Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Leaving the nest

What was your first experiance leaving your parents for good?

As alot of you know Im moving away from home. Right now I still live with my parents, and always have lived with my parents. So the whole concept of moving away from them is new to me.

Now Tyler has been living away from his family for the past 5 years of university so he's all used to it.

I'm not nervouse yet, but I'm sure as soon as reality hits that Im leaving my parents I might get a little more figity lol

Don't get me wrong Im so excited to move, so excited to have my own place, start a new life and adventures with Tyler. And the area we are moving is just full of awesomeness. I told Tyler to expect me to be a tad mopey for the first little while after we move because I will be missing my parents, and probably calling them everyday and vise vera ha ha.

So thats my little boo hooing, if you read it you get cotton candy

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff

Last edited by HayleyMarie; 03-29-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Felurian

I'm no good on this one, lol.

I left when I was 18. Mom hit me in the face again. I told her not to ever, ever do that again. She did.

I don't remember what happened directly after that, except that she has never tried to hit me again . . . and I had 24 hours to get out, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

It's fun. Everyone should do it.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I obviously still live with my parents so I'm no help but I do feel your pain. I'm scared/sad that I'll soon be leaving home (still years down the road, but not many). I love my parents and spend a lot of time with them. My mom is a huge support for me and my dad is like one of my friends. We spend at least half the day if not more together as a family every day. We're all very family oriented so it will be weird. But I'll be moving with my sister so it won't be as bad, and we'll most likely be living in the same town.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Let it be

I left at 19. I didn't spend much time at home before that and was always getting kicked out till I got pregnant. I had Briggs and stayed till he was I think around six months. My mom's drinking problem spiraled out of control. A family friend said I could move in with him and I took the offer. Shortly after that I found my own place. It's been nothing but good things.

I really like living on my own. I could never go back to living under someone's roof again.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

It was very difficult for me. I went through a depression and would cry myself to sleep some nights because I was sure my dad was living in squalor without me LOL

It was hard on me. Still is sometimes... I especially miss my mom. If i could
Move her here with us tomorrow I would lol

But i am very happy and it is now the norm

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I wish the 20 and 21 yr olds would hurry and leave my house. They still seem to think I should have to pay for it all. I left home at 19 and never looked back. Best thingy I ever Dixie.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I left when I was...20? I think? From Pennsylvania to Minnesota for Ryan/school. I cried myself to sleep the first night, after that everything was easier. I STILL miss home sometimes, and how easy home was/would be, but I know I am happier here in Minnesota.

The worst part for me is that I can't just drive a few hours and go see my mom. I have to buy a plane ticket and plan a whole big trip.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

I left for college right out of high school. I lived in a dorm for the first three years so I still moved back with my parents over summer and holidays.

I was actually excited to leave the house. Dad tried to talk me into going to the local community college to save money (I paid for college myself) but there was no way I was going to do that. It's not that my parents were bad or anything, I just was ready to get out on my own. I've always been a bit independent. When I came back on holidays I worked as much as possible. My excuse was that I had to save for college (which I did), but really I enjoyed being out of the house. One summer I worked 65 hours a week at two jobs, commuted over 10 hours a week, AND took a summer class (at that community college ). Best summer ever, LOL.

Now I live 900 miles away, and I really don't mind it. It bothers me sometimes that I miss family events - my niece and nephew's birthdays, cousins' graduations, things like that - and holidays are difficult when I can't go home, but I've just focused on making my own memories, and making a lot of phone calls.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

For good, it was my move to Canada. Prior to that, when I was with my ex, I moved in with him twice: once when my mom and I had a bad falling out, and then again after his mom died and his family left him alone in the house where she was found dead (I felt terrible leaving him alone there so I moved in to make it easier for him).

I guess my situation is rather unique, in that I cannot leave the country, and it was a huge, almost kneejerk decision. I didn't get homesick, really, until I got the phonecall about my dad's accident. Since then, I get terrible bouts of homesickness and some days I don't bother getting out of bed. Again though, my situation is pretty unique.

Depending on how far you're moving away, you may or may not have horrible homesickness. I know my mom had a period where she was really depressed after I left. That made me feel even worse. I didn't know about it but my sisters told me. She was happy for me, but she had empty nest syndrome very badly. I never thought she'd be UPSET to see me go! It helps that they're all only a phonecall away.

Phonecalls make the transition much easier. Also, even if it's weird, I think that having my mom's recipes helps to keep me close to her. When I make her recipes for dinner sometimes, it's like she's there with me. It sounds silly but it's just something that comforts me.

My Polyvore