Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Default Child Gets on Wrong Bus . . . Every Parent's Nightmare?

Really?

Wouldn't that, say, something bad actually happening to the kid?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2...htmare-really/

Something like this happened to me as a child. I was most upset. So were my parents. It didn't make the papers. It was just the sort of thing that, well, happens.

Its called a learning experience.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

I can understand why the mother was scared. My mom would have freaked out if my daycare had called and said I was missing. I can also understand being mad at the bus driver for not following policy.

But it was the child's fault for getting on the wrong bus and now the mom knows she has a great, responsible neighbour!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Twin 2.0

How is that the bus drivers fault? They drive the bus, they have a route of set stops, they don't know every single kid and their individual schedule, especially not on a child's second day.

I was a latch-key kid who rode the bus. Sometimes, I'd get to feeling ornery and would get off at a different stop and walk the rest of the way home, just because. There was no one home to see if I was 5 minutes off my normal routine. Sometimes I forgot my key and had to either go to a neighbor's house or sit outside until my mom got home. Tough sh*t. One time I decided to stay after at school to see what Campfire Girls was all about. Now that one did cause a stink between various parties, because when my mom went to pick me up from daycare, I wasn't there. But it never got anyone fired.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

What gets me is the sheer hyperbole. The child was never in any danger. Nothing bad happened. The kid took the wrong bus. Scary for her, and scary for her parents until they find her.

But worst nightmare? If that's your worse nightmare you either lack imagination or live in the safest place on earth.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

it would be my worst nightmare until they found her.

I got on the wrong bus for my first day of highschool LOL. it was terrible. I ended up out at a school that couldn't have been further away from the school I was supposed to be at.

I told the bus driver what happened and he got on his little radio thing and asked if anyone was headed out that way and if they could take me. Another bus driver came and got me and took me to his bus. He stopped at Tim Hortons (coffee shop) on the way over to my school (he had elementary school pick up at the corner of the intersection where my highschool was... convenient lol) and he got me a donut and a hot chocolate lol.

I was SO thankful for him.

Worst part though... my dad didn't even know it ever happened until I told him about it when he got home from work. no one called looking for me or anything lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
it would be my worst nightmare until they found her.

I see your point on that . . . but frankly, something like this happened to a lot of us.

It would be terrifying . . . until the kid turned up ok. At which point . . . its a story to tell their dates when they are a teenager so you can embarass them. Its not news.

This sort of hyperbole . . . its part of what's leading to our massively overprotective society. At least in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
I see your point on that . . . but frankly, something like this happened to a lot of us.

It would be terrifying . . . until the kid turned up ok. At which point . . . its a story to tell their dates when they are a teenager so you can embarass them. Its not news.

This sort of hyperbole . . . its part of what's leading to our massively overprotective society. At least in my opinion.
I'm sure it's happened to most of us... but when a parent gets a call taht their kid isn't where they should be and you don't know WHERE they are you can't help but think maybe you are one of the not so lucky ones who won't have a living child at the end of the day. my first thought wouldn't likely be "oh I'm sure they just got on the wrong bus and they'll be back where they should be eventually" it would be "OMG Where the hell is my kid, is she safe, is she alive, how is she going to get back to where she should be, does anyone know where she is?"

I would FREAK out.

when I was in elementary school (granted I grew up in a smaller town) my mom ran a daycare and some of the kids went to school on the bus with me. If one of us was not going to be at the bus stop that day my mom had to poke her head out and give the driver the nod that she knew one of the kids was not there.

And when we would go home at the end of the day every once in a while we would have a plan to go to a friends house after school... you had to have a note for the bus driver to get on a bus that wasn't yours.

At the end of the day when she was back home safe in my arms and I could see her and touch her and know she was Ok... yeah then I would laugh but up until that point it would absolutely be my worst nightmare. I don't know of any parent that wouldn't freak out if child didn't end up where they were supposed to be and the parent didn't know where they were.

now to make news? that's silly lol but I certainly won't judge a mother for thinking in that moment that their child is "missing" that this was their worst nightmare.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Honestly I think it was handled wrongly, and this is just from reading the comments here.

First and foremost, they should have called the other bus drivers to see if she was on their bus before calling the parent and telling them they don't know where the kid is.

Secondly, at the end of the day, it's not like the kid was stranded. I know protocol, they take the kid either back to their school or to their stop. It's the same thing they do when kids fall asleep on the bus.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Honestly I think it was handled wrongly, and this is just from reading the comments here.

First and foremost, they should have called the other bus drivers to see if she was on their bus before calling the parent and telling them they don't know where the kid is.

Secondly, at the end of the day, it's not like the kid was stranded. I know protocol, they take the kid either back to their school or to their stop. It's the same thing they do when kids fall asleep on the bus.
I also should have read the whole article. She didn't get on the wrong bus to no where... she got on the bus and went home instead of to the afterschool program lol when she got home no one was there, door locked... thankfully good neighbor was home and took her in and called the mother.

so yeah... that is not that big of a deal although my heart would break for my child knowing she was so frightened. Thankfully the neighbor was a good samaritan. I don't know what would happen if Hannah got home and went to the neighbor attached to us on one side... they'd probably just leave her out in the cold lol. But if that were to ever happen she would go across the street to where her babysitter lives and hope they are home.

But I would probably cry just thinking of how scared a little 5 year old would be to arrive home to find mom and dad not there

but yeah my heart would drop out of my chest when the afterschool program called saying she never made it there. It doesn't sound like they knew she got on the wrong bus or where she was at all. that would be my worst nightmare until I knew she was safe somewhere

Quote:
According to Arriaza and school committee members, the girl was left with a neighbor, rather than returned to her school as spelled out in school transportation policy
this quote above also strikes me. the policy is to take the kid back to the school.

I don't know how the bus driver was supposed to know but it is in their policy so there must be some criteria for getting a kid where they are supposed to be and it sounds like perhaps the company has been dropping the ball on adhering to their policies

I also remember in kindergarten part of the teachers job was to take us out to the school buses and not just leave a bunch of 5 year olds to their own devices

If this is the true sequence of events

Quote:
About 4:30 p.m., an hour after school dismissal, Arriaza said she received a call alerting her that her child did not arrive on the bus for day care. She said she called the school but did not get an answer.
and it was an hour after the child should have been on the bus (and conversely would have been dropped of LONG before that hour) and they were just calling to say they didn't know where her child was... what parent would be "oh ho hum I'm sure my kid is somewhere" so the mother didn't KNOW if her kid was stranded somewhere or not. s he has no idea WHERE she was, no idea if she just got on the wrong bus, what bus, going where, where was the child, alone and scared, hurt, who knows.

Panic sets in when someone calls and says your child isn't where they are supposed to be and doesn't know where they are.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I also should have read the whole article. She didn't get on the wrong bus to no where... she got on the bus and went home instead of to the afterschool program lol when she got home no one was there, door locked... thankfully good neighbor was home and took her in and called the mother.

so yeah... that is not that big of a deal although my heart would break for my child knowing she was so frightened. Thankfully the neighbor was a good samaritan. I don't know what would happen if Hannah got home and went to the neighbor attached to us on one side... they'd probably just leave her out in the cold lol. But if that were to ever happen she would go across the street to where her babysitter lives and hope they are home.

But I would probably cry just thinking of how scared a little 5 year old would be to arrive home to find mom and dad not there

but yeah my heart would drop out of my chest when the afterschool program called saying she never made it there. It doesn't sound like they knew she got on the wrong bus or where she was at all. that would be my worst nightmare until I knew she was safe somewhere

ohh yah see, I thought it was like, her normal bus driver noticed she hadn't gotten off.

this quote above also strikes me. the policy is to take the kid back to the school.

I don't know how the bus driver was supposed to know but it is in their policy so there must be some criteria for getting a kid where they are supposed to be and it sounds like perhaps the company has been dropping the ball on adhering to their policies

See, I don't know if it was really the bus driver dropping policy. Did the child *tell* the bus driver she was on the wrong bus, and was supposed to go to daycare, not home, or did she just get off the bus?

I would say that if anything, her normal bus driver would be dropping the ball in not saying anything when one less kid didn't get off the bus at that stop -- at least here, they KNOW how many kids should be getting off at each stop.

Or, why didn't the daycare provider step up and say "hey, we are missing a kid" when the kids got off the bus? It could have easily been solved there (assuming the child hadn't already gotten off the other bus).

I also remember in kindergarten part of the teachers job was to take us out to the school buses and not just leave a bunch of 5 year olds to their own devices

If this is the true sequence of events

and it was an hour after the child should have been on the bus (and conversely would have been dropped of LONG before that hour) and they were just calling to say they didn't know where her child was... what parent would be "oh ho hum I'm sure my kid is somewhere" so the mother didn't KNOW if her kid was stranded somewhere or not. s he has no idea WHERE she was, no idea if she just got on the wrong bus, what bus, going where, where was the child, alone and scared, hurt, who knows.

Panic sets in when someone calls and says your child isn't where they are supposed to be and doesn't know where they are.
I don't know, it seems like it wasn't particularly all on the bus driver that dropped her off, this time. It seems like everybody was in the wrong (except the kid and her mother). The school, the daycare providers, both bus drivers, etc.

ETA: I still can't open the article

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13