Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Which way do you like??
North 1 6.67%
West 10 66.67%
South 4 26.67%
East 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Tiny house building site (Help on which way to face house?)

So I need help on which direction to make the "front" of the house....

It's not visible from the road, so really we can point it any way we like...

Looking North:

Looking West:

Looking South ( old building and junk will be removed, be a "cleaner" view... On a clear day you can see Lake Ontario waaay off... The road runs E/W below the hill about 500-600 feet away, the power poll is one that runs up the lane to the shop

Looking East.... this is my least preferred direction, as you can see the shop sits just across the lane (though it's usually not this busy, or junky looking, it is a commercial operation that focuses on heavy trucks and equipment soooo... ) there is also a bunch of scrap metal around right now that is normally not there because we are cleaning the fence lines and pulling years of abandoned equipment out to take to scrap..

So.... Opinions? Vote for your favorite direction....

We also are considering natural sunlight etc in the choice...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I really like the south and West!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Behavior Nerd

If you face it west you can get a pretty view *and* sit on your front porch and watch the sunset!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Twin 2.0

^^That.

I always try to get either a SOuth or West facing house. More light.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

I like an east - west facing house with the morning sun in the kitchen. It depends too, on where you want your gardens and what you want to grow. I have a less than optimal situation in my new house. My back yard faces north and my front, south. So, anything that likes all day sun has to go in the front yard. The back will be for shade loving plants, as it won't get a very long time of sun and only about half the yard will get any sun. I like the north light though...very white and good for an artist so when I paint, it makes things look true. West is not my favorite if it's going to be hitting the kitchen in late afternoon when you have the ovens and stove running. lol. It sets low and gets very hot. If you're only concern is the view, I'd say the west facing view is prettiest, as you can also get in those rolling fields. They're all fine except the one of the junk yard. LOL. Too bad...the rising morning sun is so beautiful.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

West is my favorite as well, the pictures do not do the view justice...

The only part that makes me Leary is that old idea of your house facing where you drive towards it, the drive will be coming in from the East, so you'll be driving up to the back of the house, but as I said it's not visible from the road... Though the room with the most windows will be the living room which we are building off the back... So I considered facing it South and having a patio off the side that faces West out of the Living room (garden doors on the west side of the Living room) with the main view from the living room facing North and the "Entrance" side of the house with the least windows and relaxing areas facing East...

Oh and rising sun? Not a huge issue... I am NOT a morning person... LOL

The shop yard is way worse than normal, 99% of the time there may be a couple of trucks parked in the yard, right now we have tons of farm junk waiting to go to scrap and several more vehicles than usual as its typical Farmer Spring Rush season!! They always bring their trucks as soon as the ground thaws!! LOL
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

I just edited my post. I took another look and yes, the west is the prettiest I think.

When you drive up your driveway and you'd be looking at the back of your house, will you eventually circle around so that you're facing the front? So, if friends come to visit, they get to see the front of your house once they drive around? Where's the garage?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I said west

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

By garage do you mean one attached to the house? Cause if that's what you mean there is none.... We will be building a small detached "Barn look" garage to hold the motorcycles, and lawn equipment and a barn for stock eventually but for now we have a space (about the size of a single car garage) on the back of the shop where we can store all that...
Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

Oh, so that's good. It will keep it less complicated as far as people driving up your driveway. What I mean is...I see houses sometimes where the attached garage is at the back. Maybe there's an alley. So, people coming in their cars to visit never get to see the pretty front of the house. LOL. It is going to be so cool to have all that space to put things. What fun.

Thomas Jefferson