Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Default Vibes for Blue

I've never actually met Blue, but he is my parent's neighbor's 12 year old standard poodle (they got him after I moved out). But I've been paying close attention to his disappearence, both because I just care about dogs and because my mom become emotionally involved (having a dog recently, and having years ago, one disappear at the farm)

Blue disappeared on Monday (this is a rural area and he'd been let out to run around.). When he did not come back that night, it was feared that he'd been killed by coyotes, or that he'd fallen from a cliff and broken his neck. Yesterday, my mother was out looking for mushrooms and any sign of Blue with her poodle, up and the boundary of Blue's owners' property and another farm.

She smelled something terrible coming from a sinkhole. Thinking she'd found Blue, she went to check . . and found a very dead cow and a very elderly poodle, up to his shoulder's in mud and looking up at her sadly.
To make a long story short, it took both my parents, Blue's owners, six firemen, and the owner of the deceased cow, but they got Blue out of the hole. Dehydrated and going into shock from the decompression, he was rushed to the vet, where he was going ok as of last night.

But he's a very old fellow . . . could I get get some vibes for him?

Edit: I left out Blue's owners' handyman among the people it took to rescue Blue. It was quite a production.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com

Last edited by Lilavati; 03-31-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 AM
<--------Orson

You can get a ton of vibes for him, and I'm throwing in some prayers too
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 AM
Show Dog

Wow what a sad story... why were they letting him roam and not looking for him everywhere? Im so sad to hear he was stuck in mud for that long.

Prayers and wishes getting sent to baby blue, hope he is ok
Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice007 View Post
Wow what a sad story... why were they letting him roam and not looking for him everywhere? Im so sad to hear he was stuck in mud for that long.

Prayers and wishes getting sent to baby blue, hope he is ok
To the extent that I know, they were looking for him everywhere. Mom says that where he was found was very hard to get to . . . and considering I lived there for about 8 years and never wandered into that area (I can visualize where it is, but I never went up there) I'm sure she's right. We're talking about hundreds of acres that he could have disappeared onto, much of it rugged and littered with sinkholes. Also, his owners are about ten years older than my parents, who are in their sixties. It was luck that Mom found him; luck and the fact that she is a self-employed silversmith, so she had been crisscrossing the landscape all week looking for mushrooms and Blue.

As for why they let him roam . . . don't ask me. All of the dogs up there are off-leash all the time (it is, as I said, rural). But most of them are supervised off leash (as my parents' are) not allowed to run around loose. And considering that there are coyotes everywhere and several dogs HAVE disappeared in the past few years (Mom's dog that disppeared out there did 23 years go, but there have been others more recently), I have no idea why they let him roam. Mom had warned them about the risks . . . But honestly, I don't know if they were letting him roam this time or if he ran off after deer, or what happened. I haven't seen this couple in . . . 17 years.

Edit: Also, according to the cow's owner, this sinkhole was new. As dramatic as it sounds, the consensus is that it probably opened right under that poor cow last weekend or Monday. So no one knew to look in that particular hole . . . People were checking the sinkholes they knew about . . . Dad had a spaniel fall in one a couple years back (spaniel was fine).

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 AM
Show Dog

Yeah true.

Well i just hope he is ok poor baby must have been terrified.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM
<--------Orson

When I lived in AZ as a kid/teen, we made the term 'boonies' look over populated, LOL Our house was a mile from any paved road, and there was literally nothing for miles. Our dogs roamed wherever they liked, guarded the property, got rid of coyotes, etc It never crossed our minds to confine them, we never lost one (thankfully) and they were quite happy..........a different time and place *shrugs*
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Love my pets

Sending healing vibes.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Felurian

Sending vibes! Poor pup.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Mutts to you

Sending vibes, poor old boy... and poor cow...

Around here, dogs are more likely to disappear from 'bunchers' and I think I'm still one of the few on my road to keep their dogs contained in a fenced area.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Poor guy! It's lucky that your mother found him. He must have been so happy to see his people!

We had a dog take a tumble off a ridge once when we were hunting pigs. Even though we knew the general area it took us almost 16 hours to locate her (she busted a leg but was otherwise fine...she is a yella dog after all!). It's so hard when you have a wide area to cover.