Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

Default Encouraging Food Drive in Public

Was just curious about this.

What's the best way to encourage food drive 'out and about'? At home she is great, happily works for rewards. I would like to do more with her out, but on walks/at the store/etc she has no interest in food. I've been thinking lately of doing a few classes but I'd love to be able to easily reward her. She is NOT toy motivated at all in public either. So/so at home.

She isn't horribly nervous or anxious when we are out, but she is definitely reserved and quiet.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

You have to build up to it very, very gradually. Lucy had zero toy drive outside of our living room. I worked one summer to build up to tugging in other rooms of the house, and then eventually to the back porch, then the backyard. The front yard was harder (more distractions there with traffic and people and dogs), but I gradually got so we could play tug in the front yard so long as there wasn't an immediate distraction present. I gave up then because I went back to work and it just wasn't a priority, but I imagine I could have continued to stretch her comfort zone further.

I also trained her to "rev up", with a "READY, READY, READY!" cue. I trained that one so I could attempt to replicate the adrenaline at trials, but it's also helped to get her excited about whatever we're doing in other environments.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
and Fozzie B!

You need higher value treats!!! String cheese works really well, so does gross greasey chicken, chicken hearts baked in garlic powder, and green tripe treats. Secondly you need to be aware when your dog is over threshold. A dog who is over threshold cannot learn, as they are in fight or flight mode and are overstimulated. Put space between you and the stimulus. Practice with high value treats in your back/front yard at first, then slowly up the distractions. Using a clicker helps A LOT as dogs become very focused when they know you have a clicker, once they realize clickers = amazing! (:

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
You need higher value treats!!!
This. Find something that she goes bananas for and only use it out in public.