticks are at an all time high there, I would probably go with some type of treatment from the vet AND use the garlic/ACV as an extra measure
Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I have real doubts about the natural repellants being effective if you go into woods with a high tick population. I'd like to believe that it will work but I just have my doubts.

My dogs get garlic in their food, supposedly another natural repellant and they become infested with ticks on one of our hikes. The first night we pulled 30 off of Savvy alone and when all was said and done, after a week the count was probably about 100 or so off of four dogs. That doesn't even count the ones which were washed off when they dogs were bathed when we got home. My friend is going to try out a natural repellant for ticks, we'll see how it works out.

I'm looking at spot ons now, probably going to try Advantix first. We used Frontline on the dogs the day after the hike and while it did seem to work some what, it is pretty slow to kill the ticks. And we were still finding a few live ticks on the dogs days after it was applied.
I'm definitely in agreeance here. Natural repellents work well for moderate repellent, but when it comes to tick-infested areas Advantix is the stuff. I plan on using it on Finn this year, as I've heard good things! We sell Hartz UltraGuard at work, but I hear mixed reviews on it.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

We use organic neem spray, which does a great job on walks and parks of repelling ticks/fleas/mosquitoes
http://leerburg.com/57.htm

but in high forested/really bad brushy wild areas.. I would try advantix. I've never used the neem spray for that kind of environment and I wouldn't risk it
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I honestly would NEVER use any Hartz brand anything! I have seen some Serious reactions to dogs and cats from that. One cat had 3rd degree burns and peeling skin all down his back and sides, and his brother died. Also seen some serious neurological effects on some dogs. I do not trust them.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
I honestly would NEVER use any Hartz brand anything! I have seen some Serious reactions to dogs and cats from that. One cat had 3rd degree burns and peeling skin all down his back and sides, and his brother died. Also seen some serious neurological effects on some dogs. I do not trust them.
This. Putting pyrethrins on a dog makes me nervous but I 10000% would not touch the stuff if there's a cat in the house.

We sell "Sentry Natural Defense" but I don't know much about its efficacy. Its got like peppermint, thyme, and other herby stuff like that in it.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013