Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 PM
*Now with Snark*

Default Papillon DNA testing... oh and a question

So they came up with a dna test for PRA1 in papillons. Good news! The test is pretty simple requiring 4 cheek swabs but what is perplexing me is that I need cheek swabs. I have no idea where on god's green earth I can find these in such a quantity for the 3 dogs I would like to test.

In the past when I've done DNA tests they come with a kit, swab included.

Anyone know of a place where I can buy a box?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Top Dog

Aren't they just q-tips?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 PM
*Now with Snark*

they usually are plastic, have a little brush on the end, and come in a sterile sleeve.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Check your local pharmacy. They may have swabs in stock or beable to tell you where you can get them.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Little dog, big voice

Not able to help much with the swabs, but I was just wondering where I could find more information on it? I tried googling it but nothing popped up.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Big Dog

Ask your vet - they might sell you some - they can order them from their vet supply catalogue if they don't happen to have any.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Lord Cynical

Usually the company or university that offers the test will send you the swabs. That's how it works in Dobermans, at least - and we have a ton of stuff to swab for.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm All Ears

This is totally unrelated but has anything come out of the NAD research yet? I should probably become a PCA member again. I was years ago but haven't been in a while.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
*Now with Snark*

No there is not anything concerning NAD this year, I imagine it's too hot button. There was a kerfluffle having to do with the latest disclosures about it as the dog's pedigree had some rather big name kennels in it not normally associated with NAD. Dr. Giger is still searching for samples from relatives of dogs which have died of NAD - sire, dam, littermates, siblings, half siblings, etc. So if you want to help out - the link is on the PCA genetics/health page.

To be honest this thing with PRA was a hard won. I have heard that the marker was found due to the sacrifice/work of one overseas breeder. Even now on one of the papillon boards/lists I'm on people are saying that PRA is not a problem in the breed and they will not be testing for it. *facepalm*

The link to the PRA study http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/services...n-pra-research
Old 03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
No there is not anything concerning NAD this year, I imagine it's too hot button. There was a kerfluffle having to do with the latest disclosures about it as the dog's pedigree had some rather big name kennels in it not normally associated with NAD. Dr. Giger is still searching for samples from relatives of dogs which have died of NAD - sire, dam, littermates, siblings, half siblings, etc. So if you want to help out - the link is on the PCA genetics/health page.

To be honest this thing with PRA was a hard won. I have heard that the marker was found due to the sacrifice/work of one overseas breeder. Even now on one of the papillon boards/lists I'm on people are saying that PRA is not a problem in the breed and they will not be testing for it. *facepalm*

The link to the PRA study http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/services...n-pra-research
Would you mind PMing me more about the NAD stuff that you found out? It's definitely a hot button topic for me for obvious reasons. I'm really interested in how far spread the disease is in the breed. All the dogs I know that died of it were from the same bloodline.

I sent an email about sending in Bernard's samples as well as possibly Summer, Beau, and Rose (they may be too distantly related). Bernard is not registered though and they want a pedigree. I am hoping that won't be a problem although I can see how they would not want to have heresay that dogs are producing affected pups.

Last edited by Laurelin; 03-31-2012 at 12:28 PM.