Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Canada Pension raises retirement age for those under 54!

Unfreakinbelivable!!!! So... Now I will have to be 67 to retire, unless I have a pension at work!? After paying taxes my whole life!? Maybe they should look at serious cuts to Social Services (half of the abuses retire at 20!) before punishing those who work their whole life!!!

Don't get me wrong, I know our program here is good, but we PAY into it!

With good jobs that offer pension packages scarce these days many rely on CPP!

If we are so broke lets trim the abusive social services system and lucrative deals for immigrants that DON'T go towork (I have absolutely NO issue with immigrants that come here to work!)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah that's rough.

My dad is 65. He can't retire right now. Although it's not because of Canada pension. He has his own retirement fund (as I would encourage EVERYONE to do... don't rely on another entity to fund your retirement) but he pretty much blew most of his savings paying for my brothers ridiculous divorce (my grandmother is LIVID about this as well she should be)

I think he has started collecting CPP but he still has to work.

But I totally agree, there are so many ridiculous social services that are abused and basicaly reward those who can't be bothered to work.

but this is an excellent example of they people need to take control of their retirement into their own hands.

My mom is in the same boat. She can't retire. She's 62. My step dad can't work. he has Lupus and a particularly aggressive form of it. he WANTS to work. he busted his hump his entire life, paying into these programs. Now he is physically NOT ABLE to work... there are some days where he can barely get out of the bed because he is so sick but do you think he could get approved for disability? NOPE!!!! he wasn't "sick enough" they said. then you see other people who have made a career out of disability who are much more able than he is. no wonder he can't get it... everyone else has sucked it dry.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

It sure is forcing us to examine how we have things set up, at nearly 40 not too many years left to pay in...

We are going to talk with an advisor, once we get the new house built and the other rented it will free up most of my income, time to figure out how to invest it!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

They raised it here a while back too, they're talking about raising it again... I don't see how I'll ever be able to retire. I'm already going to be pretty much living paycheck to paycheck. There's really nothing left to invest, especially since the safest investments require a large minimum to get started...
I'm basically counting on an early death to help me out. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
It sure is forcing us to examine how we have things set up, at nearly 40 not too many years left to pay in...

We are going to talk with an advisor, once we get the new house built and the other rented it will free up most of my income, time to figure out how to invest it!!!
That's a good idea

My dad needs to do the same thing. Now that he's blown most of his retirement money on my brother.

it's rough. I wish they taught more of this stuff in schools. I know I didn't know anything about investing and retirement funds before and I still don't know as much as I should now. Thankfully Brian has a good handle on the ins and outs of that stuff and his dad is EXCELLENT with that stuff so he's a big help.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

Where's Puckstop when ya need him? I don't have the energy to go into the politics of it. And it IS ALL about politics. Be careful what you wish for. People want the things and people they vote for and then wonder why this happened. Yeah, it's disgusting. They want us to work like slaves and then drop dead while we're breaking our backs. How else are all these things everyone wants going to be paid for?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Where's Puckstop when ya need him? I don't have the energy to go into the politics of it. And it IS ALL about politics. Be careful what you wish for. People want the things and people they vote for and then wonder why this happened. Yeah, it's disgusting. They want us to work like slaves and then drop dead while we're breaking our backs. How else are all these things everyone wants going to be paid for?
Thing is.... I don't want anything extra... I want the pension I contribute to, at the same age my parents received it...

There are some mathmatecians out there proving that sure the burdens a bit higher for the years the baby boomers retire, but will end up being leveled out when that generation is, ummm, gone... Then there will be far more paying in than collecting...

I just find it horribly offensive the amount of abusive of services while hard working people pay into their pension, as well as the taxes that support the abusers... And get shafted!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
PSD Partner

Doug and I were discussing this a while back and are not surprised. We had a feeling there would be an increase. More and more people over 65 are having to work even with a pension there just is not enough for basic needs. Having a seperate retirement fund is no longer an option but should be a priority. It does suck that the age has been increased but as we discussed people are living longer now as well so it was expected in our minds.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I think people living longer is the excuse they use.... Those super smart math people are disproving that it would not work...

There are tons of ways to save money, TONS

Next to healthcare, retirement is one of our most valuable assets...

In some cases people work longer because they lived beyond their means and cannot afford to retire ( NOT all, but that's the case with several I know, had to have the big house two new cars and two trips a year even though it was not something they could afford ) now because of a need to keep up, and an unwillingness to downsize they are having to stay working...

John's pension was "small" because he starting paying in late, and paid minimal amounts and it was still decent enough to retire on if you had little debt load, and were not in need of a new expensive car every two years...

I am not saying that's always the case ( and expecting to get flamed for that opinion ) but it happens a lot....
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
I just find it horribly offensive the amount of abusive of services while hard working people pay into their pension, as well as the taxes that support the abusers... And get shafted!!!

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

Benjamin Franklin

He wasn't being prophetic there either, he just read a history book or two. It happened to Rome and it is going to happen to modern Western society. It does not have to, but it will. Stopping it will require politicians with the guts to say NO.

I do not believe VERY strongly in absolute minimal government intrusion (some call it "help") into ours lives because I am mean and want people to suffer. Quite the opposite is true.
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.