Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Let it be

I don't mind the early dogs. Most of the before the 80s looked fine to me but I'm no expert. The recent ones just have me scared for the future of those lines.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

This is overstated, but I am such a fan of Bodo Lierburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
Mine is more the early GSD type, still sable...

oops. Wait. That is a Malinois. :P
*grumblegrumble* I swear your Mals all have German Shepherd in them or something...

well, always knew I loved the way your dogs look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
That is NOT a Malinois??!

Are you pulling my leg?
Not sure if this is the same dog I was thinking of, but you should have seen that one puppy Maliraptor brought home around a year back. Stocky, hunky headed, sable thing, I swore up and down that dog was part German Shepherd!

Quote:
I think Knox is pretty close. I was going to post this in a conformation critique thread as well, but I'll stick it here too.

Love Knox!! Seriously gorgeous guy. Angle of the camera makes it look a bit like he is all legs and a big head, but he's also a still a puppy with plenty of time to fill out. Love that dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
Yeah, if the images were flipped so that they were all facing one direction you could just scroll down and easily see the progressions of hips, and body.
What has changed about the hips themselves that is visible?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Well, Knox still has a big head lol, but he's filling out nicely. The ground is also sloped in that picture, I'm going to have to get some better ones soon.

That dog has to be part GSD. Oh my God.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

I suppose if you're looking at the earlier dogs compared to show lines there is a big difference. That seems to be all people ever want to look at when talking about GSDs. The modern show lines (German or American) and how extreme they are and how "the breed is now ruined". It really does depend on where you're looking though. Photos showing those early dogs into modern working lines, you wouldn't see such a big difference.

FWIW in the very early pictures, those dogs were still kinda a work in progress...part of a vision but not quite there yet.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
That is NOT a Malinois??!

Are you pulling my leg?
No leg pulling. That is a Malinois. FCI papered and DNAed.

Mom-

And dad-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
*grumblegrumble* I swear your Mals all have German Shepherd in them or something...

Not sure if this is the same dog I was thinking of, but you should have seen that one puppy Maliraptor brought home around a year back. Stocky, hunky headed, sable thing, I swore up and down that dog was part German Shepherd!

That is her. She is Frankie's littermate. See Frankie posts to see the difference in type.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, it's pretty fascinating the difference the camera angle and height can make, and also the surface the dog is standing on and the way the dog is stacked. I have so many shots of Trent stacked but only three or four (of hundreds) that I like as a representative of his structure and overall build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
No leg pulling. That is a Malinois. FCI papered and DNAed.

Mom-

And dad-

That is her. She is Frankie's littermate. See Frankie posts to see the difference in type.
Crazy!!

Yeah, the reason why I doubted it was the same dog I was thinking of is because I JUST saw Frankie photos/videos and thought "no way this is FrankenPuppy's littermate...

Their sire is STUNNING. Momma is gorgeous, too, love those solid Mals!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

That is pretty awesome. I've never seen a mal sabled like that, or her sire, but I could see how those two coats could produce that. Gorgeous dog for sure.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

my friends got a couple and one is a very black sable especially in summer and his other bitch looks just like my female GSD and they bite the same. Showlines have changed tremendously, working lines ,not a lot.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Wow, I actually wasn't flamed for saying I'd rather have a BYB GSD than an American show line GSD.
Of course BYB GSDs as a broad brush stroke don't follow any standard and they may be in worse health, but in general, I find the less extreme look much more pleasing to the eye and IME healthier.
The AKC needs to adjust their stack just a bit or something- it makes them look that much worse.
My opinion is that just because a dog fits the standard to a "T" doesn't mean it's not poorly bred.

I LOVE Knox. He's gorgeous now and as an adult he's going to be a jaw-dropper. <3
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Wow, I actually wasn't flamed for saying I'd rather have a BYB GSD than an American show line GSD.
Of course BYB GSDs as a broad brush stroke don't follow any standard and they may be in worse health, but in general, I find the less extreme look much more pleasing to the eye and IME healthier.
The AKC needs to adjust their stack just a bit or something- it makes them look that much worse.
My opinion is that just because a dog fits the standard to a "T" doesn't mean it's not poorly bred.

I LOVE Knox. He's gorgeous now and as an adult he's going to be a jaw-dropper. <3
IMO There's really nothing wrong with the GSDCA (AKC) GSD standard. Do the dogs winning fit it to a T? Decide for yourself:

http://www.gsdca.org/Noframes/standard/IllStan1.htm