People that work 40+ hours a week

jess2416

Who woulda thought
how do you manage to find time to do ANYTHING???

I recently went from part-time (30 hours a week) to full-time (40+ hours a week) and my time management skills are severely lacking as far as housekeeping lol...

When I was working part-time a few days a week I would have short days where I would work 7am-2 (for example) so I would come home rest for a few hours and clean. However now I normally don't get home till around 5pm or 6pm and my time I get home and relax its time to go to bed...

I know I "could" do this stuff on my days off, but who wants to clean all day on their day off???

help??

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Beats me. I'm really bad at cleaning with or without 40 hours a week at work. I try to spend a few hours Saturday cleaning house and doing yard work. But my house is nothing spectacular.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
When DOug was working both jobs (6 days a week, 8+ hours or more a day) there was no way he could help much with the house cleaning. He was almost always exhausted. So he only had a few select chores that were his and I keep up with everything else. Now that he is only working the one job (40 hours even a week)it is much easier now. He has every other weekend off and every wednesday off. So he helps a lot more but he has no set things he has to do. He basically will help me when he sees what I am doing or if I ask him for help. He is not half as tired anymore and we have more time to relax together. Though that will change with the puppy coming in June and then the baby (or babies if it is twins) in November.

yoko

I'll usually do smaller stuff like vacuuming or cleaning a bathroom after work. Then by the weekend I don't need to clean so I sleep and relax. But I feel the best if I only sleep about 5-6 hours. So I have quite a bit of free time to do stuff and can see how people who need a full 8+ hours could have issues.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
my place isnt "spectactular" but i at least like the place to be tidy LOL!! Right now its awful Ive been straightening up since 2pm lol and its not like **** is filthy I just have clothes and cleaning supplies and towels and mail EVERYWHERE!! I keep telling myself Im going to straighten up a little everyday, but its just not happening lol! You wouldn't think that those 10 extra hours a week would make such a big difference but it really really does.

elegy

overdogged
I suck at housekeeping regardless of how many hours I'm working. Mostly I try to power through it on the weekends. My problem is that so often I'm tacking on dog stuff after a full day of work, so by the time I get home, I'm so exhausted that the last thing I want to be doing is running a vacuum or scrubbing a toilet.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Cleaning was a big issue I had. I just wasn't good at it lol. But i really started making and effort and making myself do a little each day. Slowly it started to become habit and I would just do It. Then one day when hannah was at preschool for the day ickeaned the crap out of the place so it was sparkling lol and after that I vowed I would keep it tidy and just do a little here and a little there and just keep thigs picked up

Next thing you know ... I was a domestic goddess lol and my house is clean and stays clean even with hannah trying to foil me at evry turn LOL

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, I do it all on the weekends. Sometimes I do things at night like maybe the laundry... but usually it waits until the weekend. Sunday usually. Saturday I usually have too much else going on.

crazedACD

40 hours a week, online school full time, and a house full of critters...I don't know, I clean on my days off mostly.

I used to work mostly 8-4, now I work mostly 10-6/630. I think the 8-4 was way easier to find time to clean...could come home, do a few things, and still find time to chill.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I just do a little bit every day. Well, I try to, at least. One problem I am still trying to master is ironing clothes. I tell myself I'll just do it right away when pulling clothes out of the dryer.... but I usually end up ironing what I wear for work in the morning and it blows. Like now, I end up with a huge pile of clothes to iron and it's very discouraging. LOL.

Red Chrome

I literally give up sleep. I am not willing to give up fun time, so I give up sleep. I have a rule for myself that I must clean for at least a 1/2 hour before bed every night. No matter what time it is when I am thinking about bed.

My house isn't the cleanest, it is lived in and comfortable. Clean enough but it doesn't sparkle!

CaliTerp07

Saturday mornings are our house cleaning time. Zach usually tackles our bedroom and strips the sheets and takes care of doing/folding the laundry. I straighten and vacuum and mop the main level. The basement usually stays manageable, and just needs straightened or maybe lightly vacuumed.

During the week I really try to stay on top of dishes (because that grosses me out to leave them in the sink), and I'll straighten/vacuum on Tuesday/Thursday nights, usually, when Zach is out of the house and I'm by myself.

I work practically full time (32 hours/week), and then I have about 10-12 hours of classes a week (plus homework). Add to that house stuff, dog stuff, etc - well, let's just say I sleep very little lol.

k9krazee

I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues budgeting time! I work between 50 and 60 hours a week and I try, try, try keep things clean as I go. If I have a lot going on at work or I've had little sleep, it will all wait until I have a break or a day off. I don't have a kitchen, I rarely spend any time in my apartment so making the bed in the morning, taking out the trash and keeping laundry under control is all I really need to do -- but it's harder than it sounds!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't get it either! I work just under 40 hours, usually. Split between 2 jobs so sometimes I go a while without having a full day off. But when I do have free time, I never spend it doing anything productive. It's all about relaxing and doing things I enjoy. And I am NOT willing to sacrifice my sleep!

I absolutely hated when I was working 8-6/6:30 because then there really is no time at all before or after work to do anything. So frustrating.

Snark

Mutts to you
Does the fact I have frig magnets that say, 'You may write in the dust, just don't date it' & 'I cleaned my house last week, sorry you missed it', tell you anything? :D

We try to keep things semi-tidy and do the major cleaning/laundry on weekends or days off. We also go into panic cleaning mode if Mom mentions she wants to visit... thank heavens she's an hour away and needs to call ahead to make sure we'll be home.

Members online

No members online now.